10 inch subs JL 10w6v2?

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 203
Hi, I had a previous post about an upgrade to sub/amp and maybe it is better for me to keep my amp Hifonics 1500 and go with a better sub. Right now I have an Orion H2 10 inch but will sell it (actually it is on eBay right now) because it is more feasable and cheaper than selling/getting some 2500 rms amp.

Oh, one other thing if someone has a link to a calculator that will figure out the ohms for two subs, voice coils etc I would appreciate it. I take it that since my Hifonics is one ohm stable I should try to set it up so it is pushing 1 ohm for the max I can get out of it?

So I am considering either one 12 inch sub or two 10 inch (really all I have room for) and came across an ebay listing for two of these JL subs for 525 shipped, don't kmow if these are really any good or not.

Worth considering or should I look at the Brahmas and RE subs also?

Thanks

Oh one other question I guess I should look for a sub (or subs if two) that present a one ohm load for my amp since it is one ohm stable?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5725
There is a guy that is selling a 12W6v2 on caraudiocentral for $300 brand new aside from a little bit of testing.

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3701

It only needs around 400W RMS, your amp will put out more power than that sub needs (not a bad thing if you're easy on the volume). It's a DVC 4 ohm sub.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6361
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 206
Thanks Jon and Rovin I love that plug the specs in and get the results type of thing. So, I see that for my amp the best thing, if I go with two subs, is dual VC 4 ohm, and I think these JL fit the bill. OK, so any opionions on how these stack up to say the Brahma or the RE? Oh, and by the way Jon, I appreciate the info there but the price I quoted in my first post was for TWO of these shipped, (have not shopped around yet so don't know if that is the best price for me or not)

One other thing, so if I get two subs for a one ohm load to the amp, what is the power going to EACH sub is it split in two?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1342
ya you would want 2 dvc4ohm subs or one dvc2ohm sub, and that is a pretty good price for 2 w6v2's, you might also want to consider a 12in IDmax, it has great sq but i would think that 2 w6v2's would be louder though, and your really not gonna find better sq subs than the idmax and w6v2.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5739
You said you were considering either 2 10s or 1 12". The link I posted was for a 12", and it's basically brand new. 1 12" ported will be about the same SPL as 2 sealed 10W6s and will get lower. $300 is a good price for a new 12W6v2. I would have gotten it if I had the space for it.

Also, you don't have to run the amp at 1 ohm. It will last longer if you run it at 2 ohm and leave some headroom.

"OK, so any opionions on how these stack up to say the Brahma or the RE?"

The RE SX, XXX, and the Brahma will get louder in the end. Not by a ton, but enough to notice. I like the SQ of the W6v2 better than all of them, though. W6v2 is plenty sufficient SPL wise.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 210
Jonathon, I am sorry I guess I did not pay attention to the fact that your link was for a 12 incher.

I do appreciate your advice, gives me some options to think about.

Again, sorry I just took a quick look at the link and assumed it was for a 10.

And thank you also Dustin, I can use all the advice I can get.

Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us