Home subwoofer in a car

Username: Conman08

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 2
is it possible to put a home theatre subwoofer in a car (toyota camry)
im a newb, could use a lot of help.
somebody...please

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 351
Of course, power inverter. Will it sound good, probably not. Polo..

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 3
yeah, about that power inverter...i know very very little about speakers, systems, everything. i was proud too hook up a 4 speaker system in my basement. everything in my car is stock. where do i put all the wires and stuff? appreciate any help

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 309
You'd have to get a power invertor, dc to ac, plug the power wire into that and then i would just splice some signal wires off of your 6x9s and patch them to wherever the signal input on the woofer is, its really ghetto and kinda works, for a while i had my home stereo speakers just hooked up to the wires on my 6x9's probably was a bad idea and not good for my hu or speakers but it never gave me any problems....

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 1020
best thing to do, WAIT to do anything, look on the forum, and see what the best thing to do is. i thought about putting my 2 boombox subs in my car, but thankfully got talked out of it. they wont sound good, so wait, and save, and just talk about what would be best

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5374
No need for a power inverter. Just bypass the amp and use car amp to power the sub.

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 4
honeslty im really lost. i have no vocabulary, id better understand the subwoofer as the big box with the hole in it that has a lot of bass. this is what i got so far...get a power converter, AC to DC, i somewhat understand that thanks to 9th grade science. but now i am told not to get a converter. so where do i get the power from for the sub? and where do i plug it in to get the sound? real sorry if i sound like an idiot, which i am, but i would appreciate any help. p.s. whats a 6x9?

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 756
conor....no offense but with such little knowledge it will be very difficult for us to explain to u what u have to do to put that sub in ur car...

IMO....read around and ull learn some cool stuff that might help u......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1025
6x9 is a type of speaker, dude, seriouesly wait, you can really messup the electronics in the home sub and the car if you do this, WAIT TO DO ANYTHING SERIEOUSLY!!! read around on the froum dude... please for your sake and the subs...

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 5
im not too worried about the sub, its an old crappy one. but i won't do anything stupid too fast, im just wonderin where to plug in the wires for the sound.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5376
Conor, go to www.bcae1.com and read. It will explain everything you need to know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1028
of a second there i thought you called me stupid LOL....

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 6
haha nah, i meant what i would do is stupid. well i guess i wont be puttin in that sub in the car anytime soon. anybody got anything thats real easy to do that could boost my sound? ill try to do my research for this one so i dont have to bug you anymore. or even what to buy and how to tell whats good and whats crap. anything helps

Gold Member

Post Number: 1033
how much cash are you willing to spend?

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 8
well id like to keep it from like 100-500 or less, but if its really worth it, i am willing to spend more than that

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
ok, thats a pretty good budget... do you just want subs, or are you looking to replace your whole sterio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
you could do a good budget system for that...depending on what you all want to replace and assuming you can install yourself...and buy online

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 9
im just lookin for anything to make my car sound good. i love bass but im somewhat picky on how good the stereo sounds too. i had to get a bose home system because it just sounded right. whether it be subs, or whatever else it be. just something to make it sound louder and just good. it dosent all have to be at once, maybe an ongoing project.

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
you said you had a camry...what year i have a 96 and my stock 6.5s and 6x9's (speakers in doors and back decks) are decent, for most listening volumes they keep up well enough, i will replace them eventually but for 90% the time they get the job done, when i really crank the bass they can't keep up with/get drowned out by the subs...but if your on a budget the speakers could definitly wait, (assuming your car has decent ones in there) and you could just add a sub(s) for now and maybe a HU if you need one. Tell us what your looking for and we'll go from there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1043
just so you know.... pretty much every sterio system is an ongoing project

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 10
its a 97 camry, and yeah, the stock isn't that bad, but i could use some more bass(thats a given). im just lookin for a subt that i could buy and maybe even have best buy install it or something, and what to look for in a sub like watts, or however they measure subs.

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Post Number: 109
you guys made putting in a home audio sub sound difficult. before i got my system together i put a home sub in my car. all you need is about a 200 watt DC/AC converter that can be found at meijers or target for about $40. you plug the sub into the converter and it already has a built in amp in the sub box so you don't need to run power wires from the battery. then if you have the factory head unit you will need to get a line out converter which can be bought at best buy or circuit city, just ask one of the employees. the line out converter is to change the signal wire from your head unit into rca hook ups. you then need to get some audio rca wire and hook it from the line out converter to the rca hook ups on the sub. now you have cheap bass and a dc/ac converter for a small tv or something in the car for long trips in the car.

Bronze Member

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 11
oh, well theres hope. so if i were to go about actually doing this i would go to target and buy a 200 watt dc/ac converter. then go to best buy and ask about a line out converter. and this line out converter hooks up to the sub and this converts the signal from the head unit (embarrassed to say but im not 100 percent sue of what the head unit is) and i would need rca wire to connect the sub to the head unit. and where in the head unit do i plug it in? and if i understand this correctly, i won't need an amp?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1944
is it a powered sub even?

Bronze Member

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 12
how would i find this out? and right on, die hard steeler fan here

Gold Member

Post Number: 1945
uhh is it just the subwoofer or what? is it in a box that might have lights and wire coming from it?

Username: Fiber

Post Number: 2
dont do it, it will sound horrible, my cousin tried it and i did'nt want to ride around with him because it was so embarrasing

Gold Member

Post Number: 1946
it might have been a sh!tty sub josh

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Post Number: 111
you connect the line out converter to the corosponding wires on the back of the head unit(aka the deck, the thing up front with knobs that you put CDs or cassette tapes in, recieves radio stations, does that help?) the employees at best buy or circuit city could tell you which ones. the line out converter is basically an adapter from regular wire to rca. i assumed your sub was powered(built in amp) if it has a cord you plug into the wall it prolly is powered.

Bronze Member

The burgh, Pa

Post Number: 13
yeah its got a plug that goes into the wall. the thing that buggin me is where do the wires go into the head unit, i gotta take of the cover or something? and how to do that on a camry? and im gonna need to buy 2 converters, one for the power and one for the wires, dc/ac and line out converter. does the power cord on the sub go right into the converter? but the main thing i want to know is where on the head unit do i put the line out?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us