3 db's are a big upgrade

Bronze Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 53
so when you add a sub you add 3 db and when you double the power are another 3 dbs and the question is

are 3db's a big upgrade?
will 3db worth spending more money?

thank alot

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 260
i dunno... but if you install 33 subs you can get an extra 99 Db

Bronze Member
Username: Sw9152

Post Number: 89
if you add 3dB you double the perceived loudness. 3dB is a pretty big upgrade. it is all up to you if it is worth it.

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 54
i know dude thats why im asking are 3 db so important , or can i cani have only one sub to get alot of bass thats my question

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6130
Imo - hell yeah !

i have 2 Rs , just 2 check this theory recently i had both playing full volume & disconnected 1 sub - sounded VERY disappointing . Overall vol & bassline dropped considerably . IT IS Worth imo buying 2 subs thats why i like 2 sub setups more though others here will post differently .....

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 55
so if i add another 3db it will feel that i have the double output but in real time i just add 3db???

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6131
if u get like 1 1500wrms sub over 2 500wrms well that 1 should be louder if both r same brand.....

Anonymous

imo? what does that mean?

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 56
yeah but i comparing with the same input power
for example i have an amp that is rated at 200 watts rms at 4 ohm if i add another sub it will be 400watts rms and in real time will be 200 watts to each subs thats the way im comparing the subs

so most of you suggest to get 2 subs over two right but i think spending more money for only 3 db it's the same if i put dynamat and that wil gave me up to 6 db's

Anonymous

IMO = in my opinion

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 57
or maybe if i make a better box i heard that a weell built box will add up to 6 db and thats tricky so with this facts for me adding another sub is not to exciting wath you think

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 58
c'mon what you think cuz i have to decide wich one to get: dynamat, better box ,double the power, or another sub

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6132
post ur amp model no then i could give u an idea ....

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 61
precision power 1000.1

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 62
so wat u think is the best decicion get the dynamat double the power better box or another sub

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6134
ALL OF THE ABOVE -lol

it depends on what u like & $ too - SPL , SQ , SQL

if u own the dcx1000 & want 2 subs then i'd say 2 400wrms 12" subs like maybe some kicker compvr

if u want SQL then 1 12" IDmax is all u need ...

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1924
" dunno... but if you install 33 subs you can get an extra 99 D:

umm not really, that wont get u no dB's...
but on a serious note, it will prolly be more because its doubling power per woofer and pirted boxes help and all that

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 65
well im going to tell you the trut why im asking that

right now i have 2 aw1206t audiobahns with two amps each amp for each sub and running at 400 watts rms to each sub i want good sql so im looking at the assasins but they are like cheap but great sound so if i buy good will be good but if i add another one sub i will add 3 db so 3 db for the price of the sub i rather install dynamat and have a better box

im going to be honest with you i have not i dea if 3 db are alot or if 3 db are a big upgrade so thats why im asking thanks

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 66
well im going to tell you the trut why im asking that

right now i have 2 aw1206t audiobahns with two amps each amp for each sub and running at 400 watts rms to each sub i want good sql so im looking at the assasins but they are like cheap but great sound so if i buy good will be good but if i add another one sub i will add 3 db so 3 db for the price of the sub i rather install dynamat and have a better box

im going to be honest with you i have not i dea if 3 db are alot or if 3 db are a big upgrade so thats why im asking thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2263
to go from 1 sub to 33 subs by rule youd gain 15db. and rovin, when you unplegged one sub did you give all the power to that sub or still only give it half of your systems total power. because if so that would have been a 6db drop not a 3 db drop.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1484
3db is a bigg diffrence on the mic...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11330
"if you add 3dB you double the perceived loudness. 3dB is a pretty big upgrade. it is all up to you if it is worth it."

no. +3dB is an audible difference, but it's twice the power. +6 to +10dB would be double the audible difference, and six to ten times the power increase.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6147
TREVOR

when i tested it out i had my vol around 80% & just simply disconnected 1 sub without moving the vol knob .....

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 796
Rovin - Unless your amp puts out the same amount of wattage at various impedances (assuming it's a mono amp), then you experienced a 6 dB drop, as you not only removed a sub, you cut your power in half, too. You'd need to feed all the power into one sub, to experience just a 3 dB loss.

also, about the 33 subs - Starting with one sub...

adding one sub = 3 dB.
Then you need to add two more subs to get 3 dB.
Then you need to add four more subs to get 3 dB.
Then you need to add eight more subs to get 8 dB.
etc

It's not "adding a sub without increasing the power will increase your volume by roughly 3 dB".

It's doubling the amount of subs will yield 3 dB. So if you already have 4 subs, think of it as One "unit". To get a 3 dB gain, you need to add another "unit". (in this case, being another 4 subs.)

Also - placement plays a big part in this. the subs will be pretty spread out obviously, having so many - and depending on the accoustics of your vehicle, a sub at a different spot is actually going to yield anywhere from a small, to a DRASTIC difference in the actual output when it comes to volume.

With so many subs, cancellation can also play a gigantic factor in not only SPL, but your sound quality, as well.

Bronze Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 68
alright thanks alot seth now i know more about the 3db topic thanks

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6159
Seth : i already knew all that technical stuff , just lazy 2 type it like u did ..lol . Was just trying 2 explain it simply that 2 subs WILL make a BIG difference .....Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us