New System Plans, Input would be great!!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1198
Hey, i'm trying to plan out my new system that i hope to have and leave alone for quite a while. I just wanted to get some input and possible suggestions. Car is a 92 Honda Accord 4 door btw.

HU - Alpine CDA-7998
Got one, but it was messed up, screen isn't working, so i'm trying to get that issue resolved. Heard a lot of good things about this unit.

Front Stage - Focal Polyglass 165V3E
3-way set up, the K2's won't fit and the Utopias are too expencive. I can get these for $500(which is about all i want to spend) and have heard many good things. Haven't heard the 3 ways, but liked the 2 ways. Only bad thing i've heard it about the tweeter, that it can be harsh. But it seems any hard dome tweeter "can be harsh."
Looked at Seas (don't make a 3 way setup and don't want to try active, if you can even do that with a 3-way setup+subs), Dynaudio (won't fit, 7 inch driver is too large), DLS (little more then i want to spend and would require modification to my kick panels) and Morel (no idea where to find these, but would have to modify kicks, and i've heard soft mids sound better). I have the XR 3 ways right now, but they don't seem to take the 300/2's power very well. I've also used the CDT HD's, but just didn't care for them. I'd love to go back to Bostons, but they don't make a 3 way setup.

Front amp - JL 300/2
I already have one, should work well with the Focal speakers, although they are 80nom and 160max. I really like JL's amps. Would be willing to change though. Would want amps to match.

Subs - 3 8W7's, Sealed. These just sound great. I think this will make a great SQ setup for the subs. I mostly listen to rock, classic rock from the 70's and some stuff from the 80's. No rap, hip hop, r&b...ect...and nothing too hard, so i don't think i'll need anything too low or boomy.
Don't think i could get away from JL subs, lol.

Sub amp - Heres my problem, 3 8W7's in parallel come out to be 1 ohm. A JL 1000/1 won't work i don't think. Used a 500/1 on a 1.33 ohm load without problem, will 1 ohm be a problem?? Could get another 500/1 since i already have 2, but thats just too many amps. Same for 3 250/1's. I don't want to go with 4 8's, because that will end up weighing more then my 13W7 did, and thoes 8w7's are rather expencive. I don't like Kicker and Orion i just don't know about since they are a Directed product. Zapco amps won't work with 1 ohm and Audison's are just crazy expencive. I was looking at the Xtant 1001 which seems nice, just a little complicated. Would want amps to match though.

No rear speakers or rear fills, front stage is enough. Not looking to be the loudest or to get the best stuff possible. I just want a clean sounding system that will also be a daily driver.

Electrical system is already upgraded. i got a 200 amp (110 at idle) Irragi Alt, Yellow Top, "Big 3" is 1/0 awg, and got 1/0 running to the back already to a lone 300/2 on thoes XR's.

Thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2240
the XR653s dont take 150wrms? i have VRs rated for like 60 watts and my 300/4 is giving them like 89 watts and they are fine. i would expect the XRs to take it great as JLs reccomends the 300/2 for them... i might be getting the ZRs though. well i want to....

heres $508 DLS ultimate 3 ways. authorized dealer too.
http://www.mobilesq.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_50_52_55&products_id=128
i THINK jonathan said they will take 150wrms. actually i think he said it will be great for them.... but ask him lol.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 636
An MMats 1500.1 sub amp might work well for what you are looking for. ive never heard this one but my friend has 2 1000.1s and they seem to be very nice. the 1500.1 puts out 1100rms @ 1ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 640
ive heard the ultimate 3 ways and they are very nice. they have a more agressive tweeter that i like alot, it should sound great with rock music.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1200
the XR's distort, the 4 inch mid mainly, on songs that have "Humming" in them or like that bass guitar (i think, not that kind of musically knowledgeable, lol) in Foghat's "Slow Ride". it just seems to go to crap. for most songs, they don't doind too bad, just thoes instances where they crap out for me. but at lower volumes, they sound fine while playing thoes same songs.

thoes DLS UP36's are 150RMS, 180Peak according to DLS's website. the 3 inch mids would require me to modify my kick panels, but thoes are close in price to the Focals.

No experience and really haven't heard much either way on MMats.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1201
on MMat's website, it says the Input Sinsitivity only has a range of 150mV to 2.5V RMS. that Alpine unit should put out the 4 its rated at.

Also, my electrical system sits at 14.8 at idle and 15.5 to 15.8 at higher rpms. so that is kinda high, just thought i'd mention that.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2241
hmmm i wonder if you got a lemon on ur XRs. because XR 3 ways are suposed to be one of the best out there for the price actually. only 300 on ebay.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1203
hell idk, but 300 for a set of 3 ways is a great price. it could just be my install. the kick panels i have were originally made for the CDT HD's. the 4 inch mid on the JL's is a little smaller then the CDT's, so i could only put 2 screws in. not completely sealed down tight. think that could be the problem with the XR's i have?? either way, i still want a change. would like to make sure they are ok before i try and sell or anything though. don't want to screw anyone over.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2253
it very well could be. for SQ, 2 of the most important things are a completely sealed baffle and a sturdy baffle. buy some gasket tape from www.partsexpress.com and see if it helps. but i think its more of a midbass thing, idk, the whole imaging and SQ and stuff in speakers is alot more detailed than SQ with subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Shepyjay

Ont Canada

Post Number: 65
brandon try a JBL BPX1100.1 amp 1141rms@4 and 1022rms@ 1 ohm stable input max is 7volts and around 1099.95 for a price tag check it out @ www.jbl.com

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1206
i'll prob try and seal it off, maby put some polyfil in the panels too unless i get the new stuff beofre i get around to it, lol.

but right now i'm dealing with this guy on ebay i bought the HU from, which the screen didn't work when i got it. thats 3 times i've had problems with HU's from ebay, lol. no problems with anything else, just HU's. i'm not buying another HU off of ebay!!

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 699
just get two 10w7s

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 43
The 8w7 is an awesome SQ sub. I have a 10w6v2 and a IDMAX 12, and the 8w7 outperforms both in pure SQ. It just didn't bump enough for me, but 3 should sound incredible!

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 323
hey brandon you can get that hu fixed for 90$ at alpine no matter whut wrong with it...materfact i have the same radio with the internal amp instead the hole face on it was floping around and the ribbon cable was gone plus alot of other stuff so it can be fixed if you dont want how much for it...cuz i want to get my jl amp fixed so can run that HU(like the animation better than mine) but realy dont stress your self on the sale cuz really i dont have the money for anything LOL jus wanted to know

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1207
www.avls.net is the closest authorized service center. i sent them an email, they said it would be $75 plus parts and shipping. from www.pacparts.com, the display is listed at $166, lol. so i'm looking at $300 or so total, which is about what they sell for on ebay. do you think it would be better to have it repaired or just get another one on ebay??

the 8W7 sounds amazing, doesn't go as low as the larger woofers, but i figured 3 would. i got a friend who has 2 and is adding 2 more, he says that many will give you the low end. he knows his stuff. but i don't need it to go that low anyway. i'm looking for SQ, not SPL

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Brandon you must not read whut i said alpine can fix it for 90$ flat fee no matter what when i get home i will send you pics of the Hu at first before it got fixed

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1208
where did you get it fixed at for that price??

i htink i'm just going to dispute the seller and get my money back for this one and get another, there are 5 others on ebay, all have good feedback and 2 are only a state away, so it wouldn't take long to arrive.

either way, i'm going with the 7998 unit, looks great, sounds great (but can't see to change any settings, lol)

Killerzracing71 - my email is theeflkeeper at charter.net

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
Call alpine up and tell them that you want a repair....They will just tell you to send it in with 95$ dollars and your name whats wrong with it and someother stuff..I live in VA and they are in CA but i got my radio in back 2 or 3 days after i sent it..but just call an make sure they still will do it(sure they will just make sure)

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1215
cool, i'll look into that, just gotta find out whats going on with everything with the sale and stuff first. i'd rather get my money back, send this back to the guy and buy another one.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1294
for an amp you might wanna look into the RE12.1, its 1200watts@1ohm and its underrated so it would probally be around 450watts per sub, and it doesn't cost too much, $390 shipped.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1216
thats not bad at all Dustin. should push thoes 8's nicely.

the AA Assassin 8's are kinda catching my attention, i could do 4 of thoes for the price of 1 w7 on ebay. $45 a piece vs $300 a piece, lol. anyone heard these?? or do they not even compare.

i just don't know about these smaller companies.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1222
To the top!

anyone got any input on the AA Assassins??

Bronze Member
Username: ___

Pittsburgh, PA U.S.A.

Post Number: 50
I am selling a Kicker kx1200 for 275 shipped it works great and puts ot over 1200 watts at 1 ohm.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1223
Jim, not to the point where i need the subs and amp yet. that is a great amp though, i just have this think against kicker, idk, lol.

i'm still waiting on this deal with the HU to get rseolved. haven't heard anything back from the seller yet. then i'm gonna get the comps.

thanks though.

i'm really thinking about going with 4 AA Assassin 8's. prob with the RE12.1. has no one heard these??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us