Do line drivers distort sub output signal

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 341
would something like this http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1270
distort the signal from my hu. its an alpine cda9831 with 4v preout. i would be using this to drive my sub channel only. would the signal be less distorted with something like the audiocontrol three.1 which is a line driver and eq

Bronze Member
Username: Shepyjay

Ont Canada

Post Number: 66
it will boost the signal but if u buy this set it up correctly

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
would it be a problem if i hooked it up near my amp instead of close to my headunit?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1442
sweet AudioControl, I want a 3-1 or even 4-1..
but yea, it will do just perfect near to the amplifier. the signal will be significantly less distorted, the audiocontrol also has CLIP leds on it also! It boost the voltage to 13volts, so u want to set it to the amplifier, so if the amp can only take 8v in set the line driver to 8volts..

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
its an xtant so it can hadle up to 17v balanced input.

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 233
ok so this brings up a question... if i use a line driver to Bost my bass,would it be ok... but if i use a bass boost on the amp it would be bad.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
bass boost distorts the signal to the sub a little, a line driver boost the whole output of your hu cleanly

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1450
^^X2

bass boost adjusts the bass frequency only!

line driver, boost all frequencies!
ex: for a 1V HU to 10V for the amplifier input!

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 240
well the reason i asked is because everyone says it causes clipping and overdrive and all that other good stuff when you use the amps bass boost..

i know it wouldnt cause clipping with this... but what about overdrive?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1454
i used my bass boost on MAX b4, for like 1 week, it was just fine with me! just couldnt take all the bass, couldnt drive with steering wheel bouncing in my hands!

the bass boost will clip signal tremendosly if the amplifer doesnt have enough amperage to perform this feature. If u have a HO, 0ga wiring, I think its A-OK to use Bass Boost! just my 2cents...

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1455
not BUMPIN

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2260
well, if yoru amp is rated for 1000wrms at 1 ohm and your running it at 1 ohm, gains set properly... then turn the bass boost up to 3db your amp will try to put out 2000w rms. and the amp CANNOT put out 2000w rms at 1 ohm no matter what without clipping.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 327
i want a second opinion on that trevor(but sound logical) but ion know

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 323
i used my bass boost on MAX b4, for like 1 week, it was just fine with me! just couldnt take all the bass, couldnt drive with steering wheel bouncing in my hands!

the bass boost will clip signal tremendosly if the amplifer doesnt have enough amperage to perform this feature. If u have a HO, 0ga wiring, I think its A-OK to use Bass Boost! just my 2cents...

I agree with B, I use my bass boost all the time but I make sure the input signal is clean (from HU_i used my bass boost on MAX b4, for like 1 week, it was just fine with me! just couldnt take all the bass, couldnt drive with steering wheel bouncing in my hands!

the bass boost will clip signal tremendosly if the amplifer doesnt have enough amperage to perform this feature. If u have a HO, 0ga wiring, I think its A-OK to use Bass Boost! just my 2cents..

I agree with B, I use my bass boost all the time. It does increase current draw and the biggest problem is knowing when your sub is losing control and backing off. You can actually notice when adding more bass no longer gives an increase or when distortion is evident, just need to learn your subs. A line driver is only as good as your music and the head unit you are using. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 325
Weird, how did that happen? This site amazes me :-O

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1545
well I have the 3.1 on my JL 450/4 and set almost correctly(at least by ear), my amp gain is all the way down and it is extrememly loud and clear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us