Does a low tuned box give you louder bass on the outside?

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 233
Does a low tuned box give you farther traveling louder bass on the outside of the car?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 698
wouldn't you rather hear the bass yourself rather than forcing other people to hear it? the real challeng is to have really loud music inside the car and hear nothing outside the car. there is a challenge for you. instead of waking up your neighbors.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
I didnt say i wanted loud bass outside the car or not i just asked a question

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 700
i'm not for sure, but i would think so up to a point. you could get so low that it couldn't really be heard outside of the car. i'm sure there is a happy medium, but there would be many variables that would determine this. maybe the resonate frequency of your car would be the loudest outside of the car....

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1919
it still depends on the woofer...they have distinct sounds and sum will be pretty loud outside and not as loud insuide(ive seen setups like that)...i personnaly am going low tuned cause i love low bass

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11299
lower frequencies do travel farther through air, however there are other factors as well like how well the car is sound deadened, which way the subs are facing, the type of enclosure you're using, etc. It's not an easily answered question.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1431
yes, low tuned is way louder in the streets, high tuned is loud on the mic when getting it measured. like the Glasswolf said, lower freq travels way father.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1433
Bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
for example if you play a song with a 37hz tuned box and played the same song in a 28hz tuned box will it be louder outside?

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 275
Yah cause the wavelenth on the 28 hz is much larger than the 37, i'm feeling lazy and i'm not gonna do the calculations...but basically the 28 will be heard more outside/farther away. Doesn't it get to a point like in the low 20's were you won't here it in the car at all becuase the wavelenth is like 20 ft and you have to be more than half the distance of the wavelenth from the speaker??? I know i read that somewhere....

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
wuold it be louder inside the car also?

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
it didnt bump

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 702
yes, but bump

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11326
if the wavelength is too long to mature inside the car, reflected or straight, it's not going to be as loud in the car, no.

This is one reason we always suggest thoroughly sound deadening a car to improve both SPL and efficiency as well as SQ.
It keps more power inside the car where you can hear it yourself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us