How much does a full paint job cost?

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 458
Around how much does a basic paintjob with clearcoat cost?

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 177
it depends on the quality of the paint and the process of painting!!

Bronze Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 61
yea a really good quality job can cost upwards of 2000$

i am going to do it myself when it warms up.... it's not really too hard... a spray can job can produc profesional results with a little practice... do some research

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
Oh i heard on the radio that maccos or whatever the fu.ck there called was doing a paintjob for 200$ with an instant rebate savings ticket. Probaly bs thoe when you get there they probaly throw little extras at you to pump money outa your pocket. Probaly spraypaint or some sh.it.lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
that would be the Macco Embassador job on sale... its a basic bare paint job.. stip, prime, paint... no clear coat.. they do crappy masking jobs.. and you end up with allot of orange peeling.. if you are willing to go the extra.. mask it youself, stip it yourself, than send it in to a paint shop you can save money... than when it comes out sand out the orange peeling than do your own clear coat...

but if you do this remember that the clear coat is harder cause it tends to run... unlike paint... it has to build up a lil before it starts to run.... the cool thing about doing your own clear coat is that you can go out and buy that stuff they put on big rigs... itle make your car be able to take a beating

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
where do you get your clearcoat and decant proffesional paints?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 423
what kind of car is it?
what color?
what color do you want it??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
i get my paint from walmart :-) the clear coat however... i havent decided... the clear coat i wanna use is expensive so i am shopping around...
50$+ a quart

i did a practice job on my car with the walmart paint and didnt clear coat it and it came out pretty good... i forgot to put primer on the bumper (it wasnt painted) and it flaked... but the body is looking good...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
the most imprtant part of your paint job is the primer you use, how you sand it, and the clear coat you use...

primer makes the paint stick, how you sand determins how smooth you get it.. sanding is a pain in the butter nuts....

the clear coaat gives it shine and protects the paint from UV, sand, wind, water ect...

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
i have a 92 camaro and the sun baked the paint off of it in alot of spots, it's dark red but i was going to get a bright red

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 424
Painting is easy as long as you let it flashfor like 3-4 minutes and dont let it run.
Clear coat is not cheap but as far as clear coats go you get what you pay for.
And expect to wet sand a lot if it is your first time, You will have to sand out the runs,spots,bumps,highspots,low spots,and for some reason little bugs almost seem to be attracted to fresh clear coat.
Besides a bit of sanding,possible rust removal,body filler,sand again,primer I use 2-3 coats,base coat,you can put as many coats on as you want but more coats = longer dry time,clearcoat For darker cars I use high gloss,when you are done clear coating you will need to wet sand,then buff,and probably wetsand the spots you missed,then buff those spots again and you are done it is that easy...

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 426
Painting is easy as long as you let it flashfor like 3-4 minutes and dont let it run.
Clear coat is not cheap but as far as clear coats go you get what you pay for.
And expect to wet sand a lot if it is your first time, You will have to sand out the runs,spots,bumps,highspots,low spots,and for some reason little bugs almost seem to be attracted to fresh clear coat.

Besides a bit of sanding,possible rust removal,body filler,sand again,primer I use 2-3 coats,base coat,you can put as many coats on as you want but more coats = longer dry time,clearcoat For darker cars I use high gloss,when you are done clear coating you will need to wet sand,then buff,and probably wetsand the spots you missed,then buff those spots again and you are done it is easy...

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 427
sorry didnt think it posted the first time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
yea the hard part is really just the stupid sanding... if you do a canner job... get a gun attachment... they are like 3$ and should be around the paint cans

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
sorry continuing post... a gun add on will give you better aim... make your spray button finger survive... and give you easier and more accurate sweeps....

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
it's kind hard to not let it run you cant stop gravity and knowing me i would spray it on to thick in some spots, and what does let it flash for 3-4 min mean. Sounds like you somewhat know your sh.it when it comes to painting.

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 192
hey mitchell where can i get a decent priced good spray(paint)gun from and how many gallons do i need from a air Compressor to do a job?

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 428
__Pimp__
If you are going to get it panted a different color make shure who ever paints your car gets under your hood,trunk and your doors on the inside where th hinges are. I Know a guy with a metallic blue paint job on his Grand am gt and it is red under the hood and the doors werent painted and to top it all off the colors were not weighed out so copying that color will be hard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
i think i can help on that one they sell decant guns at sears made by craftsmen i'm not sure how good they work but for the price they had on them tehy should work damn good

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 429
Flash is just a painters way of saying let dry.
you dont want it to dry all the way but it has to be a little past tacky (the thing is you cant touch it)
But honestly I would say that the hardest pat is the sanding and buffing but it is the most critical once your clearcoat has been applyed that is where you will get that Shine!

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 431
Just about any Metal gun that you can hook up to a compressor/air tank.
But a craftsman will last a life time as long as you clean it like you are supposed to.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
When painting under the hood,under the trunk,door hinges,ect do you need to clearcoat it?

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 432
"Flash is just a painters way of saying let dry."

Sorry I meant to say:

Flash is just a painters way of saying let dry between coats.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 433
"When painting under the hood,under the trunk,door hinges,ect do you need to clearcoat it?"

If you want you canbut no, but FYI: to many coats of anything on a hinge and it might gum up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
And what is the difference between these guns
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=0 0915531000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=0 0915535000

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 434
I would get the first one if you want to keep it for a while, the second one I think looks cheap but I have never used one of those before.The one I use looks like the first one you posted but mines red.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
cool thanks mitchell

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1901
pinstriping and flames....how wopuld u paint those? lol

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11229
cheap "earl shibe" job is about $800.
I've seen single color tangerine HoK paint jobs run $18,000 on a '70 Challenger.

It totally depends on what you're willing to spend and how good of a job you want to have.

A good paint job starts with good body work.
If any of the body is wavey or imperfect, it'll show right through in the paint.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5661
Maaco is ok if you want to keep your car from rusting, but that's about it. Just keep in mind you're probably going to be scraping paint off of your headlights, taillights, all your window/door trim, antenna, and other places for a while.

The best thing is knowing people. A guy I've been friends with since high school sanded my car down, primed it, layed down some PPG basecoat/clearcoat, and wet sanded the car for the lump sum of $500, most of the cost was in the paint. I helped him wire his house up, though. Wasn't the absolute cream of the crop paint job that you'd see at a car show, but for $500 I wasn't fussing.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5261
you can't complain about that:-) I had a bud do the same thing for me on my old truck I paid for paint he had the compressor and gun. WHen I asked him how much he wanted he said a 30 pack:-) Like you said Jon it wasnt the best of the best but it came out much nicer then it was:-)

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 437
"It totally depends on what you're willing to spend and how good of a job you want to have"

Glasswolfe is dead on with that statement.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2637
well how much does it cost to powder coat something. like set of rims. price range.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 439
That all depends where you go I wold not pay more than 200 bucks or so though

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 178
Joseph

the first gun is a gravity feed HVLP(high volume Low pressure) that means is uses more cfm at lower pressure, thats how all the new models are,
and they eleminate bout 70% of the wasted paint caused by the other guns like the 2nd one.

the second gun is a suction feed gun(don't get)
it doesn't require as much cfm as the other gun but it will waste lots and lots of material.
If u wanna get a good gun it will run U about $600-$900. The most important part is when u buy a gun U buy it 2 match the compressor that U got
cuz if U have a 5-20 gallon comperssor U wont be able 2 paint the whole car at once U'll have to do it in parts.
oh ya DON'T i repeat DON'T do a cannester job it looks horrible and it will run very easy cuz the paint is very thin and U'll need like a good 70 cans. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Pinstripes and flames are easy... well if you can use masking tape... you would paint the color for the design you want as a base coat... tape off your design paint your body with your final color, take your tape off and touch up the edges with a paint brush....

or if you want to save some money... paint your final color for tha base coattape off your area for the design except your doing a "reverse design" so you just spray it in like a frame... this is alot harder to do and dosent looks as good.... but should only be done for pin stripes

Silver Member

Post Number: 478
You know that rhino lining bed spray they put on the beds of trucks. If you dont want your car to get scratched just get your whole car sprayed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
acctually i'm in the military and we use a special rihno lineing clear coat on our police trucks.... its got a sort of rough look to it though

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
what division u in, i'm thinkin about joining the marines
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us