Excursion question

Bronze Member
Username: Themann

Mt. Holly, NC USA

Post Number: 30
I have two CVR12s in the box from kicker, the DCVR122 - As I was browsing through kickers videos on realmofexcursion, the ones on there had more excursion and hit harder than mine - is it just the difference in amps or should I build a better box? this one has the big round port hole in the side. Do I need sealed or slot (i think that's it) ported box? (btw, I blew my amp b/c I had the wrong ohm load. so which amp should I go with now on a kinda tight budget - I already got some opinions - I already heard the audiobahn A8002t might be ok for them - I had a Soundstorm 1600w 2-channel). Thanks

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5253
kicker 600.1

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5658
It's most likely that they're running a frequency far below the tuning of the enclosure, thus the very high excursion.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5257
I agree with Jonathan but let me add that your soundstorm amp that claimed 1600 watts was prob more like 200 watts so on a good amp the subs will get much louder also hence more excursion. Subs in a ported enclosure will never reach peak xmax(xsus) unless below tuning of the enclosure. You do not want to do this because it is how your subs lose control and over excursion occurs and your subs get damaged. If you run a amp like a kicker 600.1 you will notice a large difference over that soundstorm garbage!

Bronze Member
Username: Themann

Mt. Holly, NC USA

Post Number: 31
Do you tune the frequency when building the box? or is it something else?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5259
yes it is your port length and width that tunes a enclosure. I believe those are tuned to something like 35hz

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11237
that or the video used a sealed box and he has a ported box
ported enclosures limit excursion

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5260
I was actually thinking that also:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »