How do DBs work

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Maple Grove, MN United States

Post Number: 164
so my friend hit 156db with 3 12inch type r's and he said that they placed the mic on his dash and i thought that 156 was a little high but i could be wrong.

does that mean he hit 150 with 1 type r and then he matched that with his second typr r to gain 3 dbs?
i prob sound dumb asking but w/e i bet theres a ton of people that are wondering the same thing

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2156
well, yes, that does sound high. was it a new TL? but anyway, say for example he did hit 150 with 1 (which he didnt) then adding a second woofer would get a 153 by theory, then doubling the power to compensate for the second sub would be 156. and then adding the powere for the 3rd sub and adding the 3rd sub would be a 159. doubling power is 3db appx and doubling subs is 3db appx. doubling, not adding what you started. ex: 100->200 3db 200->300 1.5 db 300->400 1db etc.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 164
Theoretically, if your friend hit a 144 with one dual 4 ohm Type R wired to 2 ohms, he may be hitting 150 with two by wiring both subs to 1 ohm (if the amp can handle and 1 ohm is equal to twice the wattage as 2 ohms)

Basically for every sub that you add with the same power as the other sub(s), there is an added 6 decibles.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us