RE sx15 in an isobaric configuration?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 159
I have two RE 15s and at this time I can only use one because of the space. I have a ported box made by TCAB, loud as hell but I would like to utilize my second sub/amp somehow, could I use a few spacer rings and mount the second sub in an isobaric configuration (subs facing each other in a push/pull config) and what benefits could be had? Doing this will allow me to strap my two kicker sx1250.1's together to get 2500+ watts. I know I won't gain in SPL but should be able to use a smaller box (approx 1/2 size) and an increase in accuracy? thaks for any and all responces..Polo.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5024
Isobaric loading is usually used when space is at a minimum or a maximum number of woofers wish to be used in a certain volume of space. By isobarically loading the woofers, a box of only half the size of a one woofer box is needed. For example, if a 12" woofer requires a two cubic foot box, the same 12" woofer isobarically loaded only requires a one cubic foot box. The cost of this design, other than doubling the woofer cost, is a reduction in the subwoofer system efficiency by three decibels (if both woofers are given the same power as a single woofer), which is equivalent to halving the amplifier power. New, small box subwoofer designs have all but negated the need for isobaric loading in car audio and it has fallen out of popularity. Advantages of this design are increased linearity in the speaker movement, lower space requirements, and increased power handling. Disadvantages are increased cost, increased design and assembly complexity, and decreased efficiency.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 163
Thanks James I was just wondering as for I have a second kicker SX1250.1 and RE 15 (eyes bigger than space). Polo.. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us