Rearfill

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1223
i have a jeep and right now i have some pos sony speakers up front and stock in the back, well i bought some new alpine speakers for the front and was wondering if i should put the sonys in the back or not, i will have 2 15inch subs in the back so im pretty sure that would drown out the back speakers but i might not have my subs on all the time, so should i put the sonys back there or just take out all the rearfill completly.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5480
there r ppl here who would make u believe that rearfill is absolutely NOT necessary - but it depends on ur listening tastes personally .

I like a certain amt of rearfill sounds in my setups & if u have it u can either fade in more of less power 2 it depending on the type of music ur listening to or the mood ur in like i often do ...

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5276
I would keep the sony's there and allow them to be powered by the hu, no need to buy nice rearfills if the subs will drowned them out any way

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1225
ya i think thats what im gonna do, i just wish jeep would put some speakers in the rear doors, instead of the hatch.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11047
well tell ya what.. I'll give ya both sides.
I have an article explaining the downsides to rear fill, however I had rear fill in my grand cherokee, and I'll give ya a link or two to that as well.
decide for yourself. generally I recommend rearfill for two things. 5.1 AV systems where you require rear channels, and large vehicles with passengers who often sit in back.

for SQ vehicles where the driver is prime listener, scrap rear speakers.

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/rearfill.html
my old jeep
http://www.carstereo.com/installs/photo_gallery_album.cfm?home=yes&photoid=23529 &galleryid=1769

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1226
nice article, my only question is that the sony speakers are coaxial, and it says in the article not to use coaxial speakers as rearfill, so should i use them anyway or no.

Bronze Member
Username: C10_250

Kailua, Hawaii

Post Number: 19
I have a pair of 3way coaxial 9x9s in the rear of Neon, but 90% of the time I have the FIE on my pioneer deck turn on cutting out the rear highs at 250hz. But when I have rear passengers or when I'm smoking a cigarette with my front windows down on the freeway I turn off the FIE and the tweeters in the rear prove to be essential.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11054
coaxials work as rear speakers for 5.1/DD systemd (DVD) and with people in the back seats who want full range and not just bass from the subs drowning out everything..
again if this is just for the driver, I'd go with straight midranges in the back doors on narrow band notch filters.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1023
I ride with friends so, I think the 6x9s is needed. =D They are my rearfill 4ways, and they can still out do the frontstage at the momment. =D

Glasswolf I must ask, what kind of Alarm System is in the Cherokee??? It looks killer, sought of how I want to wire my new 2way alarm with a "trunk pin" like the hood pin.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 226
it all comes down to how you do it and how much control you have over things like gain or overall volume to the rears. Rearfill is exactly how it sounds, never a rear stage where it competes with front stage. I've heard the Focal Altima that has a comprehensive rearfill in a stereo setup and it was a killer SQ vehicle. Thing is most people on here aren't going to be SQ competitors and they probably won't notice a difference in done correctly. While even I know i have a more discerning ear than most, I have rearfill and my car is truly SQ and not even a 5.1 setup. The biggest thing I notice in having rear fill is that when driving with the windows down doesn't effect the level of my sound as much as when i only have a frontstage. Just get a good fronstage and then a minimal rearfill and you'll be good.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1242
well im pretty sure thats what im gonna do but my only worry is having coaxs back there is that its gonna sound like sh1t, cause your gonna have the lows of the subs and there gonna drown out the midrange, but your still gonna hear the tweeters and upper range, which i think will make it sound like azz.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11064
ok I strongly recommend if ya do use rearfill, stick with 2 ways.. 3 and 4 ways will be way too bright and it'll trash your soundstage in front.
2 ways also tend to give better lower midrange/midbass response.

B; I used a (fairly cheap) Clarion Ungo 2004 on the jeep with some othere sensors/features I added to it (like the screamer and hood bolt)
the charger, I used a top of the line Compustar.

Anonymous

2 way coaxials? is that what your talking about...

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3057
Like the infinity referance 6.5 2 ways. Thats what hes talking about. You can ask glasswolf, because he used that as rearfill in this jeep cherokee.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11074
yes coaxials.. as opposed to the triaxials or 4 ways and 5 ways some companies make.
all the 3 ways or more do is add more tweeters and supertweeters to that center pole cluster, making the treble brighter and harsher.. which draws vocal ranges toward the back of the car.. whereas ideally you want everything to come from in front of you liek you're at a live show.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2358
glasswolf....how would this sound. get a 3 way component system and put the mid bass driver in the rear deck and the mid and tweeters in the front door. will the subwoofers in the trunk cancel out the mid bass drivers in the rear deck?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11080
won't work.
3-way systems need to be together, or aligned and equi-distant from the listener (path length) or they'll sound lousy.

3-ay systems rely on the midbass driver for the midrange as well, and use the midrange driver (usully 3") for upper midrange only..

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2734
GW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i haven't seen(actually read your words haha) in a coon's age!!!!

How have you been? Did you finish your Charger?....charger right? and finally, do you have any pics?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11094
hey where ya been man? good to see ya back. and just when I was getting all put out due to a bunch of drama on another forum. Always good to see a friendly face again after an absence.

yeah its a cahrger, and actually you came back the week I'm starting a teardown of it for a winter rebuild. I'll be posting pictures of the project, so stay tuned. I'll stick a link or two for them as they're posted up here. I picked up a new digital camera for xmas so I can take some pretty sharp images now, up to 9MP.

peace

Username: Bass_4_da_deaf

Loudon, Tennessee America

Post Number: 10
u dont need a rear fill. it causes cancellation.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2394
what kinda cancellation?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3079
http://www.cdtaudio.com/classislimcoaxial.htm

I may go with this set for my rearfill which should compliment my CDT HD62 component set also. Nice coaxial for anyone interested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us