Funky smell from my X's?

Bronze Member
Username: Grat81

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 59
lol I think they're just warming up... got a funky smell from my hatch the other day with my 12" type-X's (familiar smell) ... is that the voice coils heating up or is that me pushing 'em too hard? They both get 1200w a piece. (JBL1200.1) just wondering :-) *g*

how hard can i push these subs? I am afraid to crank them.... although I've wanted to for a while now. gains are set a bit above quarter level.

-G

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 535
i know what u mean by the smell. i asked my local car shop and they said that it was the voice coils burning off access glew and after around 2 months or so of playing them it stopped smelling. as long as ur subs have been broken in u can crank them up louder, they can handle 1200watts.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 791
you have 1 or 2 of those amps???

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1015
CRANK EM LOUDER! Thats just extra glue. I remember that smell for about 2 months when I had my TSXs. It will go eventually; I will have that smell once again with my new dual 2s! =D

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1450
Just take it easy on them. Don't get them really hot for long periods of time. And is that 1,200 per sub? And you're talking about the Alpine Type-X's right? Don't run them in cold weather either...

I'm not sure how good the cooling is on the VC of that sub, but run them for awhile and check the middle of the cone and make sure it's not too warm. You don't wanna burn up the VC. I know my Eclipse Ti's could run litterally all day and barely get warm...

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 60
1200 per sub, yea guys. 2x JBL BP1200.1's at 2 ohms. (should be ok). I thought I was burning something up -- but I do remember that smell from my perfects that I had in there from years ago.

I think I'll give it another month or so before I go nuts with the amp gains and crank the (@#%*& outta them. -- what is the recommended amplifier gain? I know going full gain isn't really a good idea, but what is the limit? (I know this will vary from amp to amp).

I have had the subs in the car for 4 weeks and have not cranked them loud loud loud for more than a minute or two. I'm not really sure how long the break-in period of the subs are but I know they have seen at least 15-20 hours of play so far.

-G

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 137
what does it realy mean when U say the sub is broken in

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1752
means u have loosened up the spider and its not as stiff

Silver Member

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 138
ohhhh thx. I thought it wus bout loosinin the suspension

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 544
four weeks is how long i broke mine in for. u should be ok but to keep it safe u can lay off it for a week or two.

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 62
yea i'm pretty scared of pushing them too hard

again -- how high should i crank that gain? i don't know how much punishment these subs can take. I didn't dare risk pushing my perfects with more than 1/4 gain but I think these guys can handle a bit more...

-G

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 63
and jake -- in your prof it says you are opting for treos or REs --

unsatisfied with your Alpines?

I hadden't even heard of those companies before coming to this forum. (or Brahmas or the others people mention) kinda strange.

I think my next subs will be TI's prolly -- I'm more into sound quality than booming anyway.

Silver Member

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 142
how do U kno when UR sub is broken in

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 64
as stated above, when the spider loosens up, i guess. Mine is still pretty tight -- needs at least another good week or two.

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 570
once you go sq you never go back

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1468
I asked Eclipse how long to break my Ti Pros in, and they said they don't know... They said it's such a massive and well built sub, they're not sure when one's broken in... All they told me was to give them a couple thousand watts a peice and enjoy it... Heh.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 162
I bumped my RE sx15 for the first time, real good and it got to stankin, nasty for sure! Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2364
i had my type xs for a couple of months and i haven't smelled anything from them. its probably cause its in my trunk.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 166
Maybe you need MO power? :-O

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2365
like how much more? i am giving them 1000wrms a piece.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 170
1000 watts on which amp? Polo..

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 551
chad is giving them plenty of power with his two 1000/1s. i would say its because they are in the trunk.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 176
So are mine and My car has da funk going on! Is it a sealed box? Polo..

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2372
yea mine is in a sealed box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
i thought you were gonna change those type xs chad?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2374
waiting til next month cause my friend won't have the money to buy my xs until next month. i don't want to buy new subs until i know i am going to sell the type xs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
you should get sum tis or w7s.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 178
Well how ya gonna get some funk going on if it is all caught up inside the box? :-O

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2377
most likely i will be getting the 12w7s. the 13w7s are just to big to put a couple in my trunk.

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 66
lol mine are in my trunk too, but i've got that celica and i took the rear shelf off so the trunk is exposed and the sound comes directly into the car *owwww* if you want to see the install, the "bragging" section has my car somewhere up in there. I'm afraid of my subs lol. i'm gonna crank that gain once it gets warmer outside.

How high are your gains, Chad? I know we're using different amps, but this will at least give me some kind of an idea.

-G

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2417
my gains are set at about 1/3. i didn't set it by ear so i can't say its perfect but i think its good enough.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2418
also garrett, i didn't even really wait til they were broken in. i just installed them and set the gain and just listen to them at whatever volume i wanted to. i had no problems whatsoever by doing that. right now it sounds much better cause they are fully broken in.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1142
X2
you shouldnt have to wait to fully play your subs; that BS. I did same thing Chad did. Just hookem playem, and let them break in on their own time! Not your time! Its simple; the company wouldnt make a good sub to destroy if you did NOT break em in!

Like Ti told Jake Hill:
" They said it's such a massive and well built sub, they're not sure when one's broken in... All they told me was to give them a couple thousand watts a peice and enjoy it... Heh."

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5590
don't think my 2 Rs r broken in as yet cause i softly pushed on cone yesterday & it still feeling kinda firm - then again i don't often play em loud daily ....

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1144
breaking can take as long as 2 years even... It comes down to how much power your feeding the sub, how much its beein played etc.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2420
i did actually took it easy for the first 30 seconds. that was just to make sure i had the subs installed correctly. i played a song with moderate bass for the first 30 seconds and after seeing it sounded alright, i broke out my favorite bass song to see what the subs can do. lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us