How is this possible?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 122
And with an R, lol. http://www.thecaraudiobox.com/eventpicsandvids/tcab1507one15.wmv

Oh nad by the way I have seen the vids where they run from 30hz all the way up, sure is a nice range for a ported box. What's with those port tubes? Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2074
Thats a pretty darn good # w/ 1 15. The new type-r's can take quite a bit of power on burps. (that 1 15 is on a hifonics colossus) The burped it and found the amp output voltage and amperage...they got 1541wrms out of the amp w/ 2.2ohm of box rise. (at burping freq) Thats alot of power at burping freq. W/ the sub wired to 1ohm nominal...2.2ohm of box rise is good for SPL apps. The less box rise you get, the more power the sub will actually see (when you use an unregulated amp)

150dB+ isnt all that hard to get w/ that much power at your burp freq. My SX15 in my box w/ internal ports does 148.0dB. It actually sees ~750wrms...my amp sees 3.3ohm at burp freq. (1ohm nominal)

"What's with those port tubes?"
when you mount your port externally, you dont have as much air turbulance inside the box. this will help your SPL. alot of the boxes you see in the Street classes will have external aero-port like that box.

thats a h3ll of a nice # for 1 15 type-r though. (i wish my SX15 had DVC 1ohm coils...that way i could wire to .5ohm for comps and it would actually see ~1200wrms after box rise w/ my amp)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 124
So in you opinion if this guy lived near you would you buy one of those boxes? Price tag is $250 ready to go out the door shipped. I was gonna try and get him to build a custom to fit both of my SX 15s but If I can get that type of numbers with one sub, why not right? Polo..

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4956
thats pretty darn good:-) I wonder where the mic was located they never mention it.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2075
some of the guys from TCAB compete in MECA comps, so i would say in the kick w/ the drivers door open.

$250 for a shop built box for 15's is actually a decent price...i have a friend that just paid a local shop $150 for a ported box for 1 10" CVR about 2 months ago.

but true be told...w/ a little know-how and the tools you need, you could build a box that is just as good as one of those boxes for ~$80. it would just take some time and effort.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 125
I can get the box from the video for $215 and he'll drop it off at my door and test fit. This guy is awesome, he wanted to bring the mic to test it also. I can't do any testing in my neighborhood, snobs come out the woodwork for sure, lol. Maybe buy the box and construct my own later? Polo.. :-O

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2076
they actually mis-calculated the output power of that amp in the vid.

the got 69V and 31.6amps. the calculated it like this:

69v x 31.6A x .707 = 1541watts

but...they didnt need to calculate the .707 in to get watts RMS if they used a true RMS multimeter (and most good meters are...so i bet their meter was a true RMS)

they should have calculated it like this:

69v x 31.6A = 2180watts!!!

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 182
i just got my TCAB box yesterday and my SE10 slams in it!! even off only 150watts rms this thing had my ears aching, and im use to loud systems... check out my post in the bragging area. by the way i paid $200 shipped and i think it was worth it! he also quoted my DB's at around 145db well see if i can touch that

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 127
MAybe you could post a picture? Polo..

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2077
they quoted you 145dB.....umm, i kinda hate to bust your bubble...but i dont see 1 SE10 doing 145dB on the TL in a box tuned for daily use.

140db...maybe....145...no.

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 184
even if i hit 140db id be really happy heres the picsUpload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1698
those are HUGE ports lol

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 187
and those are the little ones he uses!!4" he has now moved up to 6" ports which are about the size of my sub!!!

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 128
He said if I try to stuff 2 sx15s in my trunk that it would be less loud do to the overcrowding. We'll see I guess, lol. Nice box, only one 10 and hit 140, WOW...POlo..

Silver Member

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 188
no no no lol i havent hit any numbers yet havnt gotten it metered i just said i hope i get around there

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1703
lol technically u have hit numbers...
but get it metered soon man, BTW do they sell ports seperate?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2086
i know they sell their new 6" ports:

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/viewtopic.php?t=2795&sid=54dd9f7d6b87d09f5b502 9ac8db010ca

they make them out of PVC now.

i'm going to try my hand at making a few 6" flared ports this weekend. i just have to build a jig. i have made a few 2" flared ports in the past...they came out pretty good. may even do 1 10" flared port for my SX15 :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 61
Them aren't that hard to make, you can tell they've heated em up and flared them.. just get some PVC pipe, set a bowling ball on the end and slowly heat it up with a torch, and you got a flared port, lmao.. bump

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 133
Heat gently and use a funnel from the kitchen hard plastic one a metal one would make it cool too fast. Polo.

PS- I am picting my butt ugly box up today! Them outside ports looking uggggly but its the sound that counts, lol... :-O

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2093
external ports are beautiful :-)

by the way...a really easy way to do flared ports is to use a plate for the kitchen. that way when you flare the pvc, you get a nice smooth flared w/ flat flanges to mount it.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 134
If you look at these ports they aren't really just flared bug bugled they have a distinctive cone shape at both ends like a funnel cone. Polo...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us