Hey Isaac!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4923
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5863077363&fromMakeTrack= true its in canada also:-)

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3000
Thats one of the rarest amps on ebay. I always wanted to get one but lost interest since they were so hard to come by. I guess im satisfied with my PPI Art amps :-)

I have the a600 and the a300 which i will run once i get my ID MAX 12 and use the a300 on a new set of componants but not sure which ones yet. Maybe you can give me some ideas james.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4925
you don't like your chamelion's? I have the A/D/S 346 cs's and I love them:-) have you looked into Focal they make great components, also dynaudio. That is what I am getting next:-)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3003
I sold my Chameleons james. I have the CDT HD62 set with the tw-24 tweeter and 480 crossover. More natural and smoother then the ID Chameleon set. I may stay with the CDT set but im not sure yet.

If i use my a600 on the ID MAX 12 then ill have to use my a300 on a set of components and 75 x 2 @ 4 ohm for the CDT HD62 will not be enough so i will need to find a set that can handle 150 x 2 @ 2 ohm like the Chameleon Set i had or find a set that will sound great with 75 x 2 @ 4 ohm

I want somthing that will fit the door of a 98 Toyota Camry and i know CDT sets are good with stock replacement installs. Any help is appreciated. Just want to replace the stock locations and find somthing nice that will fit and find a place for the tweeter to mount close to the midrange.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4927
with 75 watts the A/D/S 346's will sound great:-) I run mine off of my ppi pcx480 and they sound fantastic:-)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3007
Are they installed in the factory door locations james ?

I also have a ppi pcx 2200 that can do 200 x 2 @ 4 ohms / 400 x 2 @ 2 ohms / 800 x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged

One of my all time favorite amps!!!

So what is the A/D/S 346's rms rating ? What is the best place to get them online ? I have never heard them before so im not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5307
James I can't open your link. What was it?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4939
20-125 rms I run 80 from my ppi pcx 480 so really like 100 and they really shine. I didnt buy mine online I went to a retailer but here is a good place http://hereforgear.com/product_info.php?products_id=436 thats $150 less then what I paid for mine:-(

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3009
Wow, they look nice. Are the 6.5" or alittle bigger. Will it fit factory stock locations and where is best to mount the tweeter on these. Sorry i dont have any idea of this brand since i dont have retailers near me with a/d/s. Whats the best way to achieve best performance from these etc....

I know your thinking about upgrading to dynaudio's

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3010
Ive also heard great things about this set http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=SPX-177R

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4949
the a/d/s set blows the type x comp set out of the water. The reason I would love to run the dyno's is because of the 360 set:-) they are amazing but very very pricey. If anything happens to my a/d/s' I will get that set next. The thing is the a/d/s have lifetime warranty on them because I bought them through a dealer so that is a good thing.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3012
Does a/d/s have a online website and what other componants are as good in that price range. Ive never heard these. IM guessing that you have heard the chamoleons and some other sets...

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4954
yes I have heard the chel's they sound nice:-) I have hear all boston acoustic's sets, all focal's, dynaudio's(fantastic),DLS Iridium 6.3's(again very nice),MB quarts,infinity kappa perfects. I liked the a/d/s' the best out of the sets aboved mentioned accept for the dyna's and the DLS' but they were both 3 ways and I didnt want to go that route at the time. I wish I did but what can you do. Morel also makes a very nice speaker aswell as Rainbow. The rainbow's are pricey but there mid level lines are fantastic and more affordable.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3013
wow, so out of all those sets that you have heard. You chose the DLS 346 huh ?

Do you have pictures of your install ?

I know jonathan is an expert on this component speakers since hes heard just about every set. lol Yeah you have my interested in the dls 346 set but im not so sure how it whould sound or much less fit my stock door location. Some 6.5's are bigger then they say like the id chameleon set.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3014
A/D/S 346 is what i meant.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4962
yup I chose the a/d/s'. I dont have any pic's of my current install I could get a few for you but I do have my old install if you want to see them. I didnt use the factory hole in my jeep because they were 5.25's so I used a mdf baffle and mounted the 6.5's. Measure your stock hole's and I will get you the dimensions on the speaker. here they are installed. http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/803384/1 thats my jeep page http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2256230/1 thats my dodge truck page

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3017
So the mids are installed IB in this case right. Did you use dynamat or somthing on the door ? What do you have your crossovers set to ?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4963
I used my x-over on my deck for my mids and had it set to 80hz with a 12db roll off. On songs with a lot of bass I wouls steepen the roll off to 24db's. They are IB with front and rear doors dynamatted.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3018
Thats cool. So your ppi pcx 480 crossover is set at full to turn off the amps filter right. I have a ppi pcx 2200 and i dont remember of the top how the crossover was but the pcx have nice crossovers.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4967
yeah they sure do. I run mine on full range and let the HU take care of the mids and highs and then I turn my sub x over on the amp on and it off on my HU

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5567
My favorite set is the SEAS Lotus Reference component system.

http://www.seaslotus.com/referencerange.asp

US dealer is Mobile SQ

http://www.mobilesq.com

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4968
man those look sweet:-) Thats not a bad price either.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5568
Just the two ways will take my Dyns.

They're just so clean and neutral. The most detail I've ever heard from a midbass driver and the midbass is incredible. It'll put chills up your spine.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 206
A LITTLE OFF THE TOPIC: is 95 amps at idle good for a 200 amp alternator

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 771
a little off topic?? lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5569
"A LITTLE OFF THE TOPIC: is 95 amps at idle good for a 200 amp alternator"

Yeah, that's pretty good. Output will raise substantially as RPM goes up.

In addition to the SEAS comps, I'm really liking the Boston Acoustics Z6 comps as well. Sound incredible in a car. I'm considering them for my truck.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 210
Thank you Jonathan that is all I wanted to know.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4969
"Just the two ways will take my Dyns.

They're just so clean and neutral. The most detail I've ever heard from a midbass driver and the midbass is incredible. It'll put chills up your spine."

ohhhhh man your killing me:-) now your putting idea's into my head.

"In addition to the SEAS comps, I'm really liking the Boston Acoustics Z6 comps as well. Sound incredible in a car. I'm considering them for my truck."

Really? I have always run Boston pro's in the past and have loved loved loved them lol! but I am not a big fan of the new pro's or the z's. WHen I bought my a/d/s' I listened to the pro's and the z's and the a/d/s' all in cars at my local shop and I went with the a/d/s' I thought they sounded much more natural. I got a harsh feeling from the boston pro's(not like they used to be) and a lack of fullness out of the z's. These were in 2 of the installers cars and the owner's car. The one thing I am very very impressed with I don't know if you have heard them is the boston G5 sub:-) they sound fantastic:-) incredib;le detail and a nice punch with nice bottom end:-):-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5570
"Really? I have always run Boston pro's in the past and have loved loved loved them lol! but I am not a big fan of the new pro's or the z's. WHen I bought my a/d/s' I listened to the pro's and the z's and the a/d/s' all in cars at my local shop and I went with the a/d/s' I thought they sounded much more natural. I got a harsh feeling from the boston pro's(not like they used to be) and a lack of fullness out of the z's. These were in 2 of the installers cars and the owner's car. The one thing I am very very impressed with I don't know if you have heard them is the boston G5 sub:-) they sound fantastic:-) incredib;le detail and a nice punch with nice bottom end"

All in the install. Zs sound really, really good in a car (to me, of course), but they need a good bit of power to really make them shine, 200+ RMS is what I'd give them. I wouldn't consider the tonality to be cold, but it isn't the warm and somewhat dark tonality you'd get from a Focal Polykevlar/Utopia mid, JL XR/ZR mid, Dynaudio or Morel, and so forth. That could be the lack of fullness you're describing, especially with your preference for the a/d/s, which are warmer and more laid back, and the fact that the Pros from a couple years back were warmer in midrange than the newer ones and the Zs. Over a period of time, our ears tend to adjust themselves to a given type of sound. I bet had you gotten the Pros or Z6s and grown accustomed to them, then auditioned the a/d/s, they'd have sounded dull :-). Not a bad thing on either account, just different. With this in mind, I think you'd really like the Polk SRs considering your preference.

I find that as I delve further and further into audio, the more I'm starting to dislike dark, warmer midbasses and midranges, but I used to love it. The Z6 and SEAS Lotus sets are more on the dry, sterile side as far as tonality, which I love IF the material is good. Metal tweeters have come a long way in the last few years as well, though most dedicated car audio metal tweeters still suck because of poor motor designs. The Lotus mids don't really sugarcoat anything, I'd have to say hands down the most neutral, natural midbass driver I've heard. The more I think about it, though, I think I'm going with the References :-).

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4976
yeah I agree with you I really like the warm mid range and not the harshness of a loud obnoxious tweeter. The old Boston pro's do sound very similar to the a/d/s'. I hear the z6's run off of a 300/2 so they were a tad underpowered I guess from what you say. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed them:-) Something just pulled me to the a/d/s'. I guess it is what you were saying. I have never heard the polk sr's but I do remember reading th earticle in car audio a few months back. They got great reviews with a hefty price tag. when I go in on wednesday to talk about what sub I want to run and customizing a box for it I will take another listen to the z6's. Speaking of subs do you think I would be able to swap a 13w6v2 in this enclosure? I know it doesnt have the specs out on it yet but depth wise I wonder if it will fit. I just don't think I would be happy with the w3. The nice thing though is the place where I go that sellt the a/d/s, and boston, also sell JL so they would be able to get the specs on the box and almost duplicate it to fit a SI mag 12 or even a w7 12, or a g5 12, or a idmax 12:-) lol too many choices I really have to narrow it down and just go with it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5573
"Speaking of subs do you think I would be able to swap a 13w6v2 in this enclosure? I know it doesnt have the specs out on it yet but depth wise I wonder if it will fit."

Which enclosure? I may have overlooked something.

I like the SQ of the W6v2 better than all others you've mentioned, the G5s are nice, too. I'd put the W6v2 above the ID Max SQ wise. I'm starting to wish I'd gotten a 12W6v2 instead of the Max. I love the Max, but the W6v2 is a straight out phenominal SQ driver.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4981
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1535 sorry man forgot to paste the link:-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4982
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1535 sorry man forgot to paste the link:-) it didnt bump it for some reason

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3026
The a/d/s 346's sound kind of tempting james. I may consider that in a future install and run them off the ppi a300 at 75 x 2 @ 4 ohm / What you think ?

Also what do you think about DLS components ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5574
Don't have a clue what the mounting depth of the W3v3 or the specs of the W3v3 will be. Nor do I have an idea how deep that stealthbox will be. Mounting depth of a 12W3v2 is around 6.5 inches, 13W6v2 is around 9. Hard to say what the W3v3 will be, but I'd bet it will be deeper than the current W3v2 due to the enhanced motor. You'll need to email JL about that one, but I'd think if a W6v2 was applicable, they'd have used it. They use it in other stealthbox designs.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4992
yeah I hear ya, but I could always redesign the enclosure to house a 13w6v2 or the 12w6v2 that I already have. I havnt hear the 13w6v2 what exactly is the difference between the two if anything sq wise if you have heard them both.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4993
they would sound great off of the ppi:-) The DLS compps are very nice also.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3031
Jonathan have you heard the DLS comps ? If so what can you compare the A/D/S and the Chameleons

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3032
?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5003
the DLS' and the chamel's are a bit brighter then the A/d/s'. The A/d/s' are more softer and laid back. I love them you dont have the harsh tweet even at high high volumes like you can get with some other components.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3034
James, i found a lower price on the a/d/s/ 346 cs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADS-A-D-S-346cs-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SET-NEW-2005_W0QQitemZ 5865679156QQcategoryZ32819QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tell me what you think :-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5004
that is a great price MO:-) they retail for $699 so you can't go wrong with that price.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3035
Right now i have the CDT HD62 with the 480 crossover and tw-24 tweeter. Very Smooth Set and laid back. Major differance between the sets are that the a/d/s/ 346 is rated 100rms and the hd62 is rated at 180rms so i wont to run as much power to them which i love. Wonder if they get loud enough to keep up with a ID MAX 12 or 2 ID 12's sealed.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5005
you wonder if the a/d/s' will get loud enough? if thats what you are asking the answer is ABSOLUTELY! they kept up with my brahma 15, my avalanche 15, my 3 jl10w6v1's, and my jl 12w6v2 with ease:-) off 80 watts off my ppi pcx 480

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3038
Alot of people say CDT's work well with IB setups to replace stock speakers. If your not going far with the install. I may try them out first and see how they sound before i upgrade them. I really like the sound of them aswell. I definetly prefer the warmer smoother component sets like you do.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3067
Ive decided to run CDT HD62 set up front in the stock door panals and mount the tweeter close to the midrange. I will power them off the ppi a600.2 and use the HU crossovers at 12db @ 100hz

I am either going to use CDT CL-6EX Coaxials for the rearfill or Infinity Referance 6.5 2 ways and run them off the Pioneer Premier 860 HU 22 watts rms a piece to each replacing the stock 6x9's and again use the HU crossovers at 12db @ 100-125hz or whatever sounds best. What do you guys say.

I will use my PPI PCX 2200 on my ID MAX 12 once i get it from cardomain.com and run it at 800 x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged.

or i could use my ppi a600.2 on the ID MAX 12 and the ppi pcx 2200 on the CDT HD62 set up front. Not 100% sure at the moment on which amp to use on the ID MAX 12 yet.

Maybe you all can help me decide...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us