Better getting a smaller sub, or run a bigger sub on less watts

Username: Thepunisher

Post Number: 8
i want to get an imagedynamice IDQ either 10 or 12 inch but i am going to put it in my room using a plate amp but i can only really afford a 300watt amp. would it be better to go with the smaller sub and run it a little higher then the recomended rms(which is at 250 for the 10) or to get the bigger sub and run it lower then the recomended rms (which is 350 for the 12)?? also any adive on a box to put just one of these in would also be nice
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5116
"i can only really afford a 300watt amp"

Whats ur budget???

Post Number: 9
because its just for the home not a lot so around $200 and down inculding shipping and stuff like that.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=43&Object Group_ID=505

thats really the only store i could find plate amps and the 300watt ones are way more in my budget then the 500watt amps

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2063
w/ those choices...i would go w/ the IDQ 12" (dvc 2ohm) on the 300w amp.

the 12" will provide more displacment and should be a lil more efficient.

stick it in a well built box and have fun.

ps...300w in a house should be loud!

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 109
If you get an IDQ 12" dual 4 ohm sub wire it in series to get 8ohms, then find a suitable HOUSE amplifier (100w/channel) that sub would sound so much better than using a auto amp in house. You will need a large ported enclosure and maybe some positioning in the room. Be sure to get a nice passive crossover for it. 300W in house is wayyyy too much and may not sound as good as the home amplifier, also that sub is designed to be efficient so you can run as little power through it with great results. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 803
Is a pro audio rack type amplifier considered a home theater type amplifier?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 112
Hell, if it has enough power and you can plug it into the wall, it'll work, lol..Polo.

PS- Just don't forget, you will need a X-over!

Post Number: 10
thanks for the information but first off im not using a car amp im using a panal amp....my friend has one but i havent seen him in a few years...what is the purpose of the crossover and/or what is a decent one?? i dont remeber him having one

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4683
you can try 2 Rythmik Audio plate amps 150 rms at 4 ohms and run each one on one voice coil it already has a low pass filter built in .....it would only cost you 150 dollars for 2 of them shipped thats 300 rms total...hows that for a deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/150W-RMS-4ohms-plate-sub-amp-New_W0QQitemZ5864814940QQcatego ryZ3275QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 4685
get the larger sub I have the 12 id 12 v 2 and it drops to 20 hz NO problem in a sealed box and would probably be even better ported

Gold Member

Post Number: 4687
"ps...300w in a house should be loud!"

it will be cuz I ran mine on 75 rms with bass boost on and it pounded and that was a sealed box 20 hz came out so clean your talking a 6 db boost going from 75 rms to 300 watts I hit like 95 db at 20 hz i think on 75 watts rms in aprox a 1 cf box in a apartment so youll be lookin at 101 db at 20 hz in a sealed box port it and youll be lookin at 104 db at 20 hz and thats probably conservative cuz the box size would change

ps...they say the spl meter i ahve reads a few db low at that frequency so it will impress you for sure

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us