Voice coils spent?

dupedoo
Unregistered guest
What does a sub sound like when the voice coils are burnt up? I have a 15" X.X.X and when the volume is up and it hits, it sounds funny. i can't really explain the sound, but can yall give me some ideas of what it could be?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4903
metal being scraped together, or if they are really fried you would have no output at all.

dupe-doo
Unregistered guest
yeah it sounds like metal being scraped together, what is that? i'm pretty sure it's sounded like that from the first day i got it.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2052
it only sounds like this when you turn it up really loud...right?
sounds like you are clipping your amp.

does the sub sound like metel clicking against metel every now and again?
if so, you are clipping the h3ll out of your amp.

---solution---
if your lites in your car dim...try an alt/batt upgrade. also, turn your gain down.

dupe-doo
Unregistered guest
okay so clipping my amp. i upgraded to a 150 amp alt. and i have a yellow top in the back, with a eD nine.1 amp. i was thinking of buying another nine.1 and running 1800 watts. what would happen if i did that?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4916
well with 1800 watts at peak power you will be drawing close to 150 amps if not more. Your yellow top in the back does you no good while your car is running, it actually makes more work for your alternator because it now has to charge 2 batteries instead of just one. A second battery is for when you play your stereo with your car off.

dupe-doo
Unregistered guest
so how do i only use the yellow top when my car is off? And do i replace my battery up front?

dupe-doo
Unregistered guest
So do i replace the battery up front? My lights don't really dim when it hits, but when i tach it up, the alternator spins more and the lights get brighter.

dupe-doo
Unregistered guest
Well hold on, the sub makes like a pop(?) sound when it hits and when i played it outside of the box it's a lot more noticeable. you can't really hear it that much with it in the box, just certain notes, not everyone. Still think it's clipping? I could replace the front battery but my lights don't really dim when the sub hits, it does get brighter when i tach it up, cause the alt spins faster.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 585
What kinda box is it? If a sealed then make sure that it is really sealed.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4986
what do you mean when you played it outside the box? do you mean free air? be carefull of that because the power handling drastically is reduced in a free air situation then in a small sealed enclosure. You can blow your sub very easily that way. Do you have a isolator between your batteries? if not look into it. You need a HO alt, if your lights are dimming then that is your alt telling you something like it is struggling to keep up. If you keep this up you could cause much more damage to your cars electrical by depriving them of there current that they need then it is worth. I dont know what kind of car you have but if you do have plans to run another 1000 watts you are going to need atleast a 200 amp alt. The reason your lights get brighter is because as you crank your engine to higher rpm's your alternators output increases towards it's peak performance. If you do look into a new HO alt look for one with the highest idle output that you can find.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us