Think I blew my type x

Username: Skatebowls

Cleveland, OH

Post Number: 6
I just bought a new amp for my type x, (JBL GTO 1201.1) and my sub is fairly broken in, its been running at 500 watts for about a month now. I started cranking it, and after about 5 minutes I smell voice coils burning. The cone pushes in fine so I turned down the gain a little bit. Now I have to blast the hell out of my head unit (volume to like 25) to get a normal level of bass (probably like 500 watts) It still sounds normal but its not hitting as hard...maybe because of the gain?? I think my dumbass just didnt set the amp right and distortion fucked my sub up...

If the case is that the sub is blown (which Im not sure of) how much would it cost to replace the voice coils if i sent it to alpine?? I think it is still under warranty, I bought it off Chauncey so maybe he might know??
I dont think its excess glue because the smell was fairly strong one time. It still seems to hit fine though when I turn the volume way up. If it is my fault by setting the gain/amp settings wrong, do you think my sub is damaged at all???

also, if anyone could help me on how to set my amp settings i would appreciate it, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4888
well smelling components cooking is never a good sign. You could have fried 1 coil and running off 1 at a higher impedence load so your sub wont be as loud. What Head unit do you have? whats the pre out voltage? These are things you need to look at prior to hooking up expensive components! go to www.bcae1.com and do some reading there is more material there then you could ever dream of.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2104
i doubt it's blown. those things take 1200 watts with a smile (and 1800 watts with a frown, but it takes it). your doubling the output of that amp (via clipping) shouldn't have damaged it. the glue is indeed known to cure at higher power levels on type x's.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 101
I agree with Mike. I have seen some subs just "burn in" so to speak where the coil finally gets some needed warmth, like burning in a new oven, lol. How much bass boost are you running and are you using a remote for it? Polo..

Cleveland, OH

Post Number: 7
well dude everything was hooked up fine man, i have a alpine 9847, i dont know the voltage bc i dont have a meter but im bout to get it chedked, i know i made the mistake of not properly setting my amp gains right but dont rub it in man...this sucks. also the amp is rated at about 1200 wrms, but i think another problem is i havent updgraded my alternator yet. do u think this is the reason for the clipping?? also theres no way that one coil is completely fried because my amp doesnt run stable at 1 ohm, (its wired parrallel)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2287
"i doubt it's blown. those things take 1200 watts with a smile (and 1800 watts with a frown, but it takes it)."

i love how you describe how much the type xs can take.

Cleveland, OH

Post Number: 8
the boost on the amp is rated 0 - 24 dB i believe...i had it set somwhere around 10 or 15, then i turned it down once the problem arose. i do not have a remote either..

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2289
Tweaking Your Bass
By AdireRulesForever

Here is a tweaking process for getting the most from your subs and amp. Additional boom from the sub(s) is/are our main goal here, so will focus mainly upon that. Here we go:

Get out a few of your favorite CD's. Something with good mix and some low thump content. Dial back on the sub amp gain so there is very little sub in the mix. Turn off any bass boost features in the amp for now. May need a little later, but for now, no bass boost for now. Let's get to work 'cause BABY, it's cold outside!

Set the EQ functions on HU to "0" or "flat" (no cuts, no boost)
Pop in the CD/tape/MP3 and select your favorite cut(s) and repeat.
Turn up the HU volume knob until you hear some distortions from the interior stage speakers.
Back off on the volume until distortions are gone. Is best to get out of the car and listen with doors open from a few feet away. If you still hear a rough sound, back off on the volume a bit more.
Now, time to add the sub into the mix. If amp has a low Pass filter, set it in a range between 70-120 Hz. No bass boost just yet. If you have continuously variable LPF, determine what sounds best in your ears, within the range noted.
Bring up the gain on the sub amp, until you get it thumping and hear a "little" distortion.
Back off on the sub gain (a wee bit) until it sound full, deep and clean.
If bass seems a bit lacking of punch or deep lows, a small amount of Bass Boost, can be added. (+3 to +6dB is all you should ever need here)
Again, if you hear the sub getting rough from distortion, back off on the gain a bit more.
Now, you may use the Bass Tone control on the HU to adjust your bass from the driver's seat. This works well in simple HU's. But if you have a menu driven EQ system, this is a bit more cumbersome.

That's about it and now time for a test drive to ensure you have the system well balanced and in control. However, if you still have poor bass performance or weak bass output. May try reverse the wires to the sub and see if that improves the overall affect. If it gets better, you're good to go. If it seems worse, return the sub wires to original orientation.

Finally, if you have done all these steps correctly, and the bass is still not getting much bump or louder, and your gains are maxed out, you may have to go back to the LOC's and adjust them, in conjunction with the sub amp gains.

The LOC's trim pots, act like water mixing valves. Turing them in one direction, will feed more input voltage to the sub amp. Going the other direction on the pots, will reduce your sub output power. This optimizing process, should get your sub(s) up to par with the rest of your system. If not, something is off kilter here and needs more attention. Happy thumping!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us