This Grown Man Is CRYING..... HELP PLEASEEEE...

Silver Member
Username: Swantlaphoenix

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 127
I've had my x.x.x for 10 months now. I was playing it like normal last night and all of a sudden it went out. I was thinking it was my amp. Checked everything out right now and the amp was good. I yell F*** hoping its not the sub and what do i find... this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/swantlaphoenix/coil2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/swantlaphoenix/coil1.jpg
I'm not sure now is that the voice coil or simply the tinsel leads. One broke on each side. I DONT get why this would happen. I dont have the bass boast on. Its wasnt over or under powered (Ed Nine.1) powering it. Any ideas? Can this be fixed? I Yi Yi

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 292
Manufactuer Glitch. Moisture. Man that sucks.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10955
ok that sir, is a tinsel lead.. and separation is caused generally by one of two events..

1: amplifier clipping leading to gross distortion.

2: more likely; sub was in a ported enclosure, and subsonic filter was not used, or not set to the frequency of the port tuning, resulting in the sub unloading and over-excursing, separating the leads, and possible damaging the coils.

This folks, is what happens to a speaker without a subsonic filter in a ported box.. for everybody who's always asking "why do I need that?"

Username: Mrdildohead

Post Number: 5
whats a subsonic filter?

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 128
Yes what is a subsonic filter.. If im not mistaken my amplifier has a subsonic filter on it. And also this sub was in a sealed enclosure the whole time. Can this be fixed or would it be too expensive? I never heard any clipping from my amplifier?

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 129
The gain is set half way on the amp. My sublevel level on my deck was 10 outta 15.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 130
Alright so I just read an whole post on someone elses tinsel leads on a x.x.x split. Now I have no problem paying RE $125 to get it fixed. Now the question... why the hell is my amplifier clipping. Is it just because its a cheap ( elemental designs nine .1) or what? What can I do to prevent this? My gain on my amp was only half way. The subsonice filter was set. THe only possibility I can think of is voltage drops at night.

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 356
Actually,... the NINe.X amps are very nice... I've been looking for a NINe.1 and a NINe.2...

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 487
half way on your gain isnt neccessarily the correct setting for your head unit. it could be as little as 1/5th or 1/3rd the way up to be matched right. you should be able to turn your volume 80-90% up without distortion.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 131
i can turn my HU volume all the way up on my alpine and dont hear distortion please Im under powering this damn sub I just dont get it. My hu is 4v out. could this just be a RE defect?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5306
Jeepo, read what GlassWolf posted.
Was your sub in a ported box?
You need to set the subsonic filer on.
As for distortion, sometimes it can't be heard. That is how lot of people blow their subs, assuming that everything is fine cause they don't hear any distortion/clipping.
You will find that almost EVERY single HUs will distort at max volume. Some will sound clear, but if you have the test equipments, you'll see the waves.
You also mentioned about having the sub volume around 10 out of 15. Well boosting bass alters your gain setting. Therefore, you mostly overloaded your amp, causing distortion/clipping.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4889
well the input sesitivity ranges from 150mv-7volts 4 volts would not be half way now would it?

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 99
Yes what is a subsonic filter.. If im not mistaken my amplifier has a subsonic filter on it. And also this sub was in a sealed enclosure the whole time. Can this be fixed or would it be too expensive? I never heard any clipping from my amplifier?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------

I think he said it was in a sealed enclosure. Polo..

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 132
ISSAC the idea you presented about the sub volume makes sense but how should I set the sub volume on an alpine then? Isnt it simply the volume given to the sub preouts? If its at 0 there is no bass so its more of a volume not gain isnt it?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4909
I never turn my sub gain above 5 and thats rare. If your sub isnt loud enough then look into other problems such as a faulty box, lack of power supply, underpowering...... The sub boost is to be used as a minor boost for different variety's of music not a second volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us