Ripped Surround JL W7

Username: Mcnasty37

Post Number: 8
I recently ripped the surround on my 10 W7. Before I replace it with something else is there any place online that I can buy a new surround to fit. I have already talked to JL and they want $240 plus shipping ($60) to repair it. For that price I would rather buy something else. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 621
just get a RE SE or an SX that should fit your needs nicely. What are u looking for spl,sql,or sq.

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 622
also what kind of amp u working with

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 992
i take it the sub isn't under warranty. a guy brought a 10w7 back to HiFi Buys, he cut the surround cuz he didn't know how to get to the mounting screws and JL actually replaced it for free for him, lol, i wouldn't have. what a dumbass.

for another $100 or so you can get another one on ebay.

Post Number: 10
The W7 is out of warranty. I was pushing it with a Rockford Fosgate 1001bd 1000watt mono block. I liked the sound quality of the w7, but 1 10" in the JL ProWedge box just wasn't loud enough for my taste. So now I am considering going with 1 or 2 12's. I thinking about maybe looking into getting 2 12" Ascendant Audio Assassin's. I have heard they have nice quality and hit well. Do you think 2 of those will pound harder than the single w7 I had? I listen to alot more rock than rap so I want a punchy sub preferably in a sealed box to save space, but also something that will really pound to rap every now and then.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 339
sad story :-( how did you rip it??

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1182
i'd consider 1 10 or 12inch arsenal over 2 assassins, put it in a nice ported box and it should as loud if not louder than the w7 and should be about the same sq wise, or mabey 1 havoc you'd be underpowering it but im sure it would still get loud and have excellent sq.

Bronze Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 74
Thats why i am surprised that the more expensive brands get so much press, for the price you paid for that w7 they sould at least charge you a lot less for repair! all the bigger companies care about is money, be sides the cones on those w7's only cost about 2.50 the surround cant be that much.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but something sliding around in the trunk made a small puncture in the surround. Then over time the quality began to get worse and by the time I realized what had happend it had already grown to a 6 inch rip. On a better note, it does make a badass paperweight.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1184
a VERY exspensive paperweight!!

Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 6
why dont you just take it to a good shop that will fix it for you, im sure someone who knows what they are doing can fix that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I would like to, but I have called all the audio shops that I know of in my area and I can't find anyone willing to repair it. I could probably do it myself, I have repaired my w0's in the past by replacing the surround. My problem is I can't find a surround for the W7. As you all know the W7 has a different suround than any other sub I have seen. The only people that I know have it is JL and they won't sell me just the surround. The surround probably cost them less than $5, but they wanna charge $240 to repair plus shipping. For that price I could buy a brand new badass sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us