Can I find what my box is tuned to with a mic of some kind?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 158
Can I find what my box is tuned to with a mic of some kind and where would be a good place to find one if so?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10919
you'd need a tuned mic and an RTA. got about $2500?

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 159
well then.. is there any other cheaper way?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10924
sure.
find the internal net volume of your box after driver displacement, then measure the port length and inner diameter, and graph it to see what the frequency is.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 220
sure.
find the internal net volume of your box after driver displacement, then measure the port length and inner diameter, and graph it to see what the frequency is.

uh....... what

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 162
GlassWolf if I give you the numbers can you do it?
4.7 cubic feet of air and 49.5 inches of port

just an educated guess would be nice I already built the box.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10942
what's the ID of the port? 3", 4"? is it round?

what sub is this for?

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 87
Can't you just play a test sweep through your amp and see where it is the loudest? Polo.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 179
what do you mean test sweep?
I dont understand what you mean.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 180
GlassWolf the port is 3 inches wide and 16.5 inches high rectangular

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 89
A Built enclosure, complete with a sub and ports will resonate at a certain point. By using a signal generator on a laptop plugged into your amp running your sub you can test frequencies until you find at which it resonates at (will be the loudest point). You can trial and error tune for a set that you are looking for. It would be easier with round ports using PVC pipe of approprate dia. Was just an idea, how accurate would this be? Polo..

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 194
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2059
mitchell,

how long is the port (if it makes an L in the box, measure it right down the center)?

also...is your box 4.7cuft net or gross? (before or after port/sub displacements)

Anonymous

Polo's kinda talking about box resonance caused by port tuning and cabin gain. Depending on your box tuning and sub, you'll have an increase in spl at a certain frequency. If you model it with a program like WinISD, you'll see what I'm talking about. If you change the port tuning, you'll change the frequency that this occurs at. If you listen to a test tone cd, you will hear it, but it is not the same thing as what your port is tuned at. Now, your vehicle has its own frequency it resonates at. If you compete in spl, you try to get both frequencies the same, so you get a huge spike at one frequency. If you want SQ, you try to get rid of any spikes so all frequencies have the same loudness.

Bronze Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 14
hey guy,

you need to measure the volume of the box then subtract the port volume and the displacement of the woofer, mmmmkay.

take this volume and place it in this calculator

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

guess and check the frequency of the port at the bottom of the calculator and you should get a good idea.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us