Help!! Sons B-day

Username: Evan67

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, i need some serious help :-( to put this together for my sons birthday comming up in a few days. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me. I have a Blitz Audio 1,000 watt 4 channel amplifier and 2 speakers in the rear of the car and 2 in the front and i got 2 audiobahn subs. How in the heck can i hook all this up to this 4 channel amplifier HELP lol please. can someone please draw me a diagram of some sort.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10912
you really can't ideally. you should use one amp for the subs (mono) and the 4 channel for the components front and rear.
you could wire the subs to the rear channels of the amp, and all four door speakers to the front channels, but you'll overpower the door speakers and underpower the sub, and it'd sound lousy.
keep in mind that "1000 watt" amp you got for $50 isn't 1Kw on it's best day. It's really only about 50 watts x 4 RMS.
Cheap amp companies lie about their ratings to look impressive to people who don't do their research on better equipment before buying.

Post Number: 2
oh ok i see thanks , how would i just power the 2 rear speakers in the car and the 2 subwoofers?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 160
find out if the amp is bridgeable to 2 channels this will help you with that http://www.bcae1.com/ article 51 . That site also has all the info you will need to hook up 2 amps, the correct wireing, the correct fuse and size evrything you need is there.

Post Number: 3
yes its a 4 channel amp and it is bridgeable. now what do i do ?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 161
bridge the amp and use it for the rear speakers. as for running another amp you wil need a distribution block with a heavy gauge wire running to the battery like 4 gauge. or I guess you could run power 2 wires from the battery but if you do make shure you put a fuse right next to the battery on both but this is not recomended (running two cords).and another thing to keep in mind when hooking up multiple amps is that your alternator baisicly runs your system and some times if your system is pulling more amps than your alternator can give it can take power from the spark plugs and make your car die and thats bad.what kind of subs are they and what wattage?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4855
well you would be better off running the 4 speakers off of the head unit, and then bridging the 4 chan amp down to 2 chan and run 1 chan to each sub. Like glass said that amp is prob more like 50-100 watts of rms output /chan.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10929
still the same problem. the rear speakers and the subs will be an unbalanced load and you'll underpower the subs severely. you'll increase the amp gain to compensate for lack of power, which will make the amplifier clip, and you'll fry the subs, and probably the amp, too.
You'll also destroy the soundstage by having all the power on the rear speakers.
You want the front stage to get the power.. that's where 70% of music is. The front speakers.

your 4 channel amp is only good for driving the front and rear speakers. period.
if you want to use those Abahn subs, you'll need a mono amp (are these 4 ohm single coil subs, or dual 4 ohm, or what?) that puts out about 600-800 watts *RMS* at the load presented by the speakers.

This is why you should do your research before buying, instead of buying blindly. We could have steered you toward equipment that'll last more than 6 months before it fails for just a bit more money, and the proper speakers and amplifiers for a good, reliable system.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4856
Glass I understand what you are saying but wouldnt 200 watts to the subs bridged and run the other 4 speakers off of his head unit be a better idea if he doesnt want to run another amp? I know that amp isnt 1000 watts but I am sure it could put 150x2 provided it is stable at the impedence that the vc's of the audiobahns would show the amp.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10932
audiobahn subs are horridly inefficient and suck power for output. the drawback to that is they need plenty of power to do much of anything decently.
the drawback to the latter point is that with an amp that underpowered, one of them will eventually try to make up for it by maxing out the input sensitivity levels on the amp, and they'll clip the bejeezus out of it and burn up the subs after listening to 80% distortion for a bit.

The other problem is the amp when bridged will only be 4 ohm stable, and I'm betting those subs are dual 4 ohm coil models, ala audioblah.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1363
agreed, i wish people would stop telling to bridge a 4channel unless they know what sub and voice coil configs they have. Bridging is not always better,

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 529
Is the amp the 4160 or 4190? They both claim 1000w max power, but the 4160 is the el cheapo - the manual actually specifies 35w x 4 at 4 ohms, 50x4 at 2 ohms.
The 4190 however appears to be a fairly powerful amp. Specs are 100x4 at 4 ohms and 150x4 at 2 ohms.
And do you know the model number of the subs?

With the 4190 what I would do is run your 4 front speakers at 2 ohms stereo off two channels, and bridge the other two to run the subs -- assuming they are indeed dvc 4's.
It would be less than the ideal set up, but should get decent results and play relatively loud.
If you've got the 4160 you can do the same thing, but with that kind of power you're just not going to get much out of it.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4858
hey Ty thats whay I said
"150x2 provided it is stable at the impedence that the vc's of the audiobahns would show the amp."
There is nothing wrong with running a 4 chan amp to 2 subs if it can handle the loads. The only prob you run into is = output settings but that can be easily taken care of by todays standard multi meter:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us