How big amp?

Username: Criz

OxfordEngland

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm planning to put in some new speakers in my car and wonder how big amp I should get.

The speakers I'll install are Kenwood KFC-7189ie 7"x10" 320watts peaks and Kenwood KFC-1789ie 6.5" 220watts peak.

I do appreciate clean sound I am thinking of a big amp to run the 7x10s and a small one for the fronts.

I am interested in getting a Kenwood KAC-PS501F 2x200W@4ohm 12V, and a Kenwood KAC-PS100 2x50W@4ohm 12V.

I can see this is a bit overkill but what I have noticed at home hifi is that more cream means more clarity and response.

Will I have to do any changes to my car? Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 8v with a decent battery. Since I'm not into subwoofers I'm not sure if I need a new alternator.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Kris

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10914
for those speakers, you need an amp that puts out a clean 50 watts RMS x 4 channels at 4 ohms.

Username: Criz

OxfordEngland

Post Number: 2
Sure, that is what I need. But I want them to perform fully and not just at ordinar rating. What do I need to push them to their peak?

And if they are rated peak 320w, doesn't that mean that they can take an input of 320w? Logically thinking that would be the power it takes to have them work at 100%.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us