Which will hit higher dbs?In theory

Bronze Member
Username: Titanbk

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 70
I am going to be running an orion 2500 to an ma audio hard kore 15 at 1 ohm and 14 volts. Now will I hit higher dbs with a re sx/re xxx, than the MA Audio. I am running it in a 5 cu ft box in an eclipse. IN THEORY which sub would I hit higher dbs with?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 877
You couldn't run that much power to an SX or XXX. MAYBE a XXX if you keep the volume way down. If you would buy 2 SX's and give them 1250 rms apeice they would be louder I would think.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 854
Chris why couldnt you run that much power on them?
Its been done every day. lamo

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 73
I thought the XXX is rated at 2500 rms and can take more? From what I have read on this forum anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2030
an SX15 could take an orion 2500d on burps like a champ. (w/ that size box, depending on tuning freq...if you wire your SX15 to 1ohm nominal, you will see about 3.3ohm of box rise and your burp freq.)

you bout run the Sx at 4ohm daily and 1ohm for comps.

as for which would be louder...depending on how you build your box, any of the 3 could be the loudest. is all in the install.

try the CRX style box i mentioned in that emai.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 108
why don't you figure it out. You'll want to find some other info out first but

First we need to the Vd(volume displacement measured in Liters)(if its not already provided)
if the Sd is measured in cm^2 you'll need to change it to m^2, you'll convert it over by dividing by 10,000. So say, Sd is 775cm^2, divide it by 10,000 and you have 0.0775m^2.

Next is Xmax, which should be measured one way Xmax. IIRC you have to double it. ie 15mm xmax goes to 30mm xmax.

NOw Vd= (2(Xmax)xSD) or 30x0.0775=2.325L

Do this to two different drivers and see what each one, if everything was the same and barring things like cabin gain, has the potential to do.

Now lets say you're two different drivers gave you Vd's of 2.35L and 2.49L, to find out percentage wise how much more displacement one has use A=larger Vd divided by C(which is A minus B(which is smaller displacement)x100.

or
A-B=C, then (c/a)x100=D so using those numbers

So using our numbers (A)2.49L-(B)2.325L=(C)0.165L
Now converted to % and we have (c/a)x100=D

(.165/2.49)x100=6.626%

Now i don't remember where i learned this part but I believe its 100% more Vd equates to 6db difference, 50% is3db, 25% is half that you keep on halfing it. So we're looking at a little of 6.5% difference. To make it easy on how to figure it out use, we'd cross multiply.

D X
___ =___
100% 6

(6.626x6)/100=X or it'd equate to .40(rounded up) db louder from diver 1 and 2. .4db louder isn't noticably different unless you're an SPL competitor where every db counts. But this only gives driver potential if used in like a lab where cabin gain, amps, and other factors come into play.

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 74
marshall did you get the pick of my box I am using now? Also how do I know what my ports are tuned to? I bought this box off ebay and I'm not sure what it's tuned to. This is the link to my box and measurements. Sorry if the writing is too small.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2228000-2228999/2228702_10_ful l.jpg

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 75
and my box is 5.396 cubic feet internal volume

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2031
to find what a box is tuned to...you need:

-either the net or gross internal volume
-port area (and # of ports)
-port length

i bet you that just by swapping over to a CRX box style, you will see a noticable jump in SPL.

alteraudio,
finding te Vd of 2 subs and comparing them in order to figure out which will be louder works ok for sealed boxes...but when you are talking about doing an all out SPL install w/ ported boxes tuned to peak at a car's res freq, its a flawed concept.

also, finding the Vd only takes into account subs moving within xmax...but in real life subs are very likly to move outside of their xmax in spl installs.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10888
the RE XXX is a SQ sub.
the SX will be louder due to being more efficient.
the RE MT is the best solution for SPL and the only real choice @ 2500 watts RMS

be sure you have an electrical system to back up that amp, too.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1325
Why MA? Their voice coils have always been terrible and they blow way to easy... There are much better subs for the money or just a little bit more...

Bronze Member

Mansfield, CT USA

Post Number: 76
Well I was going through a local distributor and he swears by MA and Visonik, and before I started doin my own research I was very trusting in this one gentlemen and he told me to get an MA Audio hk15x2 and a Visonik V900hc. So, I did and was okay with the results of 145.8 dbs but now I want more and I dont think MA and Visonik are going to cut it. For a charging system I have a HO alt that puts out 174 amps at 1600 rpms. I have upgraded the big 3 to 4 guage cables, and 2 optima yellow top batteries. I hope that answers your question ty.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 284
might have to go bigger with the wiring......especially for the Orion 2500D.....i would move up to 0/1 gage wire.....it will also help the amp in keeping the current it needs fed to it!

i changed out to 0/1 gage on a 500.1 amp and i noticed a bit of a difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us