Image Dynamics ID12 v.3 D2 / 2 of these off 500 rms / JONATHAN

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2976
Ive decided to go with 2 of these ID 12's and put them in my old 12w6v2 prowedge box that my jls were in before i sold them. Each woofer will have 1.25cuft to work with in this JL box.

Eric Stevans at ID recommends 1.25cuft per sub so i realized i had that sealed enclosure that holds 2 12" subs. My lucky day!!!

I know ID makes some efficiant subs and i figure ill run 250 rms to each off my crossfire vr1000d that puts out 500x1 @ 2 ohm / I cant wait to run this setup.

2 ID 12's will cost me $250 shipped thru cardomain.com's 105% price match policy. Tell me what you think about this setup jonathan. I know they have great low end bass and SQ and value.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4522
I have one of these subs only its in version 2 and it was in about 1 cf net and it was on much less power since you like the sound of JL subs id say youll like the image dynamics id 12 its a very controlled subwoofer but just a little over dampened for my taste and the thing breaks absolutely no sweat on a 20 hz bass tone and i mean no sweat which is amazing to me. If you want to know what I mean about overdampening and how it sounds it sounds similar to a jl 13 w7 and ive heard two of them.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2977
Thanks sean. Jonathan i know you have heard these also. Let me know what you think about my first post

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2979
They are rated at 400 watts rms peak. Eric Stevens from ID Tech says 1000 watts rms is the most he whould put to these and also says 500 rms to a pair of these works fine also. I may go with the 1000 X 1 @ 1 ohm after all and just watch my gain level and set it accordingly since a pair of dual 4 ohm versians can be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohm if i decide to change the amp later.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4552
man i dunno bout that I had one movin decent on 75 rms

Gold Member

Post Number: 4553
if you put 500 to one id be VERY carefull

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2980
See thats what im worried about. Read this review they did for the 10" versian which is suppose to handle 400 rms / Read the last paragraph on the 4th page. Makes me want to just run 500 x 1 @ 2 ohms / 250 rms per sub

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2981
Here is it / http://www.roadgearmag.com/article.asp?section_id=13&article_id=483&page_number= 1

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4816
Hey MO Eric stevens is the president of ID, did he really tell you that he would put 1000 watts to a id12? I would never put that kind of power to one of those subs. These subs are very nice in the SQ area with little power which is nice and easy on the electrical system. They don't like to be pushed to the limits like the id max does. I don't think you will be very happy with them MO knowing the type's of subs you have used in the past and not been happy with. I woud stick with your ID max idea:-)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2983
Well i am planning on testing out the ID MAX 12 sealed at 1.5 cuft as soon as ID ships them to Cardomain so cardomain can ship them to me !!!!

I have always been happy with ID and JL products overall. I plan on putting 2 ID 12's in my JL prowedge box i had my 12w6v2's in since i dont feel like selling the box and worry about shipping it. I think these are excellant budget subs from what i gathered and hear they drop real low from what i have read and sean on here has said the same. My box suits these subs perfectly and they are very effficant.

Eric Stevens the president of ID said that the most he whould use to push 2 of these is 1000 watts rms and also mentioned that 500 rms is great for these. Im thinking i whould be safer with the 500 rms going into 2 of these sealed.

ID MAX 12 will be used off my ppi art 600.2 in due time James :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4820
I completly agree with you MO they are fantastic for the money:-) I just can't believe the president would say that about the subs when they are only 250 rms! I am not doubting that under protective circumstances they could handle that amount of power but it's just unusual for the presidento to say such a statement. It could cause a good amount of problems if you go run 1000 watts to it and cook them all day long ya know. I can't wait till you get the ID max and test that out on the a600:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4556
yeah with the amount of movement i saw mine give on 75 rms im thinking youll reach excursion limits quickly if you go with 500 rms and thats askin for all kinds of trouble plus from my exp I think you start to loose sq when you get alot of excursion from subs

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2984
Im going to just stick with 500 x 1 @ 2 ohm to power 2 of these like you guys say. I believe they are very efficiant and dont need 1000 watts lol. / Yeah james i cant wait to put the ID MAX 12 with the a600 :-)

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2985
"The problem in that magazine article was an adhesive problem that has been corrected.

1000 watts is a lot of power but used without being abusive you will not have any problems at all. If you are an abusive listener then you could have some issues with this much power.

500 watts is enough though so be honest with yourself about volume expectations and proceed accordingly."

Image Dynamics
310-856-4999

Gold Member

Post Number: 4633
hes lookin for a cleaner power approach from the way i take his reply

chevy 02
Unregistered guest
i had just installed my system in truck 2 infinity 10" and an infinity amp my problem is the subs want turn up with the radio can u help me out

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2986
What do you mean sean? I guess they can really handle 400 rms kind of like the 12w6v2's that are also 400 rms. I believe these are alot more efficiant though. I may end up getting the dual 4 ohm versian and eventually run 250-300 watts rms to each which is a good amount.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2993
They are actually 400 watts rms a piece max.

I may run my ppi a600.2 to these at 300 rms per sub and see how that sounds until i get my ID MAX 12 :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4638
what i mean is what they call headroom i think....using more power than you need so that you get cleaner more stable power to your subwoofers

Gold Member

Post Number: 4639
but not really using its full potential ....hence his abuse comment to cover himself in case you do and mess them up lol

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2996
I went ahead and ordered the dual 4 ohm versian of the ID 12 so i should be getting it by next week thru cardomain. $283 shipped for 2 of them

I will probably run them at first of my crossfire vr1000d at 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm and set the gain accordingly with bass boost off and run it at the amps 12db slope and im not sure what do set the slope on the HU to in this case. I will probably filter it out at 80hz-100hz and set my front stage to 100hz of my HU since my ppi a600.2 doenst have crossovers which makes it easiar. Just not sure if i should use the amp filter/slope or the HU or both. Just want to set this right for best sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4668
ok mo let me know what you think of the subs after you get them installed

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4937
In the past MO I have had better results using the built in x-over's on my amps over my radio. I use the radio for mids and highs but for my subs I noticed a large difference when using the x-over on my hcca 250g4 or on my HU. Weird but it was a big difference.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3006
So just turn the LPF off on the HU right ? Since that crossfire amp is 12db thats the highest slope i could use if i go with the amps crossover right ?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4943
yeah that will be perfect. You can try running them both one at a time and see what the acoustic difference is if any. use the amp first and play it then turn on the head unit x-over and the amp off and listen to it and make your decision that way. that's what I did with mine.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5308
MO, if you max out the xover on HU and on the amp, then you'll increase your odds of overloading the amp, causing it to distort/clip(especially on lower quality amps).

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3008
Im not sure how to turn off the crossover on the amp. Thats the thing. Its has HPF,LPF,FULL / Not sure if i can turn it off.

On the HU i usually go

HPF - 12db @ 100hz

LPF- 18db @ 80hz but i had my HU and Amp on at the same time all this time

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 4957
turn it to full

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3015
I will try that once i get my id 12 subs in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us