Question about nitrous..sorry its unrelated..

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 830
1-what would happen if a cop pulled you over and saw it

2-can any car have nitrous?

3- what is the best kind...i hear NOS is...but what type...wet, dry, fogger??

4-does it hurt the engine?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 878
uh oh not this discussion again. i would think the cop would give you a much harder time if he saw the nitrous though most people have it in their trunk so you would have to be kinda screwed to begin with for the cop to see it. i would think any car can have it its a question of how long will it last with the amount you use. you could put it in a model T but i doubt it would last that long. the increased power will put additional stress an basically everything. engine parts will go much quicker, so will driveshaft, clutch, brakes, etc. you may get blown pistons or engines. do a search on streetfire.net and you may see people screwing around with NOS and blowing their engines. if you use it in moderation i would think any car would be up for it. start doing drag and i think you will have to service parts quite often. i think others on this board will be able to give more detailed info but i think thats the gist of NOS.

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 328
it does decrease the life of the engine if you keep on using it daily. you should only use it only if someone in the street wants to race.

Silver Member

Post Number: 832
if i ever get a new car ... i will put nitrous in it right away...i was just curios...

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1417
On a new car? Ok... You need to do some reading. You need to BUILD that engine up to handle the extra stress. Stronger pistons, stronger connecting rods, and some race bearings would be a good start. But you'll also probably want to put aluminum heads on (if not already aluminum) and put a higher-end valve in, or you'll start burning valves, and that's no fun... I spend thousands on engines for my cars, and if I'm putting nitrous on, it gets even more spendy!

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 286
Yes are u serious is this guy trying to be funny

i wouldnt put nitrous on a new car anyway, or do u mean a new car to u. if so do u

wet-nitrous and gas mixed together
Dry-just ntirous
Fogger-like wet just sprays directly into the intake

as for parts stuff should be upgraded if u want to keep that motor for more than 1month

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
what do you mean am i serious?
why would i be joking?
i dont mean a new car necessarily as in an 06...just different than what i have

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 291
oh cuz me and a couple of these other guys got into a big argument on nitrous

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10897
quick answers:

nothing. it's not illegal.

2-can any car have nitrous?

pretty much, yes. the amount of boost you can add varies depending on how strongly the engine is built to take the added pressure from the higher compression.

3- what is the best kind...i hear NOS is...but what type...wet, dry, fogger??

wet or dry depends on if you're going carbureted or injection, and how much power you're adding. the pro fogger setups are generally for 200+HP power adders. Think big V8s built for strip use, running multi-stage spray.
wet mixes fuel and NO2 together before injecting it into the manifold, whereas a Dry system injects the NO2 directly into the manifold after the fuel/air mix is injected.
There are several good companies. NOS is owned by Holley/Edelbrock. There is also NX and Zex.
NX makes outstanding packages for most cars.

4-does it hurt the engine?

Not if it's done right, no.
It will increase engine temperatures, and compression ratios, but if the system is tuned properly and within the tolerances of the engine you should be fine if it's used properly. Modern NO2 systems are mostly protected from user error, with things like RPM limiters and full-throttle engaging (WOT) triggers requiring no "user determination" for when to spray or for how long.

Silver Member

Post Number: 836
what companies make the nitrous that the driver can control when it comes on...with buttons on the steering wheel or something like that

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10926
it's just a matter of how the activation is wired.
good way to blow the motor though.

You don't want to engage the spray unless you're at WOT.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 571
just buy a car w/ a big engine in it already and build up the engine naturally even a turbo or supercharged engine would be better. What I understand from Glass wolf and probably what most experts believe is that you can technically do the nitrous and have it be fine but it is quite involved and certainly not practical. plus it is very dangerous and there is a risk involved of it blowing up it doesn't blow up easily but there is a chance.it's not worth the danger unless you're some kind of hardcore street racer who always races and has nothing to lose and you have a lot of money to blow on somethin like this.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 896
its amazing what lame movies like fast and furious do to people.

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 78
I saw a guy back in 1989 spray a Dodge Horizon and it wooped the sh!t out of a mustang GT, lol. Spray can work on any engine and can be a great alternative to creating horse power without a geat expense, the key is moderation. You cannot run a 3 stage fogger system as on Fast and the Furious on you neon, you WILL melt the sh!t out of your rings, valves and pistons. You need to educat yourself before doing anything like that. Polo..

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 79
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Actually if it is automotive grade, he can do nothng, medical grade, you CAN get busted! LOL. We use to use medical grade at parties back in the day (Whippids) what a highhhhhh, made you dance around like Snoop.... :-O)

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10940
nitrous has it's place.
I ran it last year with a two-stage setup on my car.. but keep in mind I was spraying about a 250-300HP adder into a $20K engine that was built to take that sort of abuse, and puts out near 700HP n/a. I'm in the process of taking the spray off now though. just more than I need.. it was nie at the strip, but completely impractical anywhere else.

Nitrous is good at a drag strip. It's not so good on street cars in most cases, since your average 22 year old doesn't really have any understanding of the inner workings of an engine, or how to really use spray ideally, and not kill something.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 579
yep agreed ^^^
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us