Off topic - Painting a car

Anonymous

Does anybody know the basic of mixing paint,reducers,clearcoat,ect. or know where i can find somewere to teach me?

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 282
go to school and learn that there is no way anybody can break it down or anyone on here to tell you....well that i know of

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 512
paintscratch.com
good place to start

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1418
Be an apprentice at an autobody shop and ask LOTS of questions. Then if you really like it after awhile of working in a shop doing the b1tch work (wet sanding, buffing, etc.) then maybe head into the profession...

But painting a car is something you want to do right the first time. It's a lot easier to spend the time and $ to do it right the first time. Because the second time is even worse!

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 227
its alot easier now all the paint is premixed prethined so you can pick it out and go if you want to learn the old way you have to go to someone who has been in it for 30yrs so they would be in there 40s-50s

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 287
well guess i was wrong

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1421
Thomas E. Miller: no, paint isn't just "premixed". It is if you're repainting the entire car. But if there's just a fender or a door skin, you still have to match the color, and trust me, it requires a lot of skill. When they make the car, the colors aren't all the same. Original paint jobs really suck @ss...

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 230
they do have all your basic colors premixed my dad is in the auto body bis he says it too easy he likes the old way but if you have a coustom color you cant just pick it up you have to hand mix it

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10891
basics yes but if you want anything that looks "good" as in a color that really pops, you need to play with the paints and find what works.
In my case I'm about to sit down with a HoK paint chip book, then find a basic color and play with it till I get the blue I want for my car.
Then again, that paint is $97/quart.. so it depends what you want to spend for a good paint job, too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us