Bridging 2 channel amplifier?

Anonymous
Can anyone tell me how to bridge 2 subwoofers to a 2 channel amplifier?

jamessk8erdud
switch Pos to Neg and Neg to Pos

Adam
ignore that advice, it makes no sense. You can't really bridge your 2 subs safely to a 2 channel amp. Are they single 4ohm subs? If they are, you can't do it without getting 1ohm at the amp, which is usually unstable unless otherwise stated.

Derek
You don't gain anything by bridging when you have two drivers. If you have a 150 watt per channel amp and bridge it to one 300 watt channel, you haven't gained anything. The amp also runs more stable and into lower impedences in two channel mode. The only time bridging make sense is when you have one driver, but you have two.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan B. Gatsby
* You're all wrong!! HA! Anyone with an ounce of sense in them knows that there is no such thing as bridging subs to make them more powerful! This is actually an ancient greek myth that has been unsuccesfully tested over the years. If you really want to add more power to your system, you're going to need to get a large car battery and some wire connectors. With this, you can hook each of your subs to one of the terminals on the battery, and then, to each other between the leftover terminals. Trust me on this one, it makes your music sound superb!!
Good Luck my friend!

Nathan P.
this guy is crazy
but honestly, to bridge your subs the right way, you're going to need to get a firm grip on yourself, squarly between the balls, and just go for it.....
...GO FOR IT!!!!
AAHHHHHHHHH!!!
good luck my friend

Nathan P. continued
AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

C-Money
dude if you hit your subs by running positive to negative and negative to positive your subs will hit out of phase and they will more than likely blow dont listen to that other douche up there

they do ive doine it before to blow a sub so i could take it back to best buy and get another one for free because i had the warranty

Chad Q
on some amps you can take and put your red RCA in the red RCA input, and then take the white RCA and put it in the White RCA output...on some amps that really increases the output

dooger k
Bridging does make a difference, it lowers ohms and basically doubles the power going out on 2 subs the only thing is if you bridge the 2 subs it will overheat in a matter of minutes, depending on the quality of the amp and output power. it will sound great for those few minutes though

Anonymous
i did some research because i wanted to do the same thing. you can only do it if your amp is 2 ohm stable, if it is than bridge the subs in parallel, when it is done that way you lower the ohms by dividing the number of ohms the subs are by the number of subs. 4/2=2 ohm

info- man
ive read all of your posts and there funny but i agree with that guy who said u need a bigger battery ... my friends dad is a electronics geneous and he said u can only get a certain number of watts depending on the battery no matter how good the amp is... either way theres no point in bridging it either as other people said its too unstable the subs were made at 4ohms and 4ohms for a reason ... usually the manufactueres know that there doing

MECP-FirstClass
This place is starting to collect goobers like Yahoo message boards do...

"Can anyone tell me how to bridge 2 subwoofers to a 2 channel amplifier?"
-Not needed, 2 speakers with two powered channels. Don't make it more complex than it has to be...not yet anyway.

"switch Pos to Neg and Neg to Pos"
-This is what we call out of phase. This is not desirable.

Adam, Derek...thank you for being adult and answering his question.

"You're all wrong!! HA! Anyone with an ounce of sense in them knows that there is no such thing as bridging subs to make them more powerful! This is actually an ancient greek myth that has been unsuccesfully tested over the years. If you really want to add more power to your system, you're going to need to get a large car battery and some wire connectors. With this, you can hook each of your subs to one of the terminals on the battery, and then, to each other between the leftover terminals. Trust me on this one, it makes your music sound superb!!"
-This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

"your subs will hit out of phase and they will more than likely blow"
-out of phase speakers do not blow, one goes up while the other goes down and they cancel out each other's sound.

"they do ive doine it before to blow a sub so i could take it back to best buy and get another one for free because i had the warranty"
-Thank you for cheating the system and making all of us pay more for our next set of speakers. We really appreciate it.

"i agree with that guy who said u need a bigger battery ... my friends dad is a electronics geneous and he said u can only get a certain number of watts depending on the battery.."
-FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME, BATTERIES ARE FOR STARTING YOUR ENGINE, NOT POWERING YOUR SYSTEM.

Know what's sad...some people actually come here looking for help and accurate answers. What they get 9 times in 10 is some 12-year old spitting out random terms that make no sense *cough* Jonathan *cough*. If you don't KNOW the answer, don't bother replying because all you do is make yourself look stupid.

Incubus
OK to brige two subs you take both positives from both subs and put them togather then do the same with the negitives.

Then you take the pos and hook it to the up positive on one side of your amp....then take the neg and hook it up on the other side.

Most amps have instruction on what channel you should put you + and what channel to put you -.

Remember if you brige 2 4ohm subs this will drop your load to 2 ohms. In this case you will need an amp that is 2Ohm stable.

But if you are running 2 8ohm subs you can have a amp which is 4ohm stable.

TO figure this out you just divied the Independance (ex. 4ohms) by the number of subs you are using.

ex. 4 (independance) /2 (number of subs) = 2ohms

INCUBUS
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/ohms_law/ohms_law.htm

this should help

Nat
The only guy in here that makes sense at all is incubus. The rest of you are babbling morons. I'm an installer.

If your 2 subs are 4 ohm Single Voice Coil, then you're out of luck. 2 4 ohm subs can only be wired in parallel, which yields a total impedance of 2 ohms, or in series, which yields a total impedance of 4 ohms. Unless you have an amp that is stable at 2 ohms bridged, (most basic amps aren't), then you won't want to bridge the 2 channels to one channel. Your best bet is hook up each sub to one channel at 4 ohms. You'll get Half of your amp's power.

If your 2 subs are Dual Voice Coil, then good! Most amps can handle 4 ohms bridged. Run your 2 voice coils in series, and then the 2 subs in parallel.

Check out the wiring wizard at rockfordfosgate.com to see what i'm talking about.

Alex
Nat, you sure you're an installer? 2 4-ohm subs in series would make 8 ohms, not 4.

let the blood spill
nats right, if u wire 2 dvc subs in parallel, and in series u will come up with 4 ohms at the amp. only with 4 ohm dvcs though

BIG TYMES
Alex an let the blood spill you both are wrong,take for instance a mmats amp the they differ in ohms so but the watts are the same you to should start making mmats amps selling them out your trunk Derek knows more about car stereo
than all of you.Alex and Blood don't give up your day jobs at the kitchen and leave the car stereos
to DEREK AND BIG TYMES

GO DEREK

I'm not sure I want to start another arguement, but I have a simple question. I have a bazooka (yeah I know, but I don't have much room!) 100w sub tube and I need to make use of a 13 year old Alphasonik 2030 or 2050 amp. (I have both) whats the best way to do this?

Joe
You are all wankers

Anonymous
Here is what I did.

I have a Boss Chaos C450 600W Amp 2 Ch And 2 Kenwood Tornadoes(600W max peak). I tried Parallel Bridging, and that failed miserably.

So, instead, I did Series, AND THAT WORKED GREAT.

if you wanna know more, just get intouch with me on MSN. phebotis@hotmail.com

Later

chivas
ALL OF YOU EXCEPT NAT ARE CRAZY!!

the only way you can get a 4 ohm impedence out of 2 subs is if they are dual 4 ohm speakers...wiring the voice coils in series doubles the impedence (4 x 2 = 8) then wiring the subs in parallel cuts it in half (8/2=4)...and voila!! you have a 4 ohm impedence that you can bridge to any amp that is only 4 ohm stable in bridged mode

chivas

kccampro
Can someone confirm the wiring to bridge an alpine 4-channel amp to 2 channels? I'm using this amp to run just my front components. Thanks

Julian
can everybody stop guessing how it works? this is stup[id, only half the people here actually know what they're talking about.

so here is the final and working thing of how it works.

incubus is totally right with what he said about the impedance and stuff if you have single voice coil subs.

If you have two dual voice coil subs all you need to do is treat each voice coil as if it were a seperate speaker.

eg. 2 dual voice coil subs at 4ohm each plugged in parallel will make the impedance 1ohm all up, if this is what you have you will need to plug them in series. To work out the impedance for series you add the impedance so 2 dual voice coil subs at 4ohm each in series will make your impedance 16ohm (this is bad) If this is the case don't bridge your channels, just connect one sub in parallel for the left channel and the other in parallel for the right channel.,

This will mean you have 2ohm at each channel with a seperate sub for each.

Julian
if you have 2 single voice coil subs then it'll be much simpler than that, just connect the positives to positives and negatives to negatives of the amplifier channels. Plug the connected positives to the positive on one sub, connect the negative from that sub to the negative of the other sub. Then connect the connected negatives from the amp to the negative of the second sub and connect the negative of that sub to the negative of the other sub.

if used with two 250watt channels you will end up with 500watts max input into both subs at 2ohm resistance.

now don't get too worried about how much impedance the amp takes or how much the subs make.

the majority of amps take between 2 and 16ohm and the majority of subs produce 4ohm per voice coil.

Josh
I have a question. On FirstClass (BBS) how do you give yourself a username and password and what do you use for a server? This is only for Oxford Hills!!!

double E
well, I'm an electrical engineer, and I'd say just don't bridge um, put um on separate leads. Bridging them is useless, but if you did, do it in parallel; and what the hell is a brige

zacdavis
your not an electrical car audio engineer, if you were then you would now that too low of impedances can be fatal to an amp. let this thread die, later

zani
Unregistered guest
help, I have an 18 inch jl sub and two 12 inch rockford HE and a 2000 watts 2 channel lanzar amp. The amp is 2 ohm stable. It pushes 500rms x 2 at 4 ohms, and 800watts x 2 at 2 ohms. Is it proper to connect the 18 inch jl to one channel which means it will be getting 500rms, and bridge the other two subs in a parallel mode and connect them to the other channel which is going to give them 800 watts at 2 ohms. If you have any other ideas please let me know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us