What do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4778
alright I am trying to figure out what I want to do in my truck for my new system. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5835692832%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26 that is what I am going to do for my new box. I am not buying that but just to give you an idea as to where it is going. It will be between my front two seats under the center console. I am removing te front middle seat. OK I have a JL 12w6v2, a avalanche 12, a soundstream reference 12, or a brahma mark II 15. I am pretty sure I am not going to run the brahma its just to big for what I want to do so its between the other 3. these are my dimensions to work with. 15.5(h) x 21(w) x 12(d) it comes to about 2.25 cu/ft before displacement, those can be played around a little also. I don't know wether I want to go sealed downfiring or ported with downfiring sub, and port forward. I have a ppi a600 and 2 orion hcca 250 g4's to work with but if I have to I would sell one of the orion's and pick up a 1000/1 or arc audio 1500xxk. I dont know wether I want to go with one of the systems I already have or go with a ID max 12:-) help me decide this guys!

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1151
well no matter which one you choose its gonna have excellent sq, so i'd probally go with a idmax ported, so thats my opinion.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4779
if I went sealed 1.5 I could run any of the 12's, and ported 1.75-2.0 I could run any of them I just dont know which I want to do.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4491
james by gut instinct here the way you talked about how you liked your avalanch in the past id say use that but realize that also gives you the opurtunity to try the sound stream if you like even if one is better ported and one is better sealed if you plan ahead you can have your cake and eat it too trying out both 12's in one box

Gold Member

Post Number: 4492
heck for that matter you could plan ahead for the 15 also with that box....try all 3 in car

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4780
yeah your right, I think I am going to go 2.0 cu/ft tuned to 28hz and run both of them and see what sounds the best. Thanks Sean:-)I don't want ot run the brahma because of the size of the box, and the power it needs, not to mention the ava has better SQ anyway. I would rather run a ID max if I am going to get a new mono amp.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4781
I have been dying to run that soundstream reference 12 I used to have those subs and they are FANTASTIC:-) 250 rms and small enclosure to really get some serious SQL out of them:-) I was lucky to find one on ebay about a year ago brand new that I have been holding onto for the right time. maybe nows the right time:-)

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1154
don't mean to hijack your thread, but james have you heard the aa atlas, if you have i was just wondering how would rank the sq of them to other high sq subs, cause the best sq sub i ever heard was a w7 but it was in a demo room and i thought the atlas has better low end sq but the w7 wins in the upper hz, so i want to get some1's opinion that has heard other top sq subs.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4784
yup I have a atlas 15:-) The SQ is great:-) a little better then the ava but lacking the SPL of the ava. The atlas is designed as a SQ sub nothing else. It ranks up there with many top contenders, including the w7 in SQ.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1155
cool, my atlas's have great sq, except for upper hz like really fast kick bass it gets a little muddy, but still better than most other subs i heard, and it got fairly loud for only 300watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4493
glad to be of service James :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4494
dusatin maybe you should add something for the upper bass and demo them somewhere with the music that has the fast bass try to bring various cd's with you to make sure your getting what you want

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4790
much appreciated Sean as usual:-) Hey Dustin what type of enclosure do you have them in sounds like it might be to big from what you say.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4496
actually your right James ive listened to subs in large enclosures and small and the smaller ones generally have a much better tone and seem to help the upper bass ...when you go large the low end tends to get boosted at the expense of the upper bass and it does seem to affect upper bass accuracy

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1158
my box is 2.5cf sealed, before sub displacement, and it was being powered with a kx200.2 so it was recieving about 250watts, jonathan said that all xbl2 subs get muddy above 60hz so he said i should cross them over lower and get some strong mid range speakers.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4793
he is right they are that way because of the mass of there cones. The atlas tends to be better in the higher freq then most of the other XBL subs. 2.5 is good with that power. You could try going down to 2.0 by adding a dictionary or a solid mass to the inside of your box to see if the upper hz response increases any.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4498
that was my suggestion also

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1160
what if i gave them more power, cause i hope to get a RE 12.1 amp which 700watts@2ohm so that would be about 350watts to each sub, so do think it would help if i had it at 2cf instead of 2.5cf.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4798
yeah it should really increase your upper transient response.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1161
cool thanks for all your help james/sean, i hope i have the money around for the RE amp by the end of feb. so i'll finally have my system complete the way i want it.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4806
no prob man:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4502
dustin doubling your power only increases your spl by 3 db and keep in mind your electrical system too if your making a big leap in power....that might not be the way you want to go

Gold Member

Post Number: 4503
if your just looking for a sq refinement id say you probably dont need a new amp

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1162
well right now i only have enough power for one, with my kx200.2, so with the re12.1 i can power both of them. and i think my electrical system will be fine, cause i have a 95amp alt. and i will only be drawing about 65-75amps with my new amp.

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1163
mabei it will bump this time.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4807
so you want to run 2-atlas 15's dustin?

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1164
well i have 2 of them so i figured i would use both of them.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4811
nice!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5553
"my box is 2.5cf sealed, before sub displacement, and it was being powered with a kx200.2 so it was recieving about 250watts, jonathan said that all xbl2 subs get muddy above 60hz so he said i should cross them over lower and get some strong mid range speakers."

Keep in mind it isn't XBL^2 that causes it. Don't want that to be a misconception. It's primarily the cone/suspension of the subs, but pretty much everyone I've talked to agreed with me on their midbass transition (or lack thereof). The main reason they are so heavy is so that they can get a low Fs.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 874
I just ordered 2 of those Arsenals from AA. Are they supposed to be on par with the W7 etc. SQ wise while being like an avalanche SPL wise? From what I have heard it is. Chad said that it has all the low end SQ and SPL of an avalanche but due to the cone being made out of paper and kevlar, the high end response is just as good SQ wise and SPL wise as pure SQ subs. Anyone heard different?

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1167
one more question, when i build my boxes should i double up on the front baffle, or would it be ok to just use a single piece of wood.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4813
I doubled up mine for my avalanche and ran the atlas in the same box to test it out. I dont think you need to but it wold never hurt ya know!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us