HELP - installation recieving NO power

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 473
over the past 2-3 days me and my pop have been attempting to install my new infinty kappa comps off a kicker 150.2 and my new RE SE 15" to my JBL 600.1 - after hooking everything up to what i believed to be perfect, neither amps were recieving any power. we double checked EVERYTHING and couldnt find anything out of order... heres my install

from my battery i have 1/0g wire into a fuse holder w/ 120amp fuse. from this fuse i have 1/0g wire going into a D-block. out of the d-block comes 4g wire (for the JBL) and 8g wire (for the kicker). both the 4g and 8g wire enter their own seperate fuse holders, with a 80amp fuse for the 4g and a 50amp fuse for the 8g. these power wires continute out of their fuses and run into my car and down the panels to the ext. cab portion of my ranger.

from my HU i have 2 sets of RCA's, one for my sub and one for my components. i have the remote wires spliced together from both RCA's to the HU's remote wire. the RCAs/remotes run down the opposite side of the car as the power back to the ext. cab portion of my truck.

my door components/tweeters have seperate wires on each side of the car running to back of my ext. cab where i have the 2 external X-overs placed on my amp rack.

ive checked every connection numerous times.. ive read on BCAE1.com how to hook up 2 amps for 2 different things (subs/components) and everything seems to be in order... please, any help would be great on what might be the problem. ill continue trouble shooting tomorrow. im bummed as hell right now

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 592
do u have the remote wire hooked up right.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1296
use a test light and make sure you have power at the amps off main power wire, then with car on make sure you have power at the remote wire.(all this is done at the amp).

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 474
does it sound like the remote is hooked up right? from the back of the HU, the RCAs i have are from knukonceptz and have the remote in the middle of them. i took the blue/white remote from my headunit and twisted it together with both RCA remotes then electrical tape plus one of those caps (not sure what they are called) that connect wires when you twist. they were deffinitly hooked up together. at the amps they were screwed in properly.

i am wondering, do i even need a d-block? i read last night on a different page of BCAE1.com that if you ONLY plan to use 2 amps, you can just hook each one up individualy to the battery as if the other wasnt there. i do not plan on running anything different in my car for a long, long time (at least not more than 2 amps) so i think i might just try running each power wire to the battery with its own fuse and take out the 1/0g wire + d-block.

does the setup sound like it has been installed correctly? i have checked each fuse, none are blown. i have very good grounding. this is just mind boggeling because everything looks textbook and we took our time installing to make sure it was done correctly. any more ideas would be great. thanks everyone

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 475
does it sound like the remote is hooked up right? from the back of the HU, the RCAs i have are from knukonceptz and have the remote in the middle of them. i took the blue/white remote from my headunit and twisted it together with both RCA remotes then electrical tape plus one of those caps (not sure what they are called) that connect wires when you twist. they were deffinitly hooked up together. at the amps they were screwed in properly.

i am wondering, do i even need a d-block? i read last night on a different page of BCAE1.com that if you ONLY plan to use 2 amps, you can just hook each one up individualy to the battery as if the other wasnt there. i do not plan on running anything different in my car for a long, long time (at least not more than 2 amps) so i think i might just try running each power wire to the battery with its own fuse and take out the 1/0g wire + d-block.

does the setup sound like it has been installed correctly? i have checked each fuse, none are blown. i have very good grounding. this is just mind boggeling because everything looks textbook and we took our time installing to make sure it was done correctly. any more ideas would be great. thanks everyone

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 784
Don't go changing things until you know what you've got or you won't get any further. Do the tests like ty said. Power, remote, and ground are the basic necessities, so see if you have them before you do anything else.
You can hook them up individually, but it really doesn't make that much difference, especially with the small amps you're using. You went a little overboard with the 1/0 gauge wire, but that'll provide you with not having to run that huge stuff again if you want to upgrade.

Travis LaMance
Unregistered guest
could it be that the remote lead isn't providing enough for both amps, in which case a relay would be needed? I'm no expert, just throwing that out there...

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 476
"use a test light and make sure you have power at the amps off main power wire, then with car on make sure you have power at the remote wire.(all this is done at the amp)."

i dont exactly understand what you mean by a test light. how do i check to see if there is power at the remote and power off the main power wire?

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 477
got everything working =) must of been a bad remote. just took some extra speaker wire and routed it to the back then spliced it into the 2 amps, works perfectly. now i have another question.

what do you guys think i should set everything too? i know i should tune it to my own ears, but when i cut the bass (turn SUBWOOFER off on my Alpine-9827) the new components sound mainly like highs. i dont hear the mids that well. on my kicker 150.2 i have the gain set to 4 out of 11, the hz is at 50-60 on HPF is on, and the bass boost is only slightly up. on my HU i have the bass to -7 100hz, treble to +6 125hz, subwooder to +3. on the JBL amp i have the gain mathced pretty well, the HZ around 50-60hz, and the bass boost is up maybe 1/2 way. can you lead me int he right direction to get more mids out of the new comps?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4792
x over your mids at 80-100hz and your subs at 80-100hz as well. turn your bass on your HU to 0 and your treble to 0 then set your amps with your bass boost on the amps set to 0 also. once you have set them then you can mess around with them. You never want your bass to -7 thats why you are severly lacking the mid bass that you were talking about and high in treble with that +6 setting.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 478
hey james. there are 2 settings on the alpine deck. one is 'bass' and one is strickly 'subwoofer' it seems that the 'subwoofer' is just for my sub, and that the 'bass' is just for the comps/speakers. problem is, when i do put the 'bass' level to 0, it puts out alot more power on the sub as well. is that normal? ill turn the bass boost down on my sub amp as well as my comp amp. to my ear i think i like the highs a little high, thats why i had the treble to +5 with the tweeter boost to +3 on the xover. ill mess around more with it 2morrow. but the SQ of the 15" SE is superb. you mentioned the subs should be set at 80-100hz, thats just for the HU correct? on the amp i have the freq around 50-60 (guessing) because i want the lows freqs to stay clean. thanks in advance =) pics will be up soon

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 593
i knew it would be the remote wire lol.well have fun with your system.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 480
haha ya you were on the money
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us