Releasing clutch causes pop sound from all speakers

Jan Meyer
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have recently installed my sounds system into a Subaru Forester GT. It has cruise control which is connected to the clutch pedal so when you press the pedal the cruise control kicks out.
Every time I release the clutch I get a pop sound coming out of ALL my speakers. My setup is as follows:
Alpine HU connected to power, ignition, ground, antenna and 1 pair of RCA's coming from the front to a Boston Acoustics GT-28 amp. The amp is then running to a pair of crossovers for my Boston Acoustics Z6 splits. The amplifier is grounded in the middle of the car on the bolt that holds the back seat in place (I moved it in an attemp to fix the problem, the other point I tried was on a screw at the read lights).

The power wire is running on the opposite side of the RCA's and I don't think the HU or the RCA's are involved as the popping is still there if I disconnect the RCA's from the amp.

My first thought was that the cruise control is sending a charge through it's ground wire into the body of the car which is being picked up by my amps ground and causes the pop. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone had this problem before? Solutions please? I'm stumped...

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 770
Are you sure there aren't wires running behind your clutch and when you push it in, you are squishing the wires and causing one of them, that are potentially exposed, to touch metal?

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 830
Change your amp ground. Also make sure you have a good ground to chasis "big 3".

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4731
I would think it would be more on the lines of what Jake said not the amp ground.

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 30
Check all the gounds, wire proximities to the pedal and lastly check the clutch switch. Polo..

Jan Meyer
Unregistered guest
I'm 100% sure I do not have any wires behind the clutch. It's not when I press it in, but when I release it, right at very top. This is also when the cruise control connection is closed again... I'll try and change the amp ground this weekend. Make sure it has a really good connection, because at the moment the connection is through the thread of a thickish screw, not the best ground.

Username: Atfdmike

Michigan

Post Number: 2
I am not familiar with the cruise disconnect switch, but they are usually no more than a normally closed switch that opens when the clutch is depressed. As such, they are pretty rudimentary, and it sounds like some arcing may be generating the pop.....the ground somewhere may need to be looked at, perhaps more chassis to body ground, or battery to body. Just a thought.

Username: Atfdmike

Michigan

Post Number: 3
You might also see if another cruise switch is used on the brake pedal, and if there, where it is grounded. It could be a different design as well, either mechanical or somewhere else in the vehicle, in which case might even indicate that it is the cruise disconnect switch on the clutch pedal that is the culprit. Still thinking.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 790
Might be interference from that cruise switch. So try ground, and try moving your signal wiring and see if that helps.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 850
like I said, move the ground.
if the ground is not correct, you introduce noise.

Fyi: the car ecm or body control module can use any switch for more than one purpose! The BCM controls the cruise, clutch and everything elese. =D

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us