My car shouts off when i play my system

Username: Mrknowitall

Post Number: 2
hey everyone, i have 2 12" audiopipe subs along with an 1100 wat amp and a 400 watt audiobhan amp, but when i play it my car shuts off, my friend mentioned somethng about getting a shock cap for $300 but that seems rather expensive... any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1189
Your CAR shuts off? That's bad...

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 225
your alternator must suck azz!

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 493
the cap will only make it worse. it sounds like you need a new battery and alternator. maybe even more than that....

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 887
yep.. your amps are drawing so much power from your alternator, that the power your car needs to function (ignition in this case) is not there so it shuts off.. look into a higher amperage alternator, and probably a battery

Username: Richie_g

Post Number: 4
all you need is a 1 or 2 farad power cap wired in between your 12 v feed to amp with its own ground, powers the amp when battery cant handle it

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 74
^^^^^ i don't usually laugh at people but thats one of the dumbest statements. A cap is a band aid for a small electrical system not something that will fix it. If his whole car shuts off than the alty is not able to supply enough power to run the system and the car at the same time. A cap is like a spring in a suspension system. Its designed to cushion the bump and then recoil itself so it can cushion the car for the next bump. And a cap doesn't power anything. It quickly discharges its electrical reserve to help when the amp is drawing a heavy dose of power but it can't maintain a constant discharge like a battery cause its not a battery it is made of cardboard and some filters.

You need a larger alternator before you put anything else that will draw away ANY power. Invest in a HO alty or just a larger alty and then do the Big 3.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 894
yes plz do not go out and waste your money on a cap

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 276
fu.ck caps!

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 843
That 300 dollar for a capicator, is your HO alternator right there!
Bellow might help some of you guys. Its from Dominck @ Iraggi Alternators:

I was asked why can a rebuilder or store like Autozone not properly test an alternator..
I figured this would be a good place to post..

Here was the question

Dom
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask your explanation of why it is difficult to test alternators and how one can go about getting one properly tested? I know you're busy with work, but your contributions in the electrical arena could greatly help increase the knowledge base on this forum.

Thanks!

No problem, I would love to answer this question..

Here are the main reasons for each party that tries to test an alternator.

Your hometown rebuilder.

1. They are just that, a rebuilder. They know very little about the ins and outs of an alternator. They just make a broke stock one work again. They also will tell you your crazy when you tell them an alternator can do 200 amps. They dont understand what they dont know.

2. When they do test an alternator,(on their bench), they almost always use small aligator clips to the battery post of the alternator. Probably 8 or 6 gage. Would you connect your 2000 watt amplifier to your battery this way? I dont think so....for obvious reasons.

3.On their bench test, they more than likely will never go over 3500 to 4000 rpm. Dont freak out, this is alternator rpm, not engine rpm. An alternator should spin atleast 3 times faster than your motor. The industry standard for max output is to be tested at 6000 rpm. Approximately 1500-2000 engine rpm. 3500-4000 is just above idle.

4.When a load is applied, it should be gradual. 75% of the test stations that are common to rebuild shops are either on.... or off when it comes to loads. (typically 300 amps) There is no way to ramp up the load presented to the alternator. When you load an alternator with an instantaneous 300 amps, the regulator does not have time to react and the reading will be substantially lower. It also depends on the type of regulator used. Some vehicles must have a time delay type regulator due to the car either being so new or aftermarket not available yet. When you load the alternator down, you keep going until the voltage level falls to that of the battery. Which is typically 13.0-13.5 This way all current being pulled is is being produced by the alternator, not the battery. You then take the current reading off the battery post of the alternator.

Your local "Autozone" or "Advanced"

I have taken my personal vehicle to both of these parts stores just to see why I get so many calls and emails stating "I had my alternator tested and it doesnt work or only does 20 amps". Both companies are improperly trained in how to test your alternator.

1.The first thing they do is roll out their tester and connect it wrong. They put the current clamp on the battery negative. Why they want to know how much current is going through your negative battery terminal is beyond me..... I personally like to know how much current is coming out the alternator OUTPUT terminal...which is the positive one.
While your sitting there at idle, before the test even begins, the tester is telling you how much current is going through the negative battery terminal. This is how much charging current your battery is pulling. They all confuse this with how much current your alternator is doing at idle. You need to first load the alternator down before you can determine how much current your alternator is capable of producing.
Just for example....I have 3-300 amp alternators on my Suburban. They told me I was doing 55 amps at idle and 168 amps max. He did admit tho after seeing under the hood, he didnt really know anything about setups like mine.

I would type more, but I gotta go. If anybody would like some explanation of other issues, let me know.
Hope this post helps.

Thanks, Dominick Iraggi

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 618
"its not a battery it is made of cardboard and some filters."

a capacitor is 2 metal plates seperated by a die electric which could be anything that does not conduct of electricity could even be air but the better the materials the better the capacity

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 844
charlie your correct, but alteraudio is correct also, the simplest form of a capictor is" made of cardboard and some filters". But yes a capictior is 2 metal plates seperated by a dielectric material.

Silver Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 621
oh i no i was just going more in depth to what he said trust me i will give in he knows a hell of a lot more than me in car audio but i prob no more in capacitors and such since thats what i'm going to school for

Silver Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 622
bump since it didnt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us