Ohms

Bronze Member
Username: Dklotusjuggalo

Post Number: 46
Ok, so I just learned that I can run my 12" at 1 ohm because it has dual voice coils 2 ohm. I'll probably be running it (one sub) with a 300 rms amp (the sub is rated to 400 rms), but most amps i look at are 2 ohm stable. So if i run it, will it fry the amp? I found a few amps that are 1 ohm stable, but they are out of my price range. What are my options to get the most out of my sub? (Kicker cvr 12")

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 749
most mono amps are 1 ohm stable

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Ok, so if all it tells me is the 2 ohm limit, do I divide that in half to guess how much the amp will put out for the 1 ohm load?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
So if I run this amp to the sub I mentioned above, should I run my sub as a 2 ohm or 1 ohm load?

When it comes out of the box, should the sub already be set for a 2 ohm load?
http://cgi.ebay.com/PROFILE-AP700M-MONO-700W-CALIFORNIA-SERIES-AMPLIFIER_W0QQite mZ5859160855QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Or should i check this out? It's refurbished though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cadence-Z1000-mono-block-amplifier-800W-Watts_W0QQitemZ58573 55613QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Post Number: 750
well...if you wanna run your sub at 1 ohm...(which you will b.c. its that or 4 ohms)..then the amp must say one ohm stable.

maybe your lookin at 2 channel amps...
make sure your looking at 1 channel..mono amps
it must be stable at 1 ohm tho..which most are

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
your sub doesnt come in any specific way

what i would try to do is get a 1 ohm stable mono amp that plays 400 watts RMS @ 1 ohm

or if u can find an amp that does 400 watts at 4 ohms..

you sub can only do 1 or 4 ohms...running it at 1 ohm wil generaly give u more power for you money..bc amps put out more power with lower ohms

those two amps u posted are not that great of brands...try kicker...or alpine..if u dont want to spend too much money

Silver Member

Post Number: 752
your sub doesnt come in any specific way

what i mean by that is...its not 1 ohm or 4 ohms

u gotta wire it to what u want

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=1+woofer&WoofImp= Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=23&image.y=11&image=Submit

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Ok, so I can't have it in the middle. Well every 1 ohm stable amp I see is out of my league as far as price. I can only spend about 100 bucks for the amp. I'd rather have 2 ohm than 4 ohm right? So then instead of running that sub at 4 ohm, I should get one with dual 4 ohm voice coils so I can run it at 2 ohms right? As long as it's still 400RMS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Then I can run an amp that's up to 400RMS at 2 ohms, right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
yea if the sub is 4 ohm dual voice coils you can run it at 2 ohms

but if u already have the sub...just find an amp that will do 400 watts at 1 ohm...just keep looking bc you could easily get one for under 100.....

it may be harder to find and amp that does 400 RMS at 1 ohm...but they make them..its just many companies have alot more powerful amps..

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
hey you are right...most of those amps your looking at are not 1 ohm stable..ive never really looked around for amps with 400 RMS..im always lookin the the 1000 RMS range...so thats my fault

but..if u want to get a new sub..and u already have the dual 2 ohm version...just get another dual 2 ohm version..so then you can run both subs at 2 ohms together

or if u just want 1 sub..get the dual 4 ohm version and run it at 2 ohms

but u can run the one u have at 4 ohms...it will just be a little more expensive for the amp to get 400RMS...but then...u dont need to buy a new sub...

so if i was you...if keep my sub..run it at 4 ohms...spend the extra 50$ for an amp...may not even be that much..and then overall you will save b/c you dont need a new sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 755
http://ecoustics.shopping.com/xPF-MA_Audio_MA_Audio_M1889I

http://ecoustics.shopping.com/xPF-Jensen_Jensen_JPA1300M_AMP_MONO_650W

1st one would be perfect

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
No I don't have the sub yet so I'm gonna go with the dual 4 ohm. Thanks a lot, I'm glad I didn't buy everything thinking all that matters is RMS. So what do you think of these too? Am I thinking right for that sub? (12" 400RMS dual 4 ohm vc)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5859160855&viewitem=%26&s spagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5858331656&viewitem=%26&s spagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1241
Ive told you this before you can get the directed 750d for the dual 2 for $79 and be ok on that sub. you were wanting that Audiobahn 15 right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
I was actually thinking about a kicker because everyone said that's better than audiobahn, what do you think? Also, I forgot about that amp because I was looking for an amp that handled a 1 ohm load. I've been told less ohms is better, so I was gonna get the 2 ohm dvc for a 1 ohm load. However, I had a lot of trouble finding a 1 ohm stable amp in my price range. So rather than run that sub at 4 ohm, I decided to get a 4 ohm dvc and run it as a 2 ohm load.

Now that I've gone back to a sub rated 4 ohm/2 ohm, my amp options have opened up. I was still gonna get a 12", but I forgot about that 15".

So should I get the audiobahn 15 (500 rms) or the kicker 12 (400 rms)? Are the brands different or similar enough that I should go for the audiobahn?
That amp you suggested would handle either one, right?

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Oh and I don't know how much this matters, but the audiobahn comes w/a vented box, while the kicker comes with a sealed box. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 15
What is a Juggalo? He's a dead body, but he's not quite dead. He's not like anybody you've ever met before, he'll eat Monopoly and shiit out Connect4.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Hell yeah, what up ninja?!
"All painted up carrying an axe and sh!t,
Juggalo love got each other's backs and sh!t"

Oh, if I don't match the rms watts exactly, should I go a little over what the speaker says or under? I've heard you can damage a sub by underpowering it too...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us