System gona cost more then car lol

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

ND USA

Post Number: 273
lol im finally getting my car its a 1978 Cutlass Supreme its gona cost about $1200 so im not gona get any money for my sistem :-( it even has the original am radio and eight track in it that still work and its a nice car with only 101k miles on it and i get a cd player for an early b-day present so i gotta decide on that its eather gona be alpine or pioneer i believe.... but im not takin out the eight track im hoping to find some sort of bracked or something so i can mount it underneath and from what i figured my system is gona come up to like $1800 or so $400 for the subs $350 for the amp for the subs $500 for the components and prolly somewere like $500-$600 for the amp for those not quite sure i jus find it a lil funny and in the end its all good

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1108
what are you getting ?

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1109
or have you not decided yet ?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5507
You could save money by getting a 4 channel amp that does around 150x4, then bridging the rear channels for subs. That would give you 600 watts RMS off the rear bridged channel for subs and 150x2 for components. Plenty of power for a system. Kicker has options in that power range. It would save space and wiring as well.

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 274
what do u mean Casey? for a headunit? i havnt decided yet i have brought it down to these 4 what do u think? here are the 2 pioneers...

Pioneer DEH-P6800
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-udv2h3t4mR5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP680

Pioneer DEH-4800 im not so fond of the looks of this one http://www.crutchfield.com/S-udv2h3t4mR5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP480

then we get to the Alpines.... Alpine CDA-9847 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kcGwUJQN6TZ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=features_ and_specs&i=500CDA9847#Tab

Alpine DEH-9851 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-udv2h3t4mR5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=500CDA9851

im looking for a head unit that has preamp outputs, sub outputs, but most importantly wireless remote and aux input and possibly around $200

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1145
personally i like pioneers better

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 275
as a personal choice what is better not going on looks at all what is better mechanically?

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 646
the pioneer premier are really good hu's

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 276
so u say the pioneers would be a better choice then the alpines?

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 126
alpine's are pricey thats all but the premier's are very nice HU
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SCI3EgpfMdb/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=500CDA9853

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 400
No way that the 78 only has 101k, you sure its not 201k miles

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 401
As for the cost being more then the car, it really isnt a big deal.. some guys even get little piece of crap old regals an only pay 500 hundred for the car then slap a 300 buck paint job on um then put 2000 or 2500 dollars worth of rims an tires on um then even put atleast a 8 hundred dollar system in um

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 402
An the sad thing about putting the rims on um is that they dont ever change the Rotors or Drums or calipers to somthing nice so when you look at the rims then look past the chrome an bling you see nasty old Rusty Rotors or Old Rusty Drums an Dirty worn out Calipers with cracked dirty nasty brake fluid hoses

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 403
then you get in the car an it has a sagging Headliner an if the idiots didnt buy seat covers you have to sit on gross torn up stained seats, its just really sad some times but dont worry about the system costing more then the car cuz i assure you that there are stupid mojos out there with 5000 bucks worth of crap on there cars that have 300k miles or more on them an only cost them 500 bucks to began with

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 463
yea that happens alot in miami ... box chevys wit 24's and a fading green or orange paint job and the trunk sounds like a drive by

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 271
the red car is the same kind of car i have...looks weird with 22's all the way round....look closer and see that Brembo Big "rusty" drum kit.....its a prototype lol

http://www.torinocobra.com/guest_htm/travis_johnson.htm my car

I plan on buying 18's and 20's for mine...as for spending more money on a system than i paid for the car i came close to it around 570$Upload
Upload
Upload

check www.eastcoastryders.com

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 201
(Quote)You could save money by getting a 4 channel amp that does around 150x4, then bridging the rear channels for subs. That would give you 600 watts RMS off the rear bridged channel for subs and 150x2 for components. Plenty of power for a system. Kicker has options in that power range. It would save space and wiring as well.

No, get a mono/1 channel amp, thats not to smart unless it can handle a big load.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5520
"the red car is the same kind of car i have...looks weird with 22's all the way round....look closer and see that Brembo Big "rusty" drum kit.....its a prototype lol

http://www.torinocobra.com/guest_htm/travis_johnson.htm my car "

Sweet car, I love Torinos. I like 'em in Grabber Orange, flat black hood :-)

I'd get the old hidden headlights and taillights, lose the chin spoiler, probably put some Torq Thrust IIs on it.

What kind of engine does yours have?

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 277
srry andre but tha alpine headunit is a lil to expensive for me (i swore i replied to that earlier!) and yes cadillac it is 101k miles a grandma owned it for about the first 10 years then she gave it to her grand daughter or something and she drove to college for a few years and the past 10 years its ben sitting on blocks so unless they beat the hell out of it the first 15 years of owning it im sure its 101k

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5521
"No, get a mono/1 channel amp, thats not to smart unless it can handle a big load."

What in the living hell are you talking about? Running a bridged channel at 4 ohms is equivalent to running a mono amp at 2 ohms. Only difference is that the 4 channel will be A/B and the mono will likely be Class D.

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 278
but back to the head units what would ya recomend?

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
Hey jonothan wish i could get a set of the hidden headlights...cant afford a decent set and mine is ok for now...anyway as for rims that was what i was gonna do buy a set of torq thrust to expensive...it would cost me like 1400-1500 without tires and they are like three piece wheels with all those ridges i dont like them anymore....i found a company that has good lookin wheel and they are cheap cant wait till i get em www.coyswheel.com C-5 wheels 18x8 and 20x10(gota wait 5wks for those aint out yet)...plus they all have a deep lip regardless of backspacing

as for an engine all original 351 clevland 2v carb noffin fast at all....just a looker

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 279
hey all i got my car today so yea!! im gona try to get pictures on here as soon as possible alonge with the dash and stuff and see what u recomend on how to install a headunit in it... since im not taking out the eight track i wana keep it as good lookin as possible i plan on putting in some sort of device to hold the head unit but im not sure yet maybe you guys can come up with some ideas... but i think u will be impressed with the interior for being 28 years old i cant take them right now cause its night out but tomorow ill get them and what about the head unit guys??

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 280
hey all i got pictures mostly on the area i would like to get the headunit installed at and one of the body of the car so hear u all go....
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

if you can see the little triangular forms underneath the eight track player that is the heater so if i were to put the headunit under there the heater would be blowing directly on the head unit wich isnt a very good thing and i cant put it under the seat there is only about an inch of room under there and im leaving the eight track in there since it still looks so clean if ya want a few more pictures let me know how u want them taken and ill try to get them in today

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Paint that b.itch black. Get some 18 inch rims. U'll be stylin.

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 282
thanks but what about the headunit?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 520
jonathan: yeah and a class a/b would prob sound better too. lol

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 283
any one have some ideas on were to possibly put the headunit?

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
in the glovebox or buy a underdash kit. Do u want to keep the 8track in the car....(i would) put the h/u in the glovebox

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 284
a friend came over n thought of something would the cd player still run fine if it were at an angle? he thought of putting it at like a 45 degree angle just were the ash tray end in the front it would fit just about perfect if i were to build some sort of oak box for it i think it would look good but would the cd player run fine still?

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 285
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XcKzN94ctFG/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=300&s=0&cc=01&hi desimilar=&compareitems=130DEHP480&compareitems=133C5303&compareitems=133C7103&c ompareitems=130DEHP580&compareitems=500CDA9851&compareitems=133C7303&compareitem s=130DEHP680&compareitems=130DEHP80M&removeitems=130DEHP80M

here is a link to my compiar of several haedunits which of them would ya recomend?

Username: Vikingtyty

Post Number: 10
i have the alpine cda-9847 and i like it a lot. i'm not an audio pro or anything though, so i can't really make any recommendations.

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 286
would u know if it would work at an angle properly still?

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
i dont see why it wouldn't. If it has skip protection and a solid foundation inside the h/u it should work fine. But dont take my word. I'm not a pro either. Go to bestbuy and ask a floor helper for a h/u that can be mounted on an angle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
dont ask anybody at bestbuy that dont no sh1t well the one down hear....

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 288
idk about the one in fargo eather thats y im having a friend of my mom's who has a good himself a setup install it

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 289
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us