Alt....

Bronze Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 31
Can an amp burn up your alt. over a period of time? My lights didn't dim and my cd player didn't dim at all, so i wasn't drawing that much off the bat. for it to work to hard.. Alt was only 6 years old... any info..

Username: Goatin

Post Number: 7
I dont know a whole lot about amps but I know a 6 year old alternater pushing full amps is most likely wearing out and a high output alt would make a great replacement.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I'm gettin a 110 amp alt. for 109$ with the core only one i can find in my town better than my stock..

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 372
If you run anything electromechanical near it's limits it's going to wear out faster than one that's never pushed. That's just the way it goes.

I also damaged an alt (75A) after a couple years of running a ~1000w system with it. I upgraded to 110A jy alt and also upgraded the amps to ~1200w. It's been running for a year and a half now with no problems.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Yeah, I put in a 110A alt. today, works awesome, and keeps up with my amp.. bump

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 451
do you think a system drawing 750 total watts at max power (JBL BP600.1 + Kicker KX150.2) on a stock 75amp alt will have problems? I am thinking of ordering a bigger alt but i dont know if it would be a waste or not? Its not like im going to have my system up to volume 35 out of 35 EVER, highest i ever had my old system up was around 26-27 with the same JBL amp..but then again i was also running stock components w/o the Kicker and i now have infinity kappas comps =) I was looking at 150+amps but i doubt ill ever need that much, maybe like 120-130amp alt as an upgrade? what do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 387
No reason to expect catastrophic results with that system. As long as your car is starting every morning I don't think you have much to worry about. If you are considering a system upgrade you may want to prepare for an alt upgrade, but for now I think you're fine.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 453
ya, its about all i need. plus i dont have much room in my car for more w/o alot of custom work lol im an SQ guy so lots of power isnt needed. thanks for the help =)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us