Plz help me! sub box for re sx

Username: Awm44444

USA

Post Number: 7
i was wondering if ne1 else had ne box suggestion for the sx. baseball has already sent me some but im not sure it would fit. im also gonna build 2 boxes, 1 for sq and one for spl. i was wondering if ne1 had ne box plans for an spl box for the sx. im not worried about how it sounds, i just want it to be loud, however, i do want it to hit lows well, too. i want to be able to hit 25- 30 hz very loud and hit 40 hz loud. probly tuned to around 33- 36hz. also, with the right box, will my sx 15 be louder than 2 type r's?

USA

Post Number: 9
and also wut amp would go good with the sx, i wuz gonna get the re12.1 bc it said it had an adjustable subsonic filter, but the lowest i could but it is 40, and i want it to be at something like 20... it needs 2 be one ohm, i want it to hav a remote bass control thing, 1500- 1800ish watts, and not to expensive, i want it 2 b pretty cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1864
for daily....try 4-4.5cuft tuned to 32hz w/ 50-60sq inches of port.

for SPL comps...thats a whole different animal, there are ALOT of things to take into account. first off, what vehicle is this going in?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 17
92 honda accord trunk. do bigger boxes or smaller boxes get more spl?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5217
Who's robby? Only 16 years old?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 18
yeah he was a friend of mine that died in a car crash last sunday. his friend bobby died in the crash, too. it was pretty bad. bobby was 19 and robby wouldve turned 16 in july.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1092
I candesign you a box to fit your needs for $10

Aol name Sploosh56

email Sploosh76@yahoo.com

Let me know if you're interested

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 20
sry wahl, but i need evry bit of money iv got to build the box; but if u could answer a couple of my questions it would help... ne way do smaller or bigger boxes get louder?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 852
bigger boxes will get louder and hit the low notes better as well.. just make sure its withing the manufac. specs.. going bigger also decreases the drivers control and will reduce power handling ( less air for the sub to move - less resistance holding the cone) couple of things to think about

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 21
k thanx. could ne1 send me some box plans? tim@millerprinting.com also, about what would be the best tuning freq? i want it to get very loud, but i also want to hit the lower notes (20- 30hz) also, can i turn an amps subsonic filter off?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 856
you can turn it off.. but you wont want to do that with a ported box.. it will overexcurt and can damage itself... a good tuning freq would be around 32 hz it will give you a decent gain and will still hit the lows

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 857
^ just saw marshal already gave some good info up a bit

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 23
if i tune the box to 32 hz, what should i set the subsonic filter to? as long as i dont play any deep songs it wont hurt it if i hav it off rite? or will it?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 858
it will .. they bottom out quite easily accually .. well that depends.. it can sound like vibration in the vehicle especially with the sub facing the rear.. i would leave it on.. you will want to set it to 30 hz.. might be able to get away with 25.. you will have to listen to it close though and make sure it doesnt if you set it at that

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 25
k and, inside the box, if i were to put dynamat on the inside would it prevent the walls from flexing? and could putting polyfill in a 4.5 cu ft ported box work? i could put chicken wire over the port to keep it from coming out

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 26
o ye... why does it hurt to play notes below the tuned freq in ported enclosures?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 31
also, which would be louder, an sx 15 or 2 type r 12s/15s?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 862
i dont see why you would need polyfill if you made the box the right size.. it might screw up the port tune also dynamat in the box would not stop in from flexing at all.. to keep the box from doing that but interneal bracing.. eitheir a straight piece from one side to the other or u can make pieces that go all around the walls of the box

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 34
the dynamat wouldn't absorb the sound which is what causes the box to flex? what about fiberglass, or resin (whatever that is)?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 864
dynamat does not absorb sound it just ads weight.. when something is vibrating and you put your had on it notice how it stops? that is because you have added weight to it... same idea with dynamat.. bix flexes due to the pressure excurted by the subwoofer moving in and out.. you could beef it up with fibreglass .. would be a big PITA though and a waste of money if u ask me when u could just be using scrap pieces of mdf for bracing

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 36
what does PITA mean? and fiberglass would absorb the sound and convert it into heat energy, right? but bracing it just makes the walls not flex causing the sound to find another way of of the box which would be through the port or through the sub? how could i fiberglass the inside ne way?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 866
huh? PITA is "pain in the a**" i dont see how it would convert sound into heat lol, fibreglassing inside would be even worse... that would be a nightmare .. yes that is what bracing will do less flex the better! more spl more sq.. as long as u have the sub in there secure it wont leak outa there and if its ported its suppose to come out the port

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 39
o ok i wuz just askin that bc i read sumwhere else sumthin about that, but i only hav heard of doing that on that one website so that wuz probly sum guy makin up stuff... so what should i do to brace it?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 867
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures_pages.php?menu=1&page_id=18

go down a bit.. that is the best way to brace.. although its alot of work.. u can use strait pieces of wood from one end to the other as well. it wont be as good but itl still work

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 170
RE suggests settings the subsonic filter to 25hz for the SX15s. Went 7.0^3ft with ports tuned to 28hz here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us