Problem with JL 1000/1

Username: Fathom04

Phenix City, AL USA

Post Number: 7
I took it out of the box this AM. Hooked it up. No sound comes out of the speakers untill i wiggle the power/ground. Then its just a hum. I think its about 30-60 hertz. The speakers even make the sound without the RCA's hooked up.

I know its a defect but i just wanted to know if i can fix it before i go and shell out more cash.

I have a 170 amp alt, with 4g power/ground. The subs are 2 jl w6v2.

Username: Lowemotions

Post Number: 4
if its new you have a warrenty

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 857
double cheack all your connections, both ends (power, ground, rca's and rem), and check your filters on the amp and HU.
if all that checks out fine, try another amp if you can get ahold of one. if it works, then its definally the JL amp. hopefully you have a warranty.

Username: Fathom04

Phenix City, AL USA

Post Number: 8
Sometimes there will be a burst of power...then it goes back to the humming noise. Ive really never seen anything like this :/

I took the amp turn on out. The noise didn't shut off for 5-10 seconds after i unhooked it. I checked the power, ground, rca's and rem and everything seems to be ok.

I also had this checked with one of the top audio shops in this area. They said it was all hooked up correctly and said that the amp was most likely underpowered at one time (probably wasnt new). But... i tend to trust people more on here than i do at audio shops.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 842
it might be a fault in the amp.. i had a jl 500/1 that had a problem with the ground/power connections.. the subs would work if you wiggled the connections .. it was replaced

Silver Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 123
sounds like ur having the same problem as me... sucks man... you expect to get a good product, considering its JL, but really u get something thats crappy... i feel you... i think thats the problem why my amp cuts off at higher volumes... do you have that problem also?...

-if u got it checked out or fixed... how much did it cost or what did u do?...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5509
Did you get it authorized, because this statement:

"I know its a defect but i just wanted to know if i can fix it before i go and shell out more cash."

makes me think you didn't.

Unauthorized retailers burn off the serial numbers so that they can't be tracked, and in turn they often damage the amplifier in the process. This is why JL doesn't warrant this kind of crap.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5510
Unless you bought it used, in which they sold it for a reason.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us