1993 Buick LeSabre Amp install

Username: Aurabolt

Post Number: 1
Hey all, this is my first post here, so please pardon any etiquette I'm breaking (and point it out so I can fix it). I've done some searching, I couldn't quite find the info I'm looking for, so I'm asking for help.

I'm in the process of installing a Stereo/Speakers/Amps into a 1993 Buick LeSabre, and I've run into a snag with the Amp install.

Where is the best place to run the power wire from the engine bay into the cabin? Is there a place I can run it without having to drill? The two places I've found where stock wiring harnesses pass through are "solid", that is, there is some clear plastic like substance between all the wires so I cannot pass the wire through. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point, any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I've gotta get this done before Monday (although driving a car with a torn out dash might be kinda fun...).

Bronze Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 67
just try to follow any wires goin 4um the engin comp. to the inside of the car. if u cant find nothin just drill its easy fast and cheap.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 323
Dan it would be very difficult to drill a hole through that firewall. I know cause I tried.
The best way is to remove the factory stock wiring harness.

NOTE THIS IS ON Passenger side of the engine!

Take the black or clear tape off from around the cover.
NOW: its 2 bolts holding it to the firwall. Look to the edges of the rectangle! after taking those off it should be able to pull off.
NOW u can pass your power wire through there,BUT NOTE. Now u can not screw back the cover cause the wire is in the way! I would just tape around it real good and push everything in there tight. Plus u should have a outer Firewall cover to even protect that. The one that covers the fuses.

But thats the best/easist way Ive figured out.
Ive got 0ga wire in there!

I must add, this firewall is not just a thin peice of sheet metal!!

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys. After tinkering around with it for awhile a solution was had. B, it's close to what you did but just a bit different.

1. Unscrew the pin module going into the passenger cabin.
2. Take a hacksaw and carefully saw off the upper left corner of the module. It goes without saying that you don't want to hit any of the wires or yourself. The plastic is surprisingly easy to cut, compared to its looks.
3. Trim the back part of the pin connecter as well, test and cut until the hole is large enough for the wire to go through.
4. Run the wire through, then screw the pin module back into place.
5. Seal the area around the power wire (I just used some of that black gunk they use on the rest of the harness).

This lets you run the power wire into the cabin without sacrificing (much of) the seal on that connector.

This was done with 4 guage wire. Hope this helps anyone else looking to do this.

Post Number: 3
*EDIT* I should point out that I refer to the upper left corner reletive to your POV. On the connector itself, it would be the upper right corner.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 332
Dan im glad it worked.
I didnt try to cut my module.
But 0ga wire is 2-3 times thicker than 4ga.
So it still may not have worked for me.
Im glad u got power to the back to bump now.
Did u find an easy ground in the trunk?

I grounded mines to the bolt that holds the CLIP to close the trunk. The Plastic edge peice must come off to get to the bolt. But its a damn solid ground.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 335
BUMP..

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4544
he should have used a 0 or even 2G thicker wire while he was @ it 4 future more powerful amp upgrades ......

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 338
i know. he must not have nothing too big, or not planing an upgrade.
whats been up Rovin?
im just catching up on some post, hadnt been home for a few days.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4546
Hey Brent

well my install on the homestretch - right now i'm making lunch , stewed lamb with red beans & rice -lol then i'm going down 2 my back yard & get moving on finishing up .......

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4553
hmmm - thread no bump .......

Post Number: 4
Been busy the last few days. I used the metal brace that goes behind the seat as a ground point, sanded the paint off the bare metal and ran both grounds to that.

Yeah, with 0 AWG cutting the clip might not work so well. For my purposes, 4 guage is plenty. I split it in the trunk into two 8 guage wires. I'm running an Orion HCCA 225 with two Infinity 1025 10" subs in a sealed box, and some no name amp for the cabin speakers (3.5" front and 6.5" rear, Infinity Reference). Loud enough to cause hearing problems, but not exactly competition material.

The real system comes into play when I get my Mustang back on the road :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us