Which amp is better?

Bronze Member
Username: Sexytroca

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 33
ok first off, i know which one sux more but i want to know from wattage calculations which one is better. i have currently two dub1200 on my truck, they are being pushed by a boss chaos 700. the amp is rated at 600x2 at 2ohms, thats wat iam running it at since my subs are dvc. now a friend has the audiobahn A8002t pumping 800 watts. his system is 800 watts and mine is 1200 according to the amp bucklet and his sounds way lowder. now i can easily afford that amp so will it be better for my system to use that amp or the boss amp. i know boss sux but in real wattage will the audiobahn;s 800 watts be louder than the boss's 1200watts. tanx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
plez someone help, need advice before i buy.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 492
yes the audiobahn amps are not too bad they put out their true power. so that amp is probably making more power than your boss amp. so if the ohms match up i would definately go for that amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Do_em_dirty816

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 12
i wouldnt go with neither of those amps... go w/ either a kicker 1200.1 (they under rate their amps), a hifonics bx1605d (replaced the bx1505d), or even a JBL GTO1201.1. Personally my two favorites are the kicker and jbl obviously cuz they're highly preferred amps...But to me you cant go wrong with hifonics (I own the hifonics bx1205d and LOVE IT) and I think that would be your best match as of watts also for $245 shipped its good power for the price!!! Did I mention I think you can wire two 2ohm dvc subs into parallel to get a 1ohm load (correct me if im wrong)

PS: Also look into the HIFONICS GENERATION XX ZEUS 1600 WATT AMP...Man so much hifonics and I cant get enough of it!!! lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
but how will 800 watts compare to 1200 watts, i would imagine for such high numbers even if the boss is off its real wattage it cant be by that much

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
ok so u can better understand me, i have to power two 12inch dub1200, they are rated at 700 rms and 1400 peak power, they are dual 4 ohm voice coil, i need something that can give them 700 watts each or something close to that, tanx for all ur help guys.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 15
acctually it can because you're not gonna get a 1200 watt amp under $100 usually not even in the $100 range. For a GOOD not DECENT but GOOD 1200 watt amp your lookin to pay from the upper 3's to higher 6's....we can start with your budget...To tell you the truth I wouldnt be surprised if that boss amp is under 600 watts...lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
yeah, thats wat i thought but i didnt want to make another decision that i would later regret, but my budget is kinda low, im looking at paying school and shyt, plus ive bought plenty of systems in the past so parents are pissed at my spending. i would go 200 bucks if needed but no more than 275

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 16
the HIFONICS BRUTUS BX-1605D is a solid amp and that should blow your friends audiobahn amp...i would go with hifonics over audiobahn any day... Heres a link for that amp $245 shipped is the best price youll find on a 1600 watt amp at least a solid one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2005-HIFONICS-1600watt-MONO-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFI ER-AMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38638QQitemZ8026555562QQrdZ1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
ok i looked at the hifonics but it seems like it gives the wattage i need at 2 ohms adn my subs are dvc with 4 ohms per coil so the lowest load i can get is 4ohms into one channel, also how do u bridge a mono channel amp?

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 17
so you have two 8ohm subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
uhh no i dont think so? my subs are dual 4ohm voice coils, but their two. i have eached wired to 2 ohms. but using two will make a 4ohm load, would it not? t anx for ur help by the way.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 18
on your subs specs it says that your subs are dual 4 ohm

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 19
it wouldnt be 8 ohm it would 4 since theres two voice coils they are 2 ohms each = 4ohms. you can get a 1ohm load by wiring them in parallel. Got me ask me if you need to know what parallel is?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
yea, can i get a two ohm load out of both on a single channel amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
ok i know all that stuff i spent endless hours reading stuff peps recommended from here. but 1 ohm is too low cause then i have to deal with cap, adn alternators. im sure i cant get a two ohm load out of my subs and thats wat i need for that amp, i wanna avoid 1 ohm loads.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 20
Here lets start all over...I made a mistake on my last post...You were right your subs hvae two 4ohm voice coils and to get it into a 1 ohm load look at this diagram...http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2

PS: Sorry bout the screw up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
thats ok, but again i dont want to deal with power shortages for ma 1 ohm load, i know i cant get a 2 ohm load from my subs but thats wat i need for that amp. thats y i was having such a hard time finding an amp. i need one that can do 12watt x 1 at 4 ohms or 600x2 at 2 ohms

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 21
i c...did u look at that diagram...also i still recommend that amp...or you can spend a little more arround $322 and get the 2000watt amp that will give you 1300watts at a 2ohm load...that diagram will help you out...

PS: Sorry for the screw up also the first hifonics amp will ony give you 1100 watts at a 2ohm load but i still think that would push those subs...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
ok...aww im getting confused, ok i have two subs wired at 2 ohms each i cant get a 2 ohm load out of both of them unless the amp is two channel so i can wire it in parallel. for a single channel amp i would need one that would give 1200watts at 4ohms. and yes i saw the diagrams, tanx those are definetly bookmarked. so im lookinng for wattage into a 4ohm load from a single channel or 2 ohm load out of a two channel. got any ideas, tanx for bothering to help me out here, i love this forum.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 22
well i have heard about the POWER ACOUSTIK SPL 1200 WATT 2 CH AMP (Bridged Max Power: 1200 Watts • RMS @ 4 Ohms: 250 X 2 • RMS @ 2 Ohms: 300 X 2 • RMS Mono). $150 shipped. Would that do?

PS: Heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-SPL-1200-WATT-2-CH-AMP-NEW_W0QQitemZ584726450 5QQcategoryZ18796QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 182
art, 1 ohm is not the issue. The issue regarding caps (which are never the answer) and alternators is power, and if you're looking for an amp that's close to or more than 1000w the best type for you would be a class D which is what the Hifonics is.

On that boss amp - 1200w is the max rating. It's rated at 200w x 2 at 4 ohms, so at BEST it could only be 400x2 at two ohms, but another thing that stands out is that it only has 2 15A fuses which is basically a guarantee it's no where NEAR 800w. I would guesstimate it at 400 REAL musical watts.

My amp recommendation for you would be this --
http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/2307

It will give each sub a little over 500w and do it very efficiently. It would give you more power and use the same or even a little less current than that audiobahn.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 23
THANK U OPTI....I NEEDED SO MUCH HELP!!! as you can see im a newb 2 to this tuff....but how do u think i did...somewhat good i hope?

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 24
by the way thats a good recommendation...lol... im putting that in my book...thats a really good price...hey art dont even look into that Power Acoustik that was a really low end recommendation... That directed amp looks really good!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
ok i think this one will do, now in order to get the wattage i need to bridge the amp adn connect the subs in parallel right?

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 25
which amp are u talking about?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
lol, well tanx to both of you guys, yeah i like the recomendation too but will the S/N ratio be a problem at all.

Bronze Member

Kansas City, MO USA

Post Number: 26
no that shouldnt be a problem...basically n e thing over 80 will work...if it is a problem you have 90days so just send it back...iight finally you found "your" amp...well im gonna go nice talkin to you...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
ok more questions, is this amp two channel, it gives its power at 1 ohm, again i want to avoid this.i dont want to deal with bigger power sources.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
sry to have to keep bugging you all but i just dont seem to fint the right one,i want higher than 1 ohm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us