You can get a very deep bass in any amp, by rising the gain

Silver Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 161
If you want to get a very DEEP bass, but Play your system to 2/4 of maximum volume, then you can raise your gain level, BUT DONT PLAY IT LOUD, because you may clip your subwoofer too much and damage it.

if your volume goes from 0-60, then your maximum now MUST be 25-30, higher than that you most likely will damage your subwoofer, but if you keep it low 20-25, you should get a very deep bass, with minimal or no distortion at all.

Try it.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5129
That is a good way of blowing your amp. It doesn't take much. Your guide of 2/4 of maximum volume is misleading too. Some amps will die before reaching that, while others may survive.
If you max bass boost or tone controls on your HU, it'll also have dramatic effect on volume level.
In summary, not a good idea at all.

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 163
ok, that's assuming your amp has much power about 1.5 times your subwoofer.

2/4 of your headunit volume, bass boost to 1/4 or to 0, gain to 3/4 (lower volts), bass control in your headunit to 0 (flat).

for instance my amp is bridged at 500w rms in mono, and my subwoofer is rated at 330w rms

my headunit max power is 2.2v and my gain in my amp is set to 0.4v, bass boost to 1/6, my frequency cut at about 90hz.

I use headunit volume 25 as a maximum out of 60.
And it sounds mucho. Distortion is very little (if any).

Could I still damage something if NO DISTORTION is heard?

I guess not. (I GUESS).

comprende?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 165
You're just limiting the voltage on the HU, and adjusting the gain accordingly. There's no rational explanation as to why that would effect bass output unless you have a HU that reduces the low end at high volumes.

The only certain result your method will produce is an increased noise floor since the difference between the signal voltage and the floor voltage is so much smaller than it could be just by adjusting your gain correctly.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5131
Have you seen what'll happen to amps when over driven? What may appear to you as "NO DISTORTION" could actually contain lot of it.
Depending on the amp's design(QA), some may produce very little, while others can double or triple the distortion.
Unless you have very exceptional hearing, it'll be quite hard to detect at moderate to low volume, especially with bass.

Get yourself a signal generator, scope and DMM. Then run the same test and see the results. You'll be surprised.

Bronze Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 33
2/4? Reduce your fractions douche.

Bronze Member
Username: Crazydude

Post Number: 84
lol. thats funny.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 298
this guy always starts the craziest threads...
u guys should be used to it by now. lol
hes normally in accessories..

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 170
It ain't a "crazy" thread, it's just something I noticed and was supposed to share with you.

Songs like "CRY BABYS" from LUDACRIS play with MUCHO BASS.

at 20 and more at 25 (which is "my maximum" volume out of 60, because I use mucho gain)

Anonymous

U r the dumbest motherf0cker i have ever come across in my life............

What u said is so STUPID that i wont waste my time to tell u why.

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 168
99% of ALL anons are douchebags. Just out to cuss the foreigner out cuz he's got more bass than you, coksucker? Well, just go suck on another one, fagboy. Until you fagets grow some hair on your nutz and REGISTER your little names and then actually say something even 1/2way intelligent, the real brains & coolcats of this forum (eg. Isaac, Joe S., GlassWolf, Jonathan and others) will continue to baffle you with their knowledge, and stomp your a$$es in the dirt like the litlle crybabies you are. Punk

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 555
Personally, I like to hear the highs, not just the bass. If I wanted bass only, I'd go get some bass mech. or other bass tracks.

Just curious, Panamanian, are you new to car audio? I used to do very similar things, until I learned how enjoyable actually hearing all the different pieces of music in a song come together could actually be.

Seth

Silver Member
Username: Reloaded

Mebane, NC U.S.A

Post Number: 104
Well said Seth. This is very true not recently did I notice that with my new install that Bass isnt the key. The bass can drive me crazy when I cant hear what the people are saying, and everything else music has to offer. "A SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE WELL ROUNDED TO REALLY BE ENJOYABLE" Alot of BASS is ok from time to time but sometimes I'd rather listen to the words. Seth has a good point.

Silver Member
Username: Reloaded

Mebane, NC U.S.A

Post Number: 105
I mean too much Bass will rattle your side window off lol , it juss happened to me but I got it fixed. Silicone works wonders if I might add.

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 173
well, answering to your question.
Yes I'm very new in car audio.

And yes, I like MUCHO Bass. What's wrong with it?
(normally i lower the mid to only hear the bass and minimal voice)

Username: Jester10788

New Jersey U.S. of A!

Post Number: 6
"2/4? Reduce your fractions douche."

Lol Demon, IDK why but that made me laught out loud in the middle of class.

I'm new to car audio and gain is something I still don't get at all. There are so many topics on it, but many different points of view. More bass is good, but the last thing i'd want to do is damage a sub.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 184
gain: a sensitivity adjustment to allow the amp to make optimal power at the same point the HU produces peak unclipped voltage.

Setting it too low keeps your amp from producing the power it's capable of, setting it too high causes it to clip which, one - sounds bad, and two - CAN damage speakers if they can't handle the extra power.

That is the only point of view.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us