Need Help with System

Username: Mahabali

Post Number: 2
Hello Everyone Im new to the board, this is my first post.

I used to be really into car audio, but that was years ago, I am just now starting to get back into it.

Over the past couple of months I read up a bit and shopped around on ebay, for a nice system for my 1997 4runner.

Heres what i got

Alpine CDA-7977 Head unit.

I was going for a fairly good system so i didnt need a deck with any power, i wanted to do it all with amps, plus i got a really good price on it.

Secondly I got a JL 10W7 in sealed box, to power it i got a JL 500/1

I then got an Infinity Perfect 6.1 Component set for the front which is powered by a JL 300/4

By this point I was about out of $ so in the rear doors I put some Pioneer 5-1/4's that i had, also powered by the 300/4

The install was finished a few days ago. It sounds really good but not quite what i expected.

It is loud, and hits hard, but it is weaker than I thought it would be. I get distortion past volume level 25 But I understand that it is only a 10. Just a few questions.

1. Was my selection of equipment good? What would you have done differently?

2. Would a capacitor help?

3. Also I have an Optima Red Top I could put in it, would that make a difference?

4. Comments? Suggestions? (keep in mind my car stereo budget is very close to depleted)

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3661
1. Your equipment was a great pick, if u want a nice sql setup u did a good job

2. A cap would only help if u already had an HO alternator, a cap will only make ur electrical system work harder. Good Guide http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

3. The red top upgrade would be very little, unless u had a ho alternator.

4. U should definitly look into upgrading ur electrical system, and what where u looking for in ur system, since u said its not what u expected??

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 739
I am an alpine fan myself, but there are HU's out there that have higher voltage on RCA outputs than alpine. On their lower end models you will get 2 volt RCA outputs. On their higher end models you will get 4 volt RCA outputs. The higher the voltage coming from your HU, the stronger the signal, the better the output will be coming from your amp.

Your drivers Qts is .537 which is suitablpe for a sealed box. What is the volume of the box? Is it within the recommended volume?

Check your gain setting. Is it set right?

Is the amp in bridge mode?

Are you getting the most out of your amp?

Is the crossover setting set right on your subwoofer amp?

Also, try facing the sub twoards the back window if it is installed in the trunk area. If it is installed elsewhere, then try facing it downwards. These practices will usually give more output.

Some people believe that you get a better sound stage by eliminating the rear fill speakers and running just the front sets. This may allow your sub to be more noticed volume wise.

You may also consider a HO alt. Your charging system may not feed your amps enough amperage or voltage.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 768
if you want to get away from the distortion, turn the gain down on that amp if your going to turn your radio up high, turn your radio to the loudest point your going to maybe listen to it, then adjust the amp accordingly.

Username: Mahabali

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the advice!

In response to mixneffect q's

I had the system installed by the best shop in town. He spent an entire hour tuning it, so I would assume it is at its optimal settings. The selad box is to JL specs for the W7 and it is facing towards the rear window.

What I was going for was a system that hit hard but I also wanted sound quality and clarity. that is why I went for the sealed sub and the Infinity perfect component set.

Dont get me wrong, it sounds good, I was just expecting a little more from all of this expensive equipment. But like i said before it is only a 10" sub.

i wanted the 12w7 or 13.5 but their big $! then I would have had to step up to the 1000/1, also big bucks! I probibly just should have. Oh well
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us