Just installed my orion and i got nothing. any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 214
i just installed my orion 4002 to run my front speakers. my speakers have an external cross over so i hooked the negative to negative and positive to positive then ran that to the amp. i didnt change any settings on the amp from when i first got it. so the high and low pass cross overs are off, the gain is just over half way, and its set to stereo... i dont know how those things should be set but i dont want to go changing things without knowing what im doing... it almost sounds like the speakers are only getting power to the bass because i can hear that a little bit when i turn it up, otherwise they just whistle quietly, getting louder and quieter as i speed up or slow down... any ideas, i know there are some pros in here that this is probably an easy fix for thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10836
make sure power and ground are solid connections.
each channel of the amp should be wired to one of the component set crossover modules' inputs, with the tweeter and mid connected as labeled on the crossovers.

set the gain to about one-quarter to one-half of full.
set switch to high-pass
set frequency to 80-120Hz range
phase at 0 (zero) degrees
bass boost circuitry disabled or off
make sure the RCA lines are connected between the amplifier and the front channel head unit outs (not sub outs)

see if it works

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
what do you mean by not subs out? like on the back of my head unit? because i had subs hooked up before and i changed it to this amp that is going to my speakers.. i never changed to where the rca goes into the head unit... i know that there are 2 RCA outputs on the back of my head unit (its a pioneer) so would one be for a sub's amp? and the other for speaker's amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
what do you mean by not subs out? like on the back of my head unit? because i had subs hooked up before and i changed it to this amp that is going to my speakers.. i never changed to where the rca goes into the head unit... i know that there are 2 RCA outputs on the back of my head unit (its a pioneer) so would one be for a sub's amp? and the other for speaker's amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
glasswolf is that what you mean?

Silver Member
Username: Nemen

Trinidad & Tobago West...

Post Number: 102
lol this is what he meansyour head unit has 2 pairs of rcas they should be labeled front and rear try to switch the rcas to the front outputs see if it works.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
ok thanks i get what you mean, but if i had it hooked up to the wrong ones then wil that do any damage to my speakers? or will it be ok when i switch them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
no it wont cause any damage.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10846
yeah, most head units have 3 pair of RCA outputs.
front, rear, and subs.
the sub output only puts out bass frequencies so you need to make sure you're using the correct RCA pair from the head unit. It's easy to get them mixed up if you're in a hurry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
ok i switched that and it sounds good except it has like a whistling noise all the time. i can hear it the most when the volume is all the way down and when i step on the gas it get louder and when i slow down it gets quieter. i have no idea what it is i tried changing the frequencies for the low and high pass but that didnt help, also it is louder then i have the low pass off i have no idea what i did????

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4338
is ur main power cable passing next 2 ur speaker wires or rca wires ??? - if yes separate them ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
i have the power wire on the right side of my car and my rca's on the left and i have one speaker wire on each side (the left on the left and the right on the right) should i put them both on one side? and if so what one? the side with the rca's? or with the power line? but if only one speaker wire was passing wouldnt only that speaker make the noise not both?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4341
just yesterday i was running mine so do like me , on 1 side of the hump run ur power wire on other side of hump run ur rcas & on left & right of the floor (like where the seatbelt is) run L/R speaker wires . Ur amp remote wire can be run anywhere along the flooring but i prefer not 2 be near other wires ...

Try this out & let me know if it works ..........

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
what hump? so your saying run my rca's and power on one side and one speaker wire on each side?
right now this is waht it looks like...
LEFT SIDE
(looking from
back of the car)
Power wire
Amp remote wire
Left speaker wire

Right side
RCA's
Right speaker wire

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4344
hump is the transmission tunnel that runs between ur seats - lol , i call it 'hump'

if those wires are together like what u r descibing then thats the source of noise filtering into ur music - separate em like i posted above & see what happens

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
i separated them as much as i could but they are stil only inches apart i dont know where else to run them because there is no other way to the back unless i rip up my rug and run them just on the floor and then i can space them evenly but i would have bumps in the floor

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4349
well idk man - only thing i can think of is if the car itself have some electrical wires nearby to urs causing interferance

or

if not could be ur ground wires may be a bit slack ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
ok i rewired my stuff so that i have the power line on the left side with the amp remote wire, then on the right side i have the RCAs and i ran the left speaker wire through my head liner on the left side and the right on the right side this way none of the wires are touching EXCEPT for the power line and amp signal wire from my head unit, and i still have that like humming sound and it still gets louder every time i step on the gas, so i tried finding stuff that would make it better and i came up with this....

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=003S25A

or...

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-SNI-1-SNI1-Ground-Loop-Isolator-RCA-Noise-Filter_W0QQite mZ5847356121QQcategoryZ50552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

do you think that eather of these will help or should i get both? i've never used anything like that before so i dont know if they will help or not

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
can someone help me out i really want to solve this noise problem

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
nemen glasswolf or anyone else who knows about this can you help me out please????

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
well i've never used the one from crutchfield it says is for the power wire so i dont know but i've used the oned with the rca's and it has worked great. some cars just are like that youll hear hear that little noise constantly.

Did you sand down the metal were you grounded your wire?

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
well i got my first first system installed at circuit city and these are the wires from that so i havnt even looked at where they have grounded it, but i think that i am just gonna get that rca thing on ebay because its not much and i need to fix the noise... is there any place around like circuit city that carries it so i dont have to wait for it to come in from ebay?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10857
that whistling is caused by one of the following:
bad ground point
gain on amp set too high causing feedback
defective amp

turn the gain down to minimum, and raise it just to the point you get decent volume, and no higher. see if the signal is clean.
if not, re-ground the amp to sanded bare metal.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 728
Can't a ground loop cause that problem? Alternator noise?

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
thanks glasswolf, i already ordered that thing on ebay for the RCA's but i will check the ground tomarow and then try that thing with the gain because i think i have it just over half, and i had planned to run all 4 speakers (2 on each channel) but when i hooked them up it sounded like crap so i took off the back ones and i just have it powering my front ones at 4 ohm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us