Alpine Type-X Subwoofer Wiring Help

Username: Grat81

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,

I am new here and this may or may not have been posted before. I just received two brand-new 12" Alpine Type-X subwoofers via fed-ex today and I was wondering about using the 4-ohm or 1-ohm configuration with the dual-voice coils.

I am using an old JBL 1200.1 mono subwoofer amp that has been cranking power to my abused Infinity Perfect 12.1's for 4 years. Supposedly, the amp is stable at 1-ohm but I am reluctant to put my new alpines to one ohm without an "OK" from someone (lol). Also, I have heard that using the 1-ohm configuration can put messy muddy power into the subwoofers, so I am worried about this. If all else fails, I can use the 4-ohm configuration and not lose my hearing. Please give me some advice! And, no, I am not willing to buy a new subwoofer amplifier. Me = broke until next year.

I have enough juice to the amp -- extra battery (optima) and 200 amp relay. Everything has been working perfectly since installed years ago.

Please let me know, and thanks for the help :-)

-G

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 397
Putting it to 1ohm will not harm the amp and the SQ is not an issue when putting it to 1ohm. I am worried that you are going to clip the shiit out of that amp tho, which might cause the subs to blow. You really need more power than 1200watts. 4ohms will not give it close to enough power so thats not an option.

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 3
Are there any cheap fixes for dealing with clipping? What exactly would cause the clipping? I would think that 1200 watts would be sufficient for the pair even though they can handle 1000 RMS, but the 1200 watt rating is at 2 ohms.

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 4
also - I usually keep the gain down (near 1/2) and I am not a huge bass-head. I like it loud but I'm not one of those kids that rolls around in their Grand Marquis with 18"'s if you know what I mean.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4300
just get a new mono amp like a orion 2500 .......

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 5
*sigh* can't afford a new amp atm.

the JBL won't handle these new toys, eh?

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 398
ahh im not sure do u have any details on the amp itself? because i dont know much about the older JBL amps.

Clipping happens when the amp cant keep up with the power of the subs so it puts out more power than it can handle.

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 7
This is probably the first 1200.1 ever made. I *think* I found the right one from cardomain:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBP12001

If this isn't the exact amp, it sure is similar to the one I own.

Thanks for all the help, guys (and girls?)

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4302
if u are NOT a basshead why did u buy type Xs ?????

u should return them & buy a pair of 2 ohms dvc 1222 type Rs instead ......

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 8
lmao I wanted a pair of badassed subs. I am replacing an abused pair of Infinity Perfect 12.1's (very old, and survived an auto accident).

I was going to buy a pair of 12" MTX9500's but heard bad things about them so I went with the Alpine's instead.

Why settle for R's when I can afford X's? :-)

Who knows... maybe I'll shell out more $$ for a better amp. My birthday is in February. For now, I'm going to wire these badboys at 1-ohm and pray that they don't die by the time February rolls around. *knocks on wood*

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 9
Any suggestions on a killer 1-ohm stable amp that could handle these subs?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4308
like i said above orion 2500D

don't get kicker 05KX2500.1 cause its only 2ohms stable

u fell into a trap that alot of ppl also fall into - they think hey 2 powerful subs ONLY 500 bux BUT when u look 4 a good amp 4 it u will realise that u have 2 spend around $700/$1000 on a good mono amp 2 power it ....

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4309
like i said above orion 2500D

don't get kicker 05KX2500.1 cause its only 2ohms stable

u fell into a trap that alot of ppl also fall into - they think hey 2 powerful subs ONLY 500 bux BUT when u look 4 a good amp 4 it u will realise that u have 2 spend around $700/$1000 on a good mono amp 2 power it ....not 2 mention that a high output alternator upgrade WILL be needed 2 supply the needed current ...............

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 10
I'm using a 200 amp stinger relay from my car battery to an optima battery in the rear. I think I have enough current.

The new Orion line is dissapointing and I have heard bad things about it.

The new JBL amps are powered by Crown. I may look into one of those if my old BP1200.1 can't do the job. Like I said, I will probably hook 'em up and give it a few weeks before I crank them hard and see what happens. At the first hint of clipping, I'm tearing that JBL out and doing some shopping.

The only Orion 2500 D's on Ebay are stupid westcoast customs editions (lol) ugly!

Thanks for your input, Rovin.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4311
JBL amps are pretty decent so u could buy 2 of those 1200.1 amps

also check out Crossfire , Diamond audio , MMats , JL amps too

like u said go easy on that amp u have .....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us