Off topic lol - - good air intakes?

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 484
What company makes good air intakes. I want to put one on my 97' f-150, but I really don't know much about them. I was looking into Volant and K&N 77 series, there both about the same price, but which is better, or is there another company thats better?

thanks

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 223
K&N makes the best!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5206
K&Ns are great. AEM has a new intake/filter system that doesn't require any oil for the life of the filter. All you have to do is clean it and go.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1542
injen

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 485
alright thanks fellas, I'll look into gettin that K&N air intake, maybe if im lucky it could count as a late Xmass gift lol. (couldn't find an injen intake to fit my truck) Anyways, while were on the subject, are there any other not-so-expenive upgrades for engines. I already put in a hypertech power programmer chip. Is there anything else that I could do to the engine?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5207
Exhaust upgrades are next in line. Underdrive pulleys can help, but I don't recommend them since they'll slow down your water pump and alternator.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 487
hmmm I was lookin into flowmaster for an exhaust system, what about headers, would those make much of a difference, and mass air flow sensors, whats the deal with those. Sorry for my dumb questions lol but the car engine isnt really a strong subject of mine.
Thanks for the info though!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5209
Headers will give you a larger power increase than mufflers will. Exhaust upgrades don't give you the substantial power increase that it used to because factory systems have gotten much better over the years. You'll still see an increase, but it isn't as much as you'd see if you were upgrading on a car from the 70s or 80s.

Upgrading the MAF sensor basically just allows a smoother flow of air into the engine, since the sensor causes turbulence. They can also be more accurate than factory sensors.

Bronze Member
Username: 78elcaminoman

Dallas, Texas United States

Post Number: 83
flowmasters sound like tin cans when u drive, and i would go with hooker headers if they make them for ur truck, as far a mufflers, i would have used trush, but they went out of busness, but im sure u can find something, i mean if u like flowmasters go ahead, everyone has there preferances

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1544
i thought trust is greddy now.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 488
hmmm I've always liked the way flowmasters sound lol. I found some hooker headers that fit my truck, but theres two diff types, one set has equal length, the other doesnt have an equal length. Whats that mean lol is it important?
Thanks for the responces!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5210
I like Flows, only real bad thing is that they tend to drone. Equal length headers used to work better with the old 5.0Ls, but I couldn't tell you which would work better with the Modular V8. I'd guess equal length, but they'll cost you more.

Anonymous

Dont you gotta get a new Head, for your Headers to work, because the stock holes aren't as big as the new headers your putting on?

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 458
K&N makes the best intakes for trucks but for cars w/ higher performance engines Injen and AEM are better. not sure if borla makes and exhaust for a regualr F-150 but you could look into that.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 489
alllright, I'll start savin some cash and go for the K&N air intake, than maybe later on ill go for the exhaust system. thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 397
get a full exhaust with headers and youll be straight for cheap but decent mods

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1285
Yea, you need from the headers back. When you just slap an "exhaust" without any headers, you really aren't opening the flow up as much as you need to (especially with an intake). They're pretty much for sound...

As for exhaust, I really like Borla. Cost a lot more, but I've yet to have one of mine go bad on me... And I put the exhaust on my Camaro about five years ago...

And for air cleaners, I like AmsOil filters. But that's just me... K&N are pretty good, but I really wonder on their ability to really filter the air.

Another thing you might want to look into if you're going for a lot more performance is a cam, roller lifters, and some aluminum heads. The aluminum cools faster (keeping air/fuel mixture a bit cooler) and they're more for performance (smoother surfaces, less edges). There's a lot of debate on aluminum heads (good or bad), but as long as you stick with a good set, I've never had any problems.

MAS is a good upgrade too, along with injectors, intake manifold, and computer... It all depends on your pocket book... And mines getting thinner every day.

Again, just my .02.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 494
dang thats a lotta stuff lol.... i dont really know what a cam, roller lifter, and intake manifold are, but i'll look into them! thanks for the .02!

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1301
LOL! Richard: I'd be careful. It's addicting. It's like Heroin (never tried it, but I'm assuming it's something like it...). I've spent countless hours and money on my cars... Just stop while you're ahead, I warn you! When you get a bill for $2,800 just to have your heads ported and polished, you'll realize how much it really sucks!

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 495
"It's like Heroin (never tried it, but I'm assuming it's something like it...)." hahahhaha car upgrades to herion... now thats an analogy lol. hmmmm im prolly not gonna put to much more $$$ into my truck though... its a 97 f-150... im on my second tranny and my second starter... and theres bout 180,000 miles on it lol. I think ill just wait till i get a new truck sometime in the future for some big upgrades lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us