Please help me figure port size!!!

Username: Irupp33

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Ok I have everything i need to get started building except for my port size(I dont know how to do the math) My box is a wall type box for 4 12's, I want to use a single big slot port. (This design is what I want) Im using 4 lanzar max12d subs (qts. 0.47)(fs(hz) 33.6)(Vas (cuft) 3.1994) Can somebody please calculate a proper port size for me so that my box comes out tuned to around 33hz? Thanx for the help guys! click the link to see a rough (very rough) drawing on how I want the box to look)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/irupp33/ported.jpg

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1423
you need a lot more information than that... how about i give you a helpful site so that you can figure it out. and just to note, the volume its talking about would be after port and driver displacement. you see, in order to tune a box you need to take into consideration not only the width, height, and length of a port but you need to know the volume of the enclosure.

wow, actuallt right now the site isnt working... im sorry

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 2
how much more information do i need? Im sorry i forgot to mention the box is going to be 10 cubes before port displacement.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1425
when the website is working i;ll figure it out.... i live in spring hill/ weeki wachi area btw.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1427
oh and btw all the interior specs would be nice to have...

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 3
interior specs are 38.5x33.5x13.5 you shoulc come down and check out the box when i start building, i live hudson springhill border.

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 4
Ok im not sure how acurate this website i found is but this is what it gave me. A box with 10.07 internal cubes would need a port that measured 3" tall by 24" wide by 9.19" deep and i would get a tuning frequency of 33 hz. Could somebody please double check this for me? Also if it is right would i need to build the box bigger to figure in port dissplacement?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1430
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1431
yes that would be correct ( your calculations)
and yes u'll have to fiugure in the port disp... i'll get working on it... notice to find port displacement you need to just find the volume of the port, its easy. say for example that port u just posted... 3x24x9.19 now remember the wood ur using to make it. technically this wont be a true slot port form ur picture so it will be like this.... 4.5x25.5x10.69 = .71 cuft. so now mess around with that...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1432
quick correction. dont add the 1.5 inches to the port length or as u refered to it "deep"

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1433
okay ive got it... 24x3.25x14 .. your net cuft will now be appx 9.075 ur tune will be appx 33hz and ur port disp will be appx 1cuft.... i just noticed u havent built the box yet.... are u set to that size? because if u add more volume can can get a larger port area. because u said u wanted a BIG port... but thats not that big actually... only 78 in of port area where my box for my 4 15s will have 180 sq inches of port area. just if u want too....

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 5
Well what would you recomend? 40 in wide is max and 35 tall is pretty close to max but i have about anothe 10 inches in depth to play with. Mabee if u can give me some measurements that would be better i could go off that. Also will the subs im using be a big factor when im designing my enclusure?

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 6
And what am i going to gain out of more volume and port area?

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 7
?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1460
okay more volume will one allow your subs to play deeper. and 2 with a higher volume you can increase port area without having a super long port length. and the more port area the louder it can get. but i see your subs as the greatest fault... you had to get lanzars? lol i would personally try to get 3 cuft per sub so like 12 cuft net and a port with a port area of atleast 100 sq in. but im on vacation right now so im not going to mess around designing somehting right now sorry. but i'll be back the 28th or 29th i think. if u live on the spring hill border u probably dont live more than 10-15 minutes away form me depending on how close you are to 19. if ur close to 19 thats good cause i can drive to the spring hill waterfall in like 8 minutes and county line in like 10-12. althought i dont have any experience in building walls....

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 8
I Live right off of 19 and about 3 minutes from countyline. it'd be awesome to have somebody help me out who know more than i do...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1476
when i get back in town i'll start working with that program to design a box. im currently building my broither a system and my best friend a sytem which are both very intricate (fiberglass and mdf enclosures) so i;ll be kinda busy for now. start looking up how to build a wall. if u dont knwo where to start. start a thread asking for a link on DIY building a wall.

Hudson, FL USA

Post Number: 9
oh i know how to do it, plus i work consturction so i have every tool imaginable its just the design thats holding me up, not the actual build.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us