Caps?? why??

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 404
is there even a point to getting a cap...everyone just says they wont do anything..but they are a lot cheaper than a HO alt.

if i have an orion 2500d...is tehre a cap i can get to make it run?

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 353
nah dont waste time with the cap , with that much wattage you need a ho alt

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
what would happen if i just didnt get a HO alt.

would i just not get full power of the amp?

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 355
www.bcae1.com look around there a lil bit

Username: Gichlid

Warsaw, NY USA

Post Number: 1
why caps, personally people say they are easier on your alt. (wrong), really all what they do is provide a serge of power when your amp hits, but what i don't like about them is when a capaciter discharges it basically fully discharges and your alt. has to charge it back up before the next big hit, so it is constantly charging and discharging, which inturn makes your alt have to push out the amps, then stop then push out amps,push out the amps, then stop then push out amps... ect. that will lead you alt to fail after time, in my opinion if you have the room, wire a second bettery (DEEP CYCLE) parrallel with your cars stock battery, the second battery will provide the power needed to hit consistanly, and it acts as a 'current pillow' for your alt. so when your amp hits it will pull mainly from the batteries, and your alt. will only have to put out a consistant amount of amps, were with the cap you alt will be consistantly fluctuating amperage.
i have a stock alt. in my 99 dakota. i have never had to replace my alt. and have been pushing 1600w for 3 years now threw my 15"

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
okay so instead of buying a new alt. i can just get a battery...??

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1528
chris did you wire a second battery? i was thinking about doing that but i thought having a second battery to your stock alt means more work for your alt to charge it. if that second battery thing works then i might just try that out first before i get my alt upgraded.

the quote i got from high output alternators.com was $575 for a 200a alternator. i think that is a bit too high.

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 357
what amp is your alt. chris ?

Silver Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 358
dang ive gotta try that now lol , i really dont want to get a new alt. right now

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 548
Chris, I'm not trying to be offensive, but your post is completely inaccurate. If you're not 100% sure on the information you're giving out, please, just remain silent.

Adding a second battery in paralell will not fix this problem, it will, in fact, make it worse. What's going to happen is, you will still be drawing more power than your alternator can provide, and it will just take longer to notice the voltage drops. But then, it will also take twice as long to fully recharge them, which means your alternator is gonna be working a LOT harder.

Also, about the post regarding your alternator starting/stopping/starting/stopping, etc... Uhmmm... Care to explain why you think it would do that with a capacitor, and not a battery? The power is coming from somewhere in either situation, so I'm curious to hear about your logic.

Third - a second battery dosnt give your alternator a cushion. All power drawn will come from your alternator first. If you have a good alternator, your batteries wont even get touched. If the current was drawn from your batteries first, then your amp would always be getting a 12v charge, instead of the 13.8-14.8 an alternator provides.

Chad, I recomend going to www.excessiveamperage.com. I got my HO alternator from Nathan (200 amps) for under $300, after shipping. Had it in less than a week, too.. (and he lives on the opposite side of the country I do, to boot.)

Now to get a bit more technical, the reason you cant say a 2nd battery is similar to a big capacitor, is because a batterys ESR (basically a measurement used to determine how fast something supplying power can actually supply that power) is MUCH higher than a capacitors. If you're getting a cap, try to find one with an ESR of .0015 ish.

Now, the argument about if capacitors actually help the sound? I'm not going into that. I really dont know, so I'm not going to even try to pretend like I do. I dont hear a difference really in my car without any capacitors, and when I use over 15 farads in low ESR capacitors.

Check out this example, it's a simple one really.

Upload

So, no matter how big your jar is, if more water is pouring from the leak, than the faucet, sooner or later, it's going to catch up with you.

Adding a 2nd battery is like adding a 2nd jar to the equation. Only thing that's really going to fix the problem, is adding a HO alternator, so your glass dosnt empty.

Two flaws in this example, is that with your cars electrical system, the water would be drawn from your faucet first, then the jar. But for all intents and purposes, its a good example I think.

2nd flaw being, the more your battery discharges, the lower it's voltage (Yellow top optima's are pretty good at remaining 12v through the duration of their discharge, but most batteries are not).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us