Help me with my box. What do i use to cut the hole n get it even.

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
what do i use to cut my hole. and how do i get everything even.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 463
table saw and a cumpass

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky.. USA duh

Post Number: 1304
Im only helpin u cause u support the seahawks....Router is the best

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1415
table saw? lol do u mean jig saw? a router is a great tool for that. a jigsaw can be used as well. however, your hole does not have to be perfect, as long as everything is air tight you'll be okay.

Silver Member

Post Number: 466
thats it the jigsaw, i got them confused, my bad

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
where can i get a compass. i need one big enough to make a hole for my cvr15

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 335
u need to get the direct middle of the front panel, then make the circle with a protractor. then jig saw it out

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1518
do what i do. just put a nail on where you think the center should be then cut a piece of thick string and attach a pen to the other end and draw the circle. of course you have to measure the sub and divided by 2. lol. it worked out nice for me.

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
guys i still dont get it. ok i need to make a box for my cvr15. ok i really dont wanna do it with string and a nail. how do i precisely draw my hole for the cut out. i cant seem to find a compass and im not familiam with routers and all that. i have a jigsaw and alex said use a protractor but i dont really know how to do all that.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 338
to find the center, heres what i do. say the front of the box is 12x12x12.i go up on 1 side 6 inches. then i go up 6 inches on the opposite side.then connect the lines so i have a sraight line across.then i do the same to the top and bottom.so the front of the box looks like this +.the center is in the middle of the cross

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
ok alex we are gettin somewhere. ok my hole cut out is 13 7/8. i understand how to find the center. but what about cutting that 13 7/8 diameter out. how do i do it.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 340
u get a protractor so that its 6 and 15ths inches long. thats i centimeter from 7 inch. so that if u double it, u will get 13 7/8. then u make ur circle

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
freehand alex

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 342
u understand it? lol i thought it was confusing.

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
aw i get it alex. i wasn't thinking. i can just get a compass with a diameter of 8 in and that'll work. for some reason i was thinking i had to draw a full 13 7/8 from the center to make my diameter but i only need the radius. thanx alex and everyone else.

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 346
NO! not 8 inch!6 15ths inch. just i centimeter before 7 inch. if u did 8 inch, the whole would be 16 inches around.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 416
a centimeter? lol

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 347
yea, 6 inches and 15 centimeter.lol

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
alex where can i buy a compass

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 357
no, u need a protractor. try walmart

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
Alex, 6 inches and 15 cm, thats a foot

Silver Member

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 358
the cutout diamater is 18 7/8

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 321
the nail and string works perfectly fine.alot of people uses that.even carpenters.

Silver Member
Username: Greeney

Grove, MN US

Post Number: 163
haha, take a ruler, drill a hole through the 1 inch cause obviously u cant drill through zero and then count out half of the circle and drill another hole through there on the ruler , hammer a nail into the center of the mdf where u want it, place the hole with the 1 inch through the nail. take a pencil and stick it through the other hole a draw ur circle. cant get any simpler then that

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 346
so many methods , i think the nail and string works good , my friend has made a couple of boxes thats what he did

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1519
hey mike thanks man. i never thought about using a ruler. that is a good idea. you can't get more precise than that. lol. my next box no more strings. i am gonna use a ruler.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1520
"table saw and a cumpass"

lol nolimitsoldier. i am laughing at the "cumpass"

Go Seattle Seahawks
Unregistered guest
yea mike thats hella simple. save me some change lol.

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 192
can't you just put the sub upside down on the wood and trace around it? Or, maybe that would be too big and the sub would fall thru, I dunno I guess that is why I got a box with a hole already in it heh heh

Silver Member
Username: Greeney

Grove, MN US

Post Number: 166
the sub would fall through LOL

Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 4
yea pretty much lol.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 408
Trammel points work very well for drawing circles.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1416
wow, you guys are thinking too hard. this is elementary stuff.
alex, idk how you use a protractor to draw a circle. they are used to find angles... a compass draws circles.

there are many ways to do this. if you want to use a jigsaw just draw your perfect 13 n 7/8 inch circle...
to do so you can choose a few methods... but first
draw 2 lines crossing over the center from corner to corner. where the lines meet is the center.
now..
1) you can nail or screw in a nail or screw lol in the center and either use the ruler and put the center screw or nail at zero or use the string method and measure from the center point of the string where it is tied and measure 6 and 15/16 inches. at this point put your pencil. now draw your circle....

2) or the much easier method. use your compass and place the pivot point at the "center point" where the lines cross. now open the compass to 6 and 15/16 inches. now draw ur circle. next. drill a hole with a drill right inside of the circle big enough for the jigsaw blade to fit in. now begin cutting around the circle. sand it a bit. now drop the sub in and make sure everything fits perfect. if its too tight just keep sanding until the sub fits into place.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4469
I have always used the way Mike described it is by far the easiest way I have found!

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1434
thats a good and accurate way but c'mon a compass is by far the easiest lol. no drilling and yada yada. altho the easies way for the PERFECT circle is a router with a compass built on... lol im trying to talk my dad into buying one

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4108
like they did not teach basic geometry in some of u all schools !?

or like some ppl were asleep in class during that time - lol ..............

Username: Bies08

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 1
WOW!so when i got my 2 12's...they came withe like a outline of the sub, but it's small than the actual sub..so it worked PERFECT!i took a pencil and drew around the inside of the board..cut it out and it fit PERFECT!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4149
yeh - some speakers/subs come with a cutout template .....

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 368
omg......this is like....common sense dude....any how.....

if i didnt have anyting available id use a ruler,measure the radius,find the center and keep drawing dots all around then when i finished id freehand the circle and correct any mistakes when cutting......trust me i did this already and it worked
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us