Amplifier power problems, HELP!

Username: The_dave

Post Number: 1
i have a jbl amp rated at 260w rms and my alternator is 70A. the amp protection light remains on all the time with power comin on every 4 seconds or so

is there anythin i can do to fix it

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 714
Check all your wiring, right off the bat. Ground, power, your remote seems to be ok since it's turning on, but going into protection. Also, check that you have your subs wired correctly. Check for any small threads of wire from the power or sub wiring coming off touching anything.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 531
power suupply problem(internal on amp)

Post Number: 2
i havent wired the subs up yet but i was told by a friend to check all the wires so im gonna do that. he says its goin into protection cos theres to much power gettin to it an its stoppin it from shortin. might have shorted a wire or something.

could it be protectin cos the subs arent wired up and theres no where for the power to go?

Silver Member

Post Number: 547
no, normally when an amp goes into protection when power is applied, it is the amps power supply. double check wire if you want to and use volt meter to test volts on red and blue(amp turn on), if those are good, then that amp is bad.

Post Number: 3
i have a cable for high power supply on the amp itslef but havent fitted it yet
would it help to fit this?
also the power wire is 10 gauge an someone said it should be 8 guage? i also have a fuse of 30 which seemed high

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
use 8 or 4, fuse s/b at least 60

Post Number: 4
the amp i have is the JBL 75.2 at 260w rms and a JBL 1202d which i bought as a deal which came with a wiring set, Autoleads pc4-20 so it should all be fine to work with. will have to check all my connections and see what happens then

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 98
10ga pwr/gnd shouldn't cause the problems you're having.

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 99
besides - with no load on the amp you should be able to get it to power up fine with almost any wire.

Possible DOA for your amp if you've got everything connected correctly.

Post Number: 5
got my amp workin, ground wire wasnt connected properly. surface was greasy on connection
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us