Lights dimming/wiring

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 453
Hey, I was reading about the big 3 wiring, and it had me thinking about why my lights are dimming.

I have a 200 amp high output alternator, and optima yellow top battery and 1 gauge wiring, and I'm running an orion 1200d (1200 watts rms at 1 ohm) and an alpine amp for my 2 jl 5x7 speakers(about 100/125 watts ish to each speaker(rms). This is all in a '97 ford f-150 ext cab truck.
My problem is at night if I turn my system up high like 30/33+ on the volume my lights dim a little bit, its not that bad but its noticible. With the 200 amp alternator I thought I'd be fine. So I'm guessing that the wiring is messed up or something. When i was reading http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801 ,it said "Run the wire either through your fuse box if applicable or through a fuse. The fuse should be sized to match the max ampacity of your wire, not the output capability of your alternator." Well the wire from the alternator connects to a stock 175 amp fuse box, and then on the other side of the fuse it connects to my starter( I believe, I don't know a whole lot about car engines and stuff, but its a black thing that looks like about 10 half dollars stacked ontop of eachother lol). And then from the starter it connects to the battery(I have 1 gauge running from the starter to the batt.) I have 1 gauge wire running from the alt to the fuse box, but then the wire out looks to be about 4 gauge ish, a lot smaller than the wire into the fuse. So I guess my question is should I upgrade that smaller wire from the fuse to the starter and/or add a fuse from the alt to starter to bat instead of the 175 amp one I have, if so what size please.
Thanks for the help!!

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 399
something else is wrong, did you cahnge the ground to your alternator also, try that. that amp does not dram that much, that your upgrades should have fixed it.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 454
alright, i'll take a look at that, anyone else have any suggestions?

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 455
Hey, pleeeeeasseee help me lol

I took a couple pics... here they are http://www.picturetrail.com/richarddrahcir , its a lot easier looking at them then me trying to explain.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 461
bump

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 462
c'mon people lol I made a picturetrail account, dug out my digi camera and all that good stuff. helllppp meeeee!!!lol

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 339
Richard, the fuse size isnt going to matter. If you haven't blown it, you're not pulling over 175 amp of current. putting a 300a fuse isn't going to help. I'm not completely sure of your setup, and I looked at the pics. :-) but... you need to find where your engine block is grounded.. ugrade that cable with 1/0. find the cable that goes to your fusebox from your alt, upgrade, fusebox to battery, upgrade (that's how mine was in my jeep--alt-fusebox-battery) then upgrade your battery to ground cable)... Your headlights still may dim slightly, especially at idle.. this is OKAY.. the alternator cannot react quickly enough to the amps current demands, thats actually what a capacitor is for!, yes they have a use lol...

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 463
lol thanks for the info, I was just gonna go with a battery cap, but then people said that with my alt I shouldnt have any light dimming problems at all and it got me allll confused lol. I might look into those batcap 800's, the people who have them seem to like them. I already have all the wires cept the fusebox-batt wire upgraded to 1 gauge (i'll upgrade that),but will upgrading all the previous 1 gauge wires to 1/0 gauge make a difference?

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 344
yea man, a cap DOES have a purpose! the problem is people put a cap in and think they have solved their charging problems..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us