13w7s in convertable backseat

Anonymous

If I were to put two 13w7s in the back of my spyder eclise, how much sound would I actually lose with the top down? I plan on completely customing out the back seats, and having the subs face up, and put amps in the trunk. I'm not sure about the physics of air pressure, and how much of a difference it will make and all? will I need to worry about dynomatting anything? Oh I will build a ported box to house the subs, and have 2 jl 1000/1s. basically, would it be worth all the money to spend on the 13w7s to put them into a convertable? thanks

Username: Cj80

BFEGermany

Post Number: 3
You'd probably just piss off everyone within' a 20 block radius. With those subs combined with that amp I really don't think you'd be losing much of anything except for your hearing..You have to ask yourself "if I didn't put these in..what would I put in?" you can always take them out later and nothing is permanent unless you customize alot.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2483
" two 13w7s in the back of my spyder eclise, how much sound would I actually lose with the top down?"

probably about -6dB just to road noise. any time the top is down on a car the noise floor jumps way up and any chance of SQ goes out the window.
It'll still be loud as hell though

" completely customing out the back seats, and having the subs face up, and put amps in the trunk"

if you're taking out the back seats anyway, go the route this guy did with his mustang:
http://www.dbdrive.net/gallery/00mustang.htm

" will I need to worry about dynomatting anything?"

Dynamat is useful to reduce metal vibration and lower the Fs or transfer point of the car. it never hurts.

"Oh I will build a ported box to house the subs, and have 2 jl 1000/1s."

great amps, but I'd go sealed with that much power and those subs.
They'll hit so freakin' hard anyway that you won't even notice the los of the 3dB going ported to sealed, but you will hit a lot lower, and with a flatter, smoother sound curve, improving SQ quite a bit.. you also get to use smaller enclosures to do it.

Anonymous

so no SQ? hmmm.. will it improve quite a bit if I sound dampen the rest of the vehicle and put the top up? the SQ mean, I'm sure they'll be more than loud enough as they are now. There is probably no way I can really make the top hold in sound better huh? anyways.. also, with those 13w7s, do you always suggest sealed boxes? like in suvs and hatchbacks and just normal trunks and crap? cuz i might have to move them out when my mom wants her car back lol (she lost her license haha). so I can't completely rip apart the back.. tho I want to take the back seats out. Il'l have it till about when i graduate, but then Ill need some kind of other car for when i go to college.. got any suggestions for those subs lol? oh decent gas mileage too.. lol.. probably a hatchback? I kind of want a focus..

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2511
yeah go sealed.
the issue with that car is when the top is down, you'll have 90dB of road noise to contend with and you just don't hear detail at that volume of noise floor.
it'll sound fine with the top up or sitting at a light

Username: Markd

UK

Post Number: 7
glasswolf, how does dynamat lower the transfer function? i thought it would be the same for a fixed distance.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2524
lowers the resonant frequency of the cabin, actually.

like wrapping foam around a bell.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us