Blown Subwoofer :-(((((( RFR3112

Bronze Member
Username: Ruxpin20

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 12
I have a rockford fosgate power hx2 12 inch sub and i am pushing it with a bp1200.1 amplfier and the damn thing blew, unfortunaly the warranty is already up and i dont wanna just throw it out.
Im pretty sure, after reading a little up on the subject that it is the voice coil which overheated.

So what are my options in fixing it?
What is reconning?

O and by the way i called the local shops, Mickey Shoore and Car Tunes, in detroit and they told me to just "buy a new one".... Yeah okay ill just spend hundreds of dollars every time i blow a speaker right and ill just give it to them every time......lol

Anyway i just need a good opinion on what to do in this situation? Shall i fix it or "buy a new one".

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3089
new one, whats ur budget

Bronze Member

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 13
o yeah and is fixing it worth it?
and will the subwoofer still be able to handle the same wattage?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3091
its not really worth fixing, (rf is not that good just average)

Bronze Member

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 15
i really only wanna spend like 200 to 300 dollars on the sub(s) depending on what i get.

Bronze Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 90
Could get an RESX15" or 18" .. depending on how much room you have. $240-$265 shippecd

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3873
save the sub and cut off the magnet and such to use it as a passive radiator in another install using smaller subs than the radiator.....youll learn something from the experiment and get use out of a blown speaker that would otherwise be thrown away

Bronze Member

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 16
okay heres my dilema, i would like to have a 1000 watt sub and a huge amp pushing it but the alternator, which i just installed last year, dosent seem to appreciate it. So i was thinking maybe a 300 to 400 watt sub or pair of subs that i could push and this would not kill my alternator as fast....hopefully...

Any ideas for that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3874
what size alternator is it?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3093
even an sx 12 would be better then the hx2

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 93
True that.. 1000watts RMS? Two type Rs would pair that good.. and fit your budget

Bronze Member

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 18
its a stock 97 civic alternator, i think the max amps it makes is like 70 and 35 at idle or something like that, with the amp i got now the thing dims the lights horribly and just sucks too much power

I really dont wanna replace the alternator because its a real pain in the a$# to get the thing in there without taking off the front driveshaft.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3877
thats not much alternator

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 95
Quite limited with that size alt. Could get an optima yellow top, might help you a little bit. Cap will fix your light dimming prob. I'd definatly upgrade the alternator though, it would be worth the effort rather than limiting yourself for a little hassle...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3878
pay to get it installed and youll skip all the headaches lol

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 97
^Ditto^.. doesn't look like there much getting around if unless you want to settle for less. Should not cost you too much to get a new one installed. heh, might even find someone you know who can do mechanic work and just buy him a pack of beer or something to put it in :P

Bronze Member

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 19
okay, so say i do get a high output alternator say around 160 amps, will that be enough to power my 1200 watt amp?

And i was thinking of getting ither 1 or 2 subs maybe one RE sx12 that could be wired to 1 ohm and i could send all 1200 watts to it or maybe 2 RE SE 12's that i give 600 to each, is 1200 too much for the sx? or will it be okay? because my power hx2 couldnt handle it too well and that had around the same power rating...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3879
that would be around 120 amps so yes you can get away with it but you might have slight dimming

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 98
160A should be alright.. SX should handle it as well

Bronze Member

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 20
have any of you guys seen or heard of on here someone using a jbl amp on the RE subs? and what do you guys think of the old jbl bp series amps?

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 100
JBL makes some decent amps in my opinion.
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/brands/reaudio.htm
There are a few on there powered by JBL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3880
my buddy has a jbl bp 1200.1 brand new never used for sale $200 plus shipping
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us